Today I painted the callipers, decided to do them indoors as it was crazy cold in the garage. Turned out not bad.

DSC_0129_zpsjcpc9cqn.jpg

I then went about stripping the rear beam. Suffered from the classic rounded carrier bolts so got inventive with a grinder and screw driver..

DSC_0121_zpsx2yp6vaf.jpg

Done a trial buff to see how well the wire cup I bought was going to work. Turned out alright. Will probably end up shot blasting all the nueks and crannies but we shall see. Also had to butcher the brake compensator as the bolts were seized..

DSC_0131_zpswfvyggoa.jpg

DSC_0132_zpscpiwqvoo.jpg

Also bought these a while back from the US. Major pain to find!!

DSC_0130_zpsowc3zc7z.jpg

That's it for now!:)

A little update. After searching for about 3/4 days straight to sort out the rear brake situation. The solution was polo 9n. Went to the local scrappy and luckily found a 9n! Got about hacksawing the rear hub assembly off. A few bloody knuckles later I had both sides..

DSC_0001_zpsnollzl05.jpg

Went about splitting them to get hub and stub axle. Will replace hub/bearing before final fit but though I'd try it with the parts I have.

DSC_0005_zps7fuppecp.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsb76hf5ce.jpg

Also instead of using the axle spacers from a lump gti, I'm going to try and use there bits from the polo 9n axle. I've hacksawed them off, and will get them milled down at work to fit!

DSC_0008_zpsckyutztx.jpg

DSC_0009_zpsztdxarza.jpg

Hopefully get a trial fit mid week:)

Cheers!

Little update..

Got all the bits I needed for the conversion. Including milling down the axle spacers and cleaning them up.

Few pictures..

DSC_0033_zps7tsmhqu4.jpg

DSC_0032_zpslqprmq0b.jpg

I then went and got some longer bolts for the stub shaft as the spacer now needs to be attached. Also for the calliper carrier

Mounted them up with a washer in between the carrier and spacer. Need a slightly thicker spacer between carrier and axle spacers so will get them made up at work. Pic of it all mocked up..

DSC_0030_zpsb2mdzbzi.jpg

DSC_0031_zpsziqi6wos.jpg

All for now, hopefully get the callipers rebuilt this weekend and get the set up fully mocked up. Cheers:)

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd give this a little update as it's been a while.

Finally got round to getting the rear beam shot blasted.. Was going to get it powder coated but I'm skint and still needed to burn out the remaining rubber from the bushes.. So here a pic of before, during, and after while it's getting primed ready for paint

DSC_0067_zps2ph1iprw.jpg

DSC_0071_zpsq3lawcj1.jpg

DSC_0085_zps8tcvugo6.jpg

Brackets done too..

DSC_0072_zpsrkfrm1d6.jpg

DSC_0076_zpsrmutbwcn.jpg

Also got some B5 S4 callipers for basically nothing, I'd have to go 17" I think to run them but it's always an options.. Few before and after primer..

DSC_0079_zps1mj8kfy5.jpg

DSC_0083_zps77wiyhgy.jpg

DSC_0047_zpshnwjnvzz.jpg

DSC_0075_zps1uv5qtbi.jpg

Sorry for the pic heavy nature but thought I'd get some pics up! Next up is a change of paint for 256mm brakes, paint rear beam/mounts and order some bushes and a pressure regulator. Hopefully date with more progress soon:)

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd get a small update. Painted the rear beam with some hammerite spray. Which wasn't the best so might recoat with some better paint. Also finally rebuilt and painted the rear calipers in blue. Ordered some polybushes for the rear beam which should be fitted this week. And also ordered a rear Arb which will hopefully be here by the weekend.. Few pics:)

DSC_0146_zpsv76ys351.jpg

DSC_0147_zpsgbp6cugr.jpg

DSC_0149_zpsstxhzqu1.jpg

DSC_0151_zps9lwciir6.jpg

Hopefully get a new brake proportioning valve ordered soon so I can get the beam fully build and back on:)

Edited by Cooz93

Got everything mocked up but struggling to see where the abs sensor will go. I found a thread online that had a Diy for it but the only pics I couldn't see are the ones explaining where the sensor goes!! Anyone got ideas? Was considering notching the hub to make the sensor fit but really unsure.. Any input? DSC_0157_zpsinz9upot.jpgDSC_0159_zpscx86frf5.jpg

Edited by Cooz93
  • 2 weeks later...

Small update. Pretty much for the rear beam ready to go back on. Sorted the abs issue with some fabrication. Will let pics do the talking..

DSC_0141_zpsrob8swao.jpgDSC_0140_zps19eie2mm.jpg

Spaced out the hub so the original abs ring is a snug fit.

Got the beam piped up too. Will need the hoses that go to the calipers but that can be done at a later date..

New compensator too. Pipes were a bit of a pain!

DSC_0146_zpsm7xzx9nl.jpg

DSC_0144_zps51foamo3.jpg

DSC_0143_zpsgho6miva.jpg

Also prepped the rear arb for painting

DSC_0148_zps9izo0gl7.jpg

All for now, hopefully get fitted this weekend.

Quick question, what's people's opinions on grade 8.8 bolts for suspension parts? I bought new bolts for all the mountings but I'm unsure if 8.8 will be enough.. Should I get 10.9? Input appreciated!:)

Edited by Cooz93
  • 1 month later...

Thought I'd give this an update. Finally got the rear beam and suspension all back together. Also mocked up the new rear brake setup but forgot I needed small spacers on the bolts, so the caliper currently fouls the disc. Will sort it next time:) few pics..

DSC_0179_zpsln4sjann.jpgDSC_0031_zpsziqi6wos.jpg

Edited by Cooz93

Cheers guys! Next up will be front brakes. Unsure if I should go 986 2.7 4 pots on a 312mm discs and run 16" wheels. Or go all out and get a porsche cayenne/toureg/q7 set up and run r32 discs with 17" wheels?

Opinions?

Edit. Decided to go 986 frons on a 313mm disc. Easier set up, easier to find parts, and 16" tyres are cheaper. Ordering them next month:)

Edited by Cooz93

New rear brake lines arrived, so got them fitted. They seem a little short, but the fit, and since they are fixed at both ends it shouldn't be a problem. Just need some new abs sensors and it will be good to go..

DSC_0209_zpsm0rrhxyk.jpg

Also started on the front end. Took the struts, hubs and wishbones off. Will clean, paint and give the hubs new bearings as they are a bit rusty.

Also going to do the Cv joints while the driveshafts are out, which I'll also clean up.

Edited by Cooz93
  • 4 months later...

Update time. Been a while. Decided to stop taking bits off and get the car back to a rolling shell until I can find a decent lock up with electricity! Hopefully sooner rather than later

Decided to go with an r32 rear wishbone bush instead of poly, as I think it will be better..

Few pics of prep and primer.

Done the same with the driveshafts which will be built back up tomorrow with new joints.

More to come:)

DSC_0065_zpsgtshufzf.jpg

DSC_0063_zpswy9ulb5n.jpg

DSC_0066_zpsbbnj669c.jpg