Hi guys! Thought I'd get a build thread up to track the progress of my VR project!

My latest purchase, more as a project is a 1992 OBD1 in mystic blue, with 192k on the shell and '90k' on the engine, but no proof of this! Plan in stripping the engine and rebuilding it when funds allow it anyways so mileage doesn't bother me:)

[spec wise for the car it's fairly standard, sitting on some carrado speed lines and some AP coilovers. The interior has been re trimmed in leather and blue suede centres.

Since getting to the car I've done a few things, mainly interior. Changed out the blue/purple door cards for some black ones, along with the centre console and also parcel shelf supports. Plans will be to change the dashboard at some point to:)

Also got a short shifter from besters on here, what a difference!! Highly recommend his work:)

Replaced the headlights with some mk4 style ones aswel..

Apologies for the long winded intro! Will update as and when I can:)

The 'dream' is to turbo it, but that will be a while away!

Here some pics on the mean time..

Thanks for looking!

image_zps00f386e4.jpg

image_zpsf161327f.jpg

image_zpsbe6c084f.jpg

image_zps482c0ad7.jpg

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd give this an update since it's been a while and I've done a little bit of work. Would like to apologies in advance for the poor pictures, a combination of iPhone camera and working in a public underground car park has ruined any chance of a decent photo!

First of all was the dash, the old blue/purple one was removed and a mint black one replaced it. Made a massive difference to the interior. Chuffed with it.

44c1ba18219cded87bcb321f8b71c4f1_zpsts9l also replaced the steering wheel. Not to everyone's taste but I like it!

a19f0a60905071a3c77e690e4892122d_zps07c1

After this, a set of banded steels came up on gumtree and I snapped them up, as I'm going for a more simple/sleeper look

Fronts are 8x16 and rears are 9x16.

df47e5933505e6965709adc03fb7d1ab_zps45ba

Suspension will be sorted after MOT to get it siting perfect:)

Then it sat for a while until I had some free time to start stripping the front end. I started off with removing the front struts and giving them a good clean

c602bc8cd6da6f84f1e818b1ffa966ed_zps5102

d059088cc8a916e1e04c39625d89a455_zpsdf71

Wishbones also got blasted and painted along with new power flex polybushes, which were a total pain to fit!

92552eb0337cc2cc2037eaeaa40fa246_zps8dcd

Think I'll split this update into two posts!

Edited by Cooz93

Update continues..

I also purchased a 312mm brake set up for a good price

Pics of it all fitted up with washers as a spacer. Will make a proper plate at work before MOT

Painted the calipers also

7736b4a8f3bb063857eb0d532d31a904_zps5b4a

0b7b3eab68913115b90e6fe7c53addb1_zpsc322

c67961450ecb53cb6c5f12a98f09976d_zps80a8

Next is to get braided hoses for the brakes when funds allow.

Today's job will be dismantling the rear suspension to clean it up in the same fashion!

In others news, I've purchased a holster HX35 to begin the turbo build:)

Apologies for the long winded update and rubbish pictures. Hope at least one of you guys enjoy it! Cheers!:)

Edited by Cooz93
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Been far too long since I've updated this. With work and not having a lock up for the car progress has been slow. Thankfully I now have a lock up so things are moving on nicely.

Firstly, about 3 months ago I purchased a set of grey/black remarks in really good condition for a bargain price! I've always wanted recaros in a golf so the other interior had to go!

45203A3B-493F-4843-9FF3-271362E28658_zps

1C446A9E-66B9-4898-A068-42D0FDDD21D5_zps

After getting the lock up I started the strip down. Interior came out pretty quick.

I then started removing all trim and bumper to inspect sills and arches. In my opinion they look really good for this age of car, minimal work will need done.

To keep this update short I'll just throw up some pics and let you guys see.

DSC_0059_zpsswdts13z.jpg

DSC_0061_zpsdu57l0am.jpg

DSC_0085_zps8ygzu6ik.jpg

Tomorrow's job is to remove the rear beam and brakes ready for refurb. Wish me luck!

Cheers

Edited by Cooz93

I'm suprised how they look, I certainly would've expected some rot. It's of interest as mine will be having some bodywork done this year and sills are on the list of jobs to do.

I'm was expecting some too. Thankfully nothing going major. Front wings are a little bit grubby but may be salvageable. Passenger sill will also need patched where it's been jacked up wrong. The car is pretty rust free throughout, only very minor spots of surface rust.

Good luck with yours mate!:)

Little update. Got the rear beam off today. What a pig of a job!!!

Bit of advice, remove ALL brake lines, clips, wires, anything holding the beam on. Didn't quite get everything split, just the small box that was on the beam, which I think it's the brake compensator?! Correct me if I'm wrong. Few pics..

DSC_0102_zpsdtqnbp92.jpg

DSC_0103_zps0umitox6.jpg

DSC_0105_zpsfwvgv9od.jpg

Plan is to get the beam refurbished and powder coated, ready for my 256mm upgrade to go on. Hopefully soon:)

Be bloody careful of them mate, this is a pic of my car after fitting the suspension but before adjusting the apportion valve ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422218262.858794.jpgAnd yes, it bloody hurt!

ouch!! That looks a bad one. Car won't be going anything for a long time so will take extra care when setting it up. Is there a trick to it?

ouch!! That looks a bad one. Car won't be going anything for a long time so will take extra care when setting it up. Is there a trick to it?

Im unsure how to set the valve mate, all I know is they can kill or seriously maim if you don't know what you're up to with them! I should think they're easy enough to set up though.

Been thinking about getting round this break bias valve situation. Reading up that later OBD2's don't have it as their abs is better. So I'm thinking how two options.

Retrofit an Obd2's abs system (pain)

Get an in-line brake bias valve, like this.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/brake-proportioning-valves/allstar-performance-screw-type-brake-bias-valve

Thoughts on this? I have a feeling the one on the beam is knackered as I was having major brake problems before I stripped, and pretty sure I've now broken it. And input appreciated:)

256mm rear brake set up blasted ready for painting then rebuild. Hopefully get the first coat done tomorrow. Will also make a start of stripping the rear beam and buffing it down for painting.. More to follow tomorrow:)

DSC_0116_zpsdfqsybtv.jpgDSC_0117_zpsbcsatm3x.jpg

Edited by Cooz93