It's that time of year again, pre-season is coming up and there is still time for you to join us.

What is the VWDRC?

There are two classes in the VWDRC - Sportsman and Pro. Both are open to any vehicle that is either powered by a VAG-group engine or that is built around a VAG car/chassis.

If your car is running quarter-mile times of 12.99 seconds or less then you are placed into the Pro class.

What is bracket racing?

Bracket Racing is a way of handicapping drag racing so that you don't need a super fast pro-race car or a huge wallet to win.

Basically the competitor makes a series of practise passes. He or she then decides the average time it has taken to drive down the 1/4 mile and uses this figure as a 'dial-in' time. This figure can be adjusted within class rules as the meeting progresses. With two competitors ready to do battle these 'dial-in times' are written on the car (usually with shoe whitener on a window).

As the cars come to the famous 'Christmas Tree' (traffic light starting device) the timekeeper enters these times into the computer. A staggered start is thus produced. The slower car leaves first and if both drivers run their perfect 'dial-in time' they will cross the line in a dead heat. But of course this never happens. A driver may react slowly to their green light or may fluff a gear change. They may have even lost engine power. So it is the driver who can most consistently run to their dial-in that wins the day, without running too fast ('breaking out' - going faster than their dial in) or leaving the start line before their green light ('red light', 'cherry' - early bath!).

In short, Bracket Racing is a way of making drag racing "fair" so that it's not just the person with the most money that wins, it's down to driver skill, knowledge of your car and consistency

Edited by Sechs Toy

Race Dates for 2014

Round 1, Big Bang

April 11th-13th

Round 2, Festival of Power

April 18th-20th

Round 3, Spring Speed Nationals

May 3rd-5th

Round 4, Summer Nationals

June 28th-29th

Round 5, Bug Jam

July 18th-20th

Round 6, Open Sports Nationals

August 23rd-25th

Round 7, National Finals

September 20th-21st

We will also be at many other shows throughout the season for either static displays or demo runs

Ultimate Dubs

8/9 March

GTI Springfestival

5th April

Apex Festival (yes, once yearly we go do corners)

10-11th May

GTI International

4-6th July

Public Race Weekend @ Hockenhiem

2-3rd August

VW Action

29-31st August

GTI Festival

5th October

Plus there is about 15+ VR6's racing in Pro and Sportsman so you will feel right at home.

If you want to get started quickly you could build a 14 second car and be racing for under 1k easy peasy and I mean everything, saftey clothes, licences and a competitive car.

There is also money to be won, at each event in both classes

No.1 qualifier gets £20

Event Runner up gets £50

Event Winner gets £100

Plus winnings from the race track, that varies on the amount of entry's in the class

Last years Championship prize fund was

£200 for the APIRA Championship (the 2 rounds at Shakespeare County Raceway count towards their own championship)

VWDRC Championship Winner gets £500 + free race entry to Big Bang & Bug Jam in 2015

VWDRC Runner Up gets £200

That's a lot of return on top of obviously having a LOT of fun

Edited by Major Lucky
  • 1 month later...

Hi all. I have a supercharged mk2 vr6. I took it to santa pod last year and got a 14 second quarter. off the start i had no traction so with drag slicks plus a diff i reckon my time would come down a lot. Basically where in the uk can you buy drag slicks? Thanks. Peter.

http://www.laracingparts.com

Or

http://www.topspeedautomotive.co.uk

Your gonna be looking at £350-£450 for a pair, but you can expect up to a second off your time with a set of drag slicks, so they out way there costs.

Slicks are not measured in normal sizing I.e 155/50/16 etc it's done in inches I,e mine are 24.5/8.5/13

Tyre height/tyre width/wheel size

Choose wisely as the wrong set can alter your gearing, or hinder a time.

Edited by Major Lucky

With round 1 approaching the entry list is out for Big Bang

VW Pro

Glynn Morgan - Turbo Beetle

James Hodson - 20vt Golf

Nick Edwards - Turbo Beetle

Carl Goldsmith - 20vt a Golf

Ian dale - Turbo Beetle

Darryns Coleman - Turbo beetle

Dave Bridge - turbo buggy

Bruce Collins turbo beetle

Jacob bailey - R32 Jetta coupe

Paul Jordan - 20vt Rocco

Paul Bargate 2l 16v Scirroco

Sportsman

Jason Anslow - NA Beetle

Nick Edwards - Turbo samba bus

Ed Keech - NA Vr6 golf

Fran Herbert - supercharged Vr6 golf

Justin Waddington - 1.3 polo

Adrian London 1.3 polo

Dave lea - nitrous assisted vr6 golf

Richard brook - 2l 16v golf

Polly judge - 20vt golf

As you can see a nice mix of cars, with a good number of rookies.

We have also hired Santa pod on the Friday of Big Bang for some testing, if anyone want to join us for some rwyb action it's £25 to VWDRC members or £35 if not (but you may as well join the VWDRC for £10)

• 2 weeks later...

WOW what a weekend.

VW Sportsman qualifying was so tough, the top 4 were all bang on their dials

1. Adrian London 18.150/18.15

2. Abi Teither 14.901/14.90

3. Paul Day19.112 /19.11

4. Dave Lea 14.107/14.10 (VR6OC)

5. Ed Keech (VR6OC)

6. Justin Waddington

7. Polly Judge (VR6)

8. Fran Herbert (VR6)

9. Richard Brook

10. Jason Anslow

Both VR6OC members Dave Lea and Ed Keech enjoying round 1 victories but fell in the second round,

In PRO, Jacob Bailey overcame gearbox issues (nothing a 3 hr round trip and 2am rebuild couldn't fix) to make it all the way to the Final narrowly loosing out to James Hodson in the well known mk2 20vt golf

Roll on the weekend for Round 2 Festival of Power, if your free why not pop along and cheer the guys on.

Was a great weekend. Definitely worth a trip down, it's damn close. Was disappointing to fall in qualifying from 2nd to 5th but like Luke said it was incredibly close above, and the VR kept getting quicker and making me break out. Since it's my first event can't really complain though. Lost in the second round of eliminations by 0.0070, which equates to 11.7 inches! Talk about close! Also got a new pb of 14.62! Roll on Friday when we do it all again! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Little Round report after Round 4

Summer Nationals (or quickly becoming known as rain nationals)

Leading up to the weekend was sun sun sun, but looking at the forecast we knew it was gonna tight so this meant that every qualifier we got was gonna have to count.

Sportsman leader Adrian London had his first bit of bad luck with the stand in passat, which involved a quick trip to the motor factors for a fuel pump, but he didn't let that spoil qualifying with a No.2 spot, Vr6oc racer Dave Lea took the No.1 spot with a 14.00 on a 13.95. Fellow club member Ed Keech couldn't keep the wining streak going and ended up last in qualifying still by only one tenth off.

In Pro James Hodson needed to do well this weekend after missing round 3 and boy did he perform, in what was the closest run of the weekend James took No.1 spot with a 10.767 on a 10.75, in the other lane Paul Bargate ran a 12.319 on a 12.30

Unfortunately this is where the weekend ended, we already knew it was eliminations time but we were teased with a gorgeous summers morning tricking us to think we would get some rounds in.

Annoyingly it was a case of Rain, dry, rain, dry and when we finally got into the lanes at 4.30pm the heavens opened calling an end to the weekend.

Next round is Bug Jam, as usual the entries in both class swell so more points will be available, fingers crossed for sun

• 2 months later...

Well I did rubbish at keeping this up to date.

Bug Jam has been and gone, Open Sports Nationals has been and gone, Ed Keech a fellow Vr6oc member won the APIRA Championship in VW Sportsman and now goes into this weekends event the National Finals in No.2 spot in the VWDRC Championship.

There will be a group of VR6OC guys coming along to support and watch the action, more the merrier.

We have got Ed Keech in title contention, Dave Lea in runner up spot contention, Jacob Bailey (R32 Jetta) has a fight on his hands consisting of James Hodson 20vt and Jordy (20vt) for the VW Pro Championship title.

Not to mention Ed and Dave will go head to head for Rookie of the year title.

And and Dave is also up for the title of most consistent Qualifer.

Man, there is so much on the line........be there!

• 3 weeks later...

I thought now the seasons done i'd post a few pictures up from my first year with the VWDRC to show you all what you've been missing out on! ;)

10603541_652875268152948_525359095391335

1237059_580969098676899_7672642291026387

10264962_577943515646124_214522210911293

10157237_666423986798076_230843013622118

10632593_652875238152951_134893898651941

10620826_652875324819609_752571300438664

10680124_652875191486289_719978290782178

And of course i counldn't forget.... me winning the championship and a big trophy! :D:ph34r:B)

10622768_664178150355993_510962772924825

All thanks to the mighty VR6! :wub:

• 3 months later...

It's that time of year again, pre-season is coming up and there is still time for you to join us.

What is the VWDRC?

There are two classes in the VWDRC - Sportsman and Pro. Both are open to any vehicle that is either powered by a VAG-group engine or that is built around a VAG car/chassis.

If your car is running quarter-mile times of 12.99 seconds or less then you are placed into the Pro class.

What is bracket racing?

Bracket Racing is a way of handicapping drag racing so that you don't need a super fast pro-race car or a huge wallet to win.

Basically the competitor makes a series of practise passes. He or she then decides the average time it has taken to drive down the 1/4 mile and uses this figure as a 'dial-in' time. This figure can be adjusted within class rules as the meeting progresses. With two competitors ready to do battle these 'dial-in times' are written on the car (usually with shoe whitener on a window).

As the cars come to the famous 'Christmas Tree' (traffic light starting device) the timekeeper enters these times into the computer. A staggered start is thus produced. The slower car leaves first and if both drivers run their perfect 'dial-in time' they will cross the line in a dead heat. But of course this never happens. A driver may react slowly to their green light or may fluff a gear change. They may have even lost engine power. So it is the driver who can most consistently run to their dial-in that wins the day, without running too fast ('breaking out' - going faster than their dial in) or leaving the start line before their green light ('red light', 'cherry' - early bath!).

In short, Bracket Racing is a way of making drag racing "fair" so that it's not just the person with the most money that wins, it's down to driver skill, knowledge of your car and consistency

2015 VWDRC Championship round date

Round 1 Festival of Power 3-5 April - Santa Pod

Round 2 Big Bang 24-26 April - Santa Pod

Round 3 Spring Speed Nationals 2-4 May - Shakespeare County Raceway

Round 4 Summer Nationals 27-28 June - Santa Pod

Round 5 Bug Jam 17-19 July - Santa Pod

Round 6 Open Sports Nationals 29-31 August - Shakespeare County Raceway

Round 7 National Finals 19-20 September - Santa Pod

I would love to see some of you guys coming along to cheer on the VR6oc racers or even having a go

• 2 months later...

Round 1 Done, was going well till I red lit in round 1 lol. Feeling like i can be really competitive for the rest of the season now though! Proud to be flying the VR6OC flag with Dave! 

Check out http://www.facebook.co.uk/caseracinguk for photos from the first outing this year. 

Obviously check out http://www.vwdrc.com for points standings or even better if you fancy getting involved and http://www.facebook.co.uk/vwdrc for regular updates and pics.

Big bang is next in a couple of weeks, should see lots of track time and hopefully some PB's!

Edited by Ickyketseddie