My Mk1 vrt 4wd build thread

Hi people I figured it's time to start a thread as I keep putting it off, apologise in advance if there's not a lot of a write up as there's abit of a backlog of photos but bascali I had a small fire in my mk3 so neglect it abit n was Always planning on 4wd it and love the shape of a mk1 and live the berg cup ones so decided that's what I'm doin so here's what I've done so far

ameva6er.jpg9azubehy.jpg

This is how I bought the mk1 shell I wanted a Mars red gti and I spent ages looking then this appeard and the fact it had a cage was good so with it being up for a couple hours I contacted him n went to see it n left a deposit as it had a g60 init witch he wanted to take out

vume5aju.jpgejysypa2.jpg

First thing I did was start painting inside as I was too eager to do something lol

a4ahy5ar.jpge5e7a2av.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It got a lot of good attention at the show but was ear wigging so Ino where to make changes but to be fair all the kids my age so early 20s we're hating on it quite abit prob just jealousy to be fair

After I done the arches I decided it needs some sort of skirt so I attempted at making one but still not 100% with it :/ think I wanted something more box like Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The test fit dident work lol but that was at 2 in the morn so couldent see a lot so fist thing on a Sunday morning I got cutting ;)

As you can see it's a very tight garage that I have to work in so the most annoying bit is squeezing every thing back in the garage after I'm done

veruty7e.jpgyhybe5et.jpgu3yrybep.jpg

After cutting and standing back and looking a lot this is where I was happy with the way it would sit In there so I started to butcher the mk3 for it's mounts

e9uvunyb.jpghapuhahe.jpg

Please excuse the welding I had no gas and it was only a tac

u5azyme9.jpgybunejy5.jpg

This is how it sat and I was happy with it so then started to make a front mount and had some Inspiration from the euro wise bolt in kit so here's my version

4ahepu7e.jpgejybubeg.jpg8ezyte6y.jpg

Then it went back down on it's wheels and it felt like a massive achievement, then I started toying with idears of intercoolers, boost pipes n rads

u6y5u8ag.jpg7y7y2y2e.jpguhu2e3er.jpgve6ynyde.jpg3aname9y.jpg

After all this I binned it all of as it was getting to crowded under there n decided I wanted a rear rad and big intercooler a also adapted a pair of clocks to fit the mk2 dash and picked up the new 4mo set up and bought a nice shiny fuel tank

Just before Xmas managed to get hold of a unit but it had so much rubbish init so took a month on constant cleaning but got to tow the golf there was the scetchey thing I've ever done got my mate to tow it with my car on a bar but I had no pedal box init yet so would not recommend it lol

gede5u8a.jpgybajuzur.jpgbupabehe.jpgba7avabu.jpgtyqavybe.jpgryvudyqu.jpg

Thought il throw in a pic of the pedal box and managed to start work on the syncro rear end I managed to find

Just before Xmas managed to get hold of a unit but it had so much rubbish init so took a month on constant cleaning but got to tow the golf there was the scetchey thing I've ever done got my mate to tow it with my car on a bar but I had no pedal box init yet so would not recommend it lol

cheers mate and so i can keep the 5 stud and for the cvs as the splines wouldn't match unless theres something i dont no lol

Ahh keeping it 5 stud then thats fair enough I'm running 4 stud and I didn't want to buy any new wheels that's why I went sŷncro rear. The splines would match but are the driveshafts the same length? They may need shortening/lengthening.

uqeza6az.jpg

Managed to get the prop on today, used a s3 prop all I did was loose the rubber doughnut thing and take abit of the end where it extrudes so it bolts up flush with the flange on the haldex, dose anyone think this will cause a issue ?

Hmm I thought about this when I did mine, if the prop and diff aren't absolutely 100% lined up then you will snap something very quickly. The doughnuts take up any small amount of play if they aren't 100% also probably be a bit kinder on the prop and diff during engagement. VW put them there for a reason so I stuck with them!

My advice would be for the sake of £50 keep the doughnuts and get the prop shortened.

Oki fair enuf that's kind of what I wanted to no and yeah that's well under stable I figured it's got one so why not haha but no you've said it it would make sense about it snapping something, how did you measure how much to take off matey ?