External Oil Cooler

I have been looking into doing some track days in my VR6 and thinking about getting an oil cooler. I would get one with a thermostat as its a daily driver.

Do you have to delete the original? Do the kits that get sold require additional parts, ie spacers etc? What about the pipes off the crack pipe if original is deleted?

Anyone have any pros/cons to fitting an external oil cooler?

Thanks

you get whats called a sandwich plate, which basically replaces the oil cooler, but i dont know where the crack pipes outlets go, i know if you get a billet one you can get them deleted. then theres pipes coming off to a heat exchanger that you mount somewhere and jobs done :) hope that helps to a certain degree. the downside (Especially if you arent getting a thermostatic one) is they can over cool the oil, it depends how many rows the exchanger has. 

I would recommend not removing the stock oil/water 'cooler'

We sell a tube that allows you to fit the stock 'cooler' along with a sandwich plate.

This way it is not possible for the oil to be cooled below the factory specifications and it allows the water to be heated by the oil during the warm up of the engine.

• 10 months later...

I also used the UM tube and fitted a Mocal thermostatically controlled sandwich plate to feed a 19 row Mocal oil cooler.I never even thought about the benefits of using the original cooler to heat the oil until matey at UM sais so.

Looks trick and no clearance issues :)

734279_10152466855985389_1112960712_n.jp

10639528_10154883330585389_7998802610067

Those photos are spot on. Can't wait to get mine sorted but other issues to solve first so it's on the back burner

• 1 month later...

Hardly anything, when I did mine there was just a small amount as the oil had drained back to sump. Slightly different set up on the MK 4 AUE engine though as the cooler is on top of the oil filter housing.

I removed it totally and fitted the sandwich plate in its place and mounted a 19 row cooler in front of the radiator in the upper part of the grill.

Hardly anything, when I did mine there was just a small amount as the oil had drained back to sump. Slightly different set up on the MK 4 AUE engine though as the cooler is on top of the oil filter housing.

I removed it totally and fitted the sandwich plate in its place and mounted a 19 row cooler in front of the radiator in the upper part of the grill.

Awesome thanks

• 3 months later...

We sell a tube that allows you to fit the stock 'cooler' along with a sandwich plate.

This way it is not possible for the oil to be cooled below the factory specifications and it allows the water to be heated by the oil during the warm up of the engine.

i need this please how can i order one as i wanna also use the stock oil cooler?

• 3 years later...
On 1/16/2014 at 8:14 AM, UnitedMotorsport said:

I want to run this setup with factory oil cooler and sandwich plate for a thermostatic oil cooler. I would like to purchase the extension tube from you. Also, will I encounter clearance issues with the crack pipe if I ran your extension tube, OEM oil cooler and the Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate?

Mocal Sandwich Plate Kit: https://www.bahnbrenner.com/media/php/catalog.php?pid=1390&opt_id=

Edited by travylaflame