My car's on fire! :O

Well that's what I thought last night. COming home from work, I got to overtake a van, I look in the mirror when I've passed him to see my car doing an impression of an F1 car blowing up! Smoke everywhere :o I couldn't even see the van!

I lifted off the gas straight away but it kept coming. I wasn't far from home (1/2 a mile) and I didn't really want to stop on the roadside cos I knew there were fire extinguishers at home. I called my dad to have him ready outside (panicking now) and as I pulled up the cloud errupted :o:o

I pulled the bonnet catch and jumped out, now I'd seen program where opening the bonnet feeds the fire but I decided to risk it.

It was steam :) The relief! A hose had disintegrated and sprayed the engine effectively steam cleaning it which gave it the dirty smokey colour. It even smelled like smoke.

Strange thing was, the car didn't overheat despite having no water in. My mechanic came straight round and found the hose, he also reckons the rest of the hoses aint got long left in them either. The one I need is out of stock in the UK and the factory, he suggested a Samco set but I believe they cost a fortune.

Vento is off the road till I get a hose sorted now :(

There was a group buy on samcos a week or so ago. Check the thread in the group buy section for names of companies and costs. As ACF said the samcos are cheaper than buying a set from VW (just forked out £70 for ONE VW hose the other week as i needed the car and couldn't wait 4 weeks for samcos)