Dilemma....

Evening all,

I'm getting married next April & for our honeymoon we're going to do a 7 day driving tour round Europe :)

My dilemma is that the future Mrs has said we can take the VR6 :D

The problem is.... It's a bloody auto & driving round Europe, down as far as Italy, through the mountains requires three pedals & a proper gearbox!..... So do I sell the current one & buy a manual one or do I convert to manual? Bearing in mind that I have no free time & a 6month old daughter.

HELP!

Cheers

Jamie

Evening all,

I'm getting married next April & for our honeymoon we're going to do a 7 day driving tour round Europe :)

My dilemma is that the future Mrs has said we can take the VR6 :D

The problem is.... It's a bloody auto & driving round Europe, down as far as Italy, through the mountains requires three pedals & a proper gearbox!..... So do I sell the current one & buy a manual one or do I convert to manual? Bearing in mind that I have no free time & a 6month old daughter.

HELP!

Cheers

Jamie

Congratulations on the pending marriage, I think the decision will depend on a few factors :)

1) time / money as you previously mentioned

2) is it worth buying another one if you have done a lot of work to yours? What I'm trying to say is that you could buy one and could have mechanical issues on your honeymoon with an "unknown" car, you'd never hear the last of it from the other half lol :)

If the rest of your car is in good condition and you have a good base, converting to manual will make it more desirable.

It has been done a few times, should be threads covering it on here :) I don't think it's that involved converting to manual mind.

Club Chairman

Thanks Pete,

That's my thinking too, I know the engine in mine is perfect and the rest of the car (bar the paintwork) is very good... I think my main concern is the time the conversion would take, the parental units & my future wife wouldn't be happy if I brought another golf home without getting rid of one. Besides I really like the colour of mine.

I'm thinking if I take it off the road at the end of January & start then at least I've got a couple of months to get it done, mot'd & shaken down.

On the other hand, does anyone know of anywhere up north (Yorkshire/Lancashire way ) that would be able to do the conversion if I supplied all the parts?

Mate,

Congrts on the impending nuptials!!!

I would go a different way I am afraid...  It is not ideal and may not be popular!!

I wouldn't do anything to the car..... Take the auto enjoy the trip and spend the money else where.... It's your honeymoon!!! :D

Failing that you need to look and spend the right money and get a car to the spec you want etc.. The car failing after either you've done work or the issue it would cause on the first trip of your marriage will haunt you forever if you get it wrong...

PS there is more to the change than you first think.  What warranty etc on the gearbox, how many miles before you are happy it is 100% etc etc????  

As Pete says it has been done... just for my money the trip is yours, the rest of it is for the Mrs. and will be held against you until your ermmmm D.i.v.o.r.c.e. if it goes wrong  LOL...

Good luck either way..

Mate,

Congrts on the impending nuptials!!!

I would go a different way I am afraid... It is not ideal and may not be popular!!

I wouldn't do anything to the car..... Take the auto enjoy the trip and spend the money else where.... It's your honeymoon!!! :D

Failing that you need to look and spend the right money and get a car to the spec you want etc.. The car failing after either you've done work or the issue it would cause on the first trip of your marriage will haunt you forever if you get it wrong...

PS there is more to the change than you first think. What warranty etc on the gearbox, how many miles before you are happy it is 100% etc etc????

As Pete says it has been done... just for my money the trip is yours, the rest of it is for the Mrs. and will be held against you until your ermmmm D.i.v.o.r.c.e. if it goes wrong LOL...

Good luck either way..

Cheers mate!

I'm tending to agree with you. After reading & pricing things up it's not worth the risk, I'll get her running, handling & stopping perfectly so that she'll do the trip with no worries..... Then start saving for a Mk5 R32 :)

Cheers mate!

I'm tending to agree with you. After reading & pricing things up it's not worth the risk, I'll get her running, handling & stopping perfectly so that she'll do the trip with no worries..... Then start saving for a Mk5 R32 :)

Question is, a DSG mk5 or a manual?? Having owned 2 mk4 R's obviously being manual, I'm not sure wether I'd try a DSG if I bought another one. Would love to try the launch control feature...

Question is, a DSG mk5 or a manual?? Having owned 2 mk4 R's obviously being manual, I'm not sure wether I'd try a DSG if I bought another one. Would love to try the launch control feature...

I'm thinking I'd have to try both then make a decision. It would depend on how much fun the DSG was. :)