Thought I would stick up a progress thread for my mystic blue 5 door.

Having searched for a while for a project car I decided on a vr6. No luck finding one anywhere then one popped up on gum tree for 450 as needing work for mot. After making a quick call turns out I knew the seller and got it for 300.

This is how it stood.

post-93042-138740740158_thumb.jpg

post-93042-138740743336_thumb.jpg

post-93042-138740747458_thumb.jpgpost-93042-138740749505_thumb.jpg

post-93042-138740751797_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reaperx
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This arrived yesterday thanks to major lucky. So starting to collect parts for turbo conversion.

Nice to see some1 spending the time and money sorting it instead of just breaking it :-) good on ya chap ;-) Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Bonnet and roof now painted pics came out crap using a old iPhone. Before During And after

Posted Images

I was told it needed at least 500 to get it through a mot. But this is what I do for a living so first up I got the sills welded (small patch either side on front). Had to replace 2 brake pipes a rear damper for mot. I also gave it full service whilst I was working on it. Then I just drove it for a while.

Spoke to a relative who had a few vw bits laying around so a quick trip to Scarborough and 100 later I had a k+n induction kit, spare bumpers and a set of 17 inch carrera rep alloys.

Edited by Reaperx

So far I have fitted a new exhaust back box and centre pipe, a k+n induction kit and wing is ready to go on. Also fitted a set of coilovers last weekend. They are cheap eBay ones for now but come with 2 year warranty so will do for now.

post-93042-138740999207_thumb.jpg

Only pic I have after the suspension change.

Next up is replace the heater matrix, refurb my new alloys in anthracite, paint all exterior trims in vw gloss black pearl. Then prep the whole car for paint after New Years.

I have a 1.0 corsa to run about in so the golf isn't my daily driver. Would like to try it one of the reasons I took on a project was to push my limits as a mechanic and also learn new skills. That's why I want to paint it myself and I have a painter to show me and keep me on track.

Sounds like a good formula that. Having a second car (daily) when our VR's are now knocking on abit is a win win situation.

When you drive the daily, the VR feels like it's faster than the speed of light, but also takes out the stress fixing it up and not worrying about it having a flap and breaking down but more importantly your not spanking your money on petrol that could be put to better use fixing it up ;)

Club Chairman

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much to update but exhaust was blowing have sorted that with a sleeve off eBay. Think the coilovers need winding up as I caught the sump pulling onto a 4 post lift. Heater matrix has arrived so will get that fitted at weekend hopefully along with a new sump. Then I can start the wheels and bodywork

I've just saved a mystic blue VR that was listed to break.

Let us know ow you go on fitting the matrix as my car leaks and that's a possibility!!

I am assuming that's what's up with mine as when it get warm it steams up the inside of the windscreen. I'm also going to do the head gasket just to be safe as I don't know where the car has been and I know it will be 100%. Rather spend a few quid on parts and bit of my spare time (when I actually get some) than have to it die on me.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much to update been busy fixing other people's cars, but had to raise the suspension so I could fit the car onto the lift at work.

post-93042-139025965058_thumb.jpg

How it sits at the moment hopefully get a bit f spare time this weekend to fit decat pipe and sort the heater matrix out. Then it's off to a mates body shop whilst its in there I'm going to refurb my Porsche rep alloys in anthracite. Then see what finances I have and what to do next as not too sure.

Edited by Reaperx
  • 1 month later...

Bit of an update heater matrix has been replaced. Exhaust blow has been fixed. Off to the bodyshop at the weekend to make a start on it. Thought I would test fit my other wheels to see if I liked them and they fit ok before I get them returbed. post-93042-139456615466_thumb.jpg

The arch has had a bad knock at some point and the rust is starting to kick in that's why I want it in the bodyshop ASAP. Just need to source a trim piece for it looks like il have to go to main stealers for one. Can't decide if I want the wheels anthracite or vw gloss black pearl.

I paid 100 and got k+n induction kit with maf spare isv pair if bumpers and the wheels and few other bits and bobs. Turns out my cousins wife used to have a vr6 years ago and their shed was full if bits. As for the tyres completely lucky that someone bought a car from the showroom next door and wanted new tyres so I got the old ones with plenty of life left in.