• 3 weeks later...

The mk3 had a 2.8 vr6 12v and the mk4 had a 2.8 v6 24v. Technically the mk4 isn't a vr6 as the pistons are at 90 degree angles ie a v6. In the vr6 the pistons are at a 45 degree angle hence the name vr6 (VR stands for Vee Reihenmotor which pretty much translates to vertical inline.)

As said above the corrado had a 2.9 vr6 12v.

It also may be worth noting there are 2 variants of the vr6 engine. OBD1 and OBD2. All corrados and pre 95 mk3s are OBD1 and post 95 are OBD2. OBD2 is basically an upgrade, upgraded throttle body, abs and few other bits and pieces. Not too difficult to do the conversion though. See more on this thread: http://www.vr6oc.com/forum/topic/7902-is-my-vr6-an-obd1-or-obd2/

It's worth noting that the mk3 vr6 is fwd and the mk4 v6 is 4wd. 174bhp vs 201bhp as standard I think. Not difficult to get a vr6 over 200bhp though.

So much mis-information from people that love the same thing.

The mk3 had a 2.8 vr6 12v and the mk4 had a 2.8 v6 24v. Technically the mk4 isn't a vr6 as the pistons are at 90 degree angles ie a v6. In the vr6 the pistons are at a 45 degree angle hence the name vr6 (VR stands for Vee Reihenmotor which pretty much translates to vertical inline.)

'The name VR6 comes from a combination of V engine (German: V-Motor), and the German word "Reihenmotor" (meaning "inline engine" or "straight engine") - and so is described as a "Vee-Inline engine" (VR-Motor)' - from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VR6_engine

There is no 45 or 90 degree VW VR6 engines.

• The first VW VR6 production engine was 12v OBD1 distrubuter, this was fitted from late 1991 until early 1993, 2.8 in the Golf and Passat,and 2.9 in the Corrado.

• The next generation was 12v OBD1 coilpack, early MAF, 2.8 in the FWD Golf, Passat and USA Corrado, and 2.9 in the Euro Corrado, Passat syncro and Golf syncro.

• The next generation(93 on) was 12v OBD1 coilpack, late MAF, 2.8 in the FWD Golf. Passat and USA Corrado, and 2.9 in the Euro Corrado Passat syncro and Golf syncro.

-VW reported the 2.8 engines(Engine code AAA) to make 174hp and the 2.9(Engine code ABV) engines making 184hp in Passat syncro the and 190hp in the Corrado and Golf syncro.

• The next generation(96 on) was 12v OBD2, 2.8 in the FWD Golf and Passat and 2.9 in  Passat syncro and Golf syncro.

-Here VW report the same power as above, but in experience they make more.

There are other variations of the OBD2 2.8 engine in the Ford Galaxy and VW Sharan, and a 140hp version in the Carravelle(engine code(AES)

• The next generation(late 98) was 12v ME7.1 2,8 in the USA FWD Golf. 

• The next generation(Early 2000) was 24v ME7.1 2,8 in the Euro  Golf 4motion. Engine code AUE 204hp

• The next generation(Early 2001) was 24v ME7.1.1 2,8 in the Euro  Golf 4motion. Engine code BDE 204hp

• The next generation(2002) was 24v ME7.1.1 3.2 in the MK4 Golf R32 and Audi TT. There is a few variations of this engine up to 2008 including the MK2 audi TT and MK5 R32. Engine codes including BFH and BUB >240hp

All of the above examples are a 15 degree VR6 engine.

• Then in 2005 came the 3.6 VR6 engine(BLV) which is a 10.5 degree engine. with direct fuel injection and MED9 control. This was fitted in the passat with 280hp. 
  • Then in 2007 came the R36(BWS) which is the above 3.6 engine with some revisions, This made 299hp

The 3.6 was then updated with MED17 control, then further again with control from a SIMOS ECU.

There are other chassis with VR6 engines fitted, such as the VW transporter. 

This brings us up to date with the rumoured release of another version of the engine.

Edited by UnitedMotorsport

So why on earth isn't the mk4 called a golf vr6 4motion? I've never actually seen under the hood of a mk4 v6 4mo but was always led to believe it had a conventional v6 engine as apposed to a vr6.

Likely because the badges that are on the cars are a branding rather than a description. To VW "VR6" is an engine from the early 90's, not a good marketing ploy to put that on the back of a brand new car 10 years later. On the flip side of that, the Audi TT is badged "Quattro", when it is infact a haldex 4wd system. Quattro is indeed an old name just like "VR6," but Quattro is the name of the very successful 4wd system that pretty much put Audi where they are today, so again a marketing ploy.

Edited by UnitedMotorsport

Likely because the badges that are on the cars are a branding rather than a description. To VW "VR6" is an engine from the early 90's, not a good marketing ploy to put that on the back of a brand new car 10 years later. On the flip side of that, the Audi TT is badged "Quattro", when it is infact a haldex 4wd system. Quattro is indeed an old name just like "VR6," but Quattro is the name of the very successful 4wd system that pretty much put Audi where they are today, so again a marketing ploy.

Makes sense.

IMO they should of made a rwd vr6, not a 4wd. That would be epic. As much as I love a vr6, it annoys me they're fwd.