96 vr6 1st ever project build thread,

Mate... I think it's charger time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly what I've been thinking! Realised I'm missing a spacer/bracket from the kit so the previous owners trying to find it,though I'm still thinking about selling it to buy a rotrex set up.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's alive! https://vimeo.com/127356810 Another box ticked on my bucket list.......own a supercharged car! Love that noise!

Got a few more bits done this week, not as much as I would have liked as works been busy and I've been waiting on bits including the longer belt for the charger that's coming from America and is silly

Finally had some time recently to get a start on fitting the air ride onto the car, I managed to get a hardly used Airlift V2 digital set up with twin compressors at reasonable price, Started with s

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Overdue a little update here I think mostly because of other projects (nothing exciting pond building mostly!). Been picking up a few bits from good old eBay for the interior including chrome handles and seat belt guides,before;buruqejy.jpgafter;ygu3ara3.jpg

Seat belt guides;8y7aqa5e.jpg

Then had a result the other day by getting a mk3.5 steering wheel complete with airbag and slip ring for £35 delivered;9y5esezy.jpgeteny9ys.jpg

Was a bit worn so gave it a polishwith some leather repair paint; y4ajezet.jpga7amevy6.jpg

Then got it fitted;ajyty9e5.jpg

Managed to switch the ignition on with the airbag unplugged so popped it down to work to turn the light off and remembered it had a slight knock from the o/s arb link so went the the local motor factors bought one for a fiver and got it on, much better! 3u3ege7a.jpgydyzuzed.jpg

Cheeky shot of the car outside of work;) ny7e6a2u.jpg

Then realised the exhaust was looking a bit pissed and knocking on the axle so improvised:)enu7erut.jpg

Now she's driving beautifully! Oh apart from hard left hand cornering the bottom pulley slightly catches the chassis leg:( So I've had a spare pulley machined down which I need to get fitted;yvaza9yh.jpg

Edited by bennyk

Weather wasn't to bad I thought, Did most of it yesterday morning well fitting all the bits anyway! Oh I also forgot that the passenger door catch packed up the day of the amd rolling road day so got the 2nd hand catch fitted which wasn't much fun, though I didn't have to wreck the door card like a lot of people on the net seem to think you have to do! The catch on the other hand;ymy3e3ym.jpgudepy6yt.jpgtazehyzy.jpg

I'm now trying to decide whether to get a set of anniversary red seat belts not sure though?

Exactly what I was thinking, the same went for the 3.5 steering wheel as people are asking £100+ for them without slip rings, I've been looking for a bargain set for a while but they don't come up! Theres a set on here in really good nick for about the going price but just can't bring myself to buy them!

Exactly.. That's my way of thinking.. Even though I know I'm going to be spending the money on the car regardless if it's for aesthetics or performance gains but with me it's Sod's law il go and buy it and a few weeks later il see the same thing but cheaper. Does my nut in!

Chrome handles look alright, I've been contemplating them for about 5 years now lol

I've been contemplating them for a couple, do look good in, my thoughts was always that they would be the only bit of chrome inside mine so was always unsure if it would work

Sent from your mums iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been contemplating them for a couple, do look good in, my thoughts was always that they would be the only bit of chrome inside mine so was always unsure if it would work

Sent from your mums iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah wasn't sure about just the handles either,that's why I got the chrome belt guides and I thought the vw badge on the new steering wheel would help tie it all in together,I'm doing my best to brighten it up a bit whilst trying to keep it looking factory....ish, as these mk3 interiors are pretty dull as standard I think, probably why people love ridiculous ott retrims, not a fan!

Is a great project. Considering I live in Mexico is funny how you change your Euro spec bumper for an US Spec bumpers, in my country We like more Euro spec bumpers and unfortunately for Us it is not quite easy to get one of those, unless we pay a lot of money, since the Euro and pounds are quite expensive.

Is a great project. Considering I live in Mexico is funny how you change your Euro spec bumper for an US Spec bumpers, in my country We like more Euro spec bumpers and unfortunately for Us it is not quite easy to get one of those, unless we pay a lot of money, since the Euro and pounds are quite expensive.

The things we do just to be a little bit different! You can hardly give standard euro bumpers away over here, is it the same in Mexico with the US stuff? I think the US rear bumper has a better shape to it though! Edited by bennyk

The things we do just to a little bit different! You can hardly give standard euro bumpers away over here, is it the same in Mexico with the US stuff? I think the US rear bumper has a better shape to it though!

All US spec are the same for Mexican spec made by VW Puebla Factory, since all the Golfs for the US market and Canadian market were made in here, it is easy to find any exterior or interior part, but talking about the engine, thats the part where we struggle more to find new parts since the engine came from VW Germany and many of our local dealers have parts in stock for cars less than 10 years.

• 1 month later...

A couple of pics of today at Volksfest London, was a really good day, lots of interesting stuff going up the strip including an absolutely immaculate split screen camper with a supposed 500bhp!! Doing 13 sec quarters:o Also won a top 10 watercooled trophy after entering my first ever show n shine, so well chuffed with that! umydatyj.jpgabe2u7y7.jpg4e4u6y2y.jpg

Edited by bennyk

Not at all mate, we still had a good laugh just a shame we didn't save it till this week and had a 20 mile round trip instead of a 280 mile one! Was a lot more interesting things than dsg r32's and gti's going up the strip as well!! Lol

• 4 weeks later...

Great work on this mate, I'm a painter myself so I can fully respect and understand how much work you have put into this :) Jealous of a fair list of parts you have on yours, namely the Schrick manifold and the Hella Quads with the mint OEM covers!

Thanks mate! It was never the plan to go all out with it at the start but being in the trade it'd be rude not to! (Plus wanted to prove to myself that I could do it!)Got really lucky with a lot of stuff the joys of eBay and getting really lucky with the schrick and other bits because I wouldn't have payed the full whack for them!