96 vr6 1st ever project build thread,

Hi, going to try to do a bit of a build thread for my new project which was a bit of an unexpected bargain buy from eBay, it was sold with a clutch that needed doing,(nylon bushes on the pedal had disintegrated) 68p or something later from vw this was fixed;) touch! Abs pump needed changing,(it didn't was the front right sensor £10 later fixed!) Luckily for me it was a bit undersold in the advert as it wasn't mentioned that there was 17 stamps in the service book,half we're main dealer and half were from the phirm who seem to know the car pretty well,apparently it had a shrick manifold on it but this had been removed from the car by the previous owner VRT in Slough who sold it as spares or repairs on eBay to me! If anyone knows anything about the car I'd love to know more about its history,apparently a bloke called Michael owned it for the last 8 years ish?

Anyway the car as I got it with horrible crystal lights etc! mahypubu.jpganesu6as.jpgutehy5as.jpg2u2e3eme.jpg

Edited by bennyk
  • Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's alive! https://vimeo.com/127356810 Another box ticked on my bucket list.......own a supercharged car! Love that noise!

Got a few more bits done this week, not as much as I would have liked as works been busy and I've been waiting on bits including the longer belt for the charger that's coming from America and is silly

Finally had some time recently to get a start on fitting the air ride onto the car, I managed to get a hardly used Airlift V2 digital set up with twin compressors at reasonable price, Started with s

Posted Images

First things to do were to get rid of the lights a get some some oe fogs and cl orange indicators as I've got a thing for US cars with the running lights in the indicators etc, and some cl rear lamps which I have tinted the indicators red on,asa9ajar.jpgnaqe3eny.jpg

Then got a tailgate with no spoiler as mine had a couple of big dents on, plus a bumper from the same person as mine had a fair bit of damage after 17 years and 170k of driving had taken its toll! £50 for the pair bargain! a3unu8uv.jpgapera2a7.jpg

Then did the most important thing and got some coilovers on it, they are ebay special prosports but for the price you can't complain ,plus the ride isn't to bad considering how low I'm running it! ame9yzy3.jpgaqy3a7u6.jpg

Then found a bargain set of hella quads in as new condition apart from a crack on one of the housings and a new early chin spoiler8y6uta9e.jpg

Edited by bennyk

There was quite a few other issues, it needs a windscreen, and the front wings are rotten amongst others,wouldn't have been worth paying someone to do it but as I'm in the trade it didn't matter to much, got a few more bits done this week including the new private plate I bought for it, was the first private plate I've ever bought and I was surprised at how easy it was to buy and get on the car! ha8enu6a.jpgpa5e8e9a.jpgudugava9.jpg

Then the headlamp covers I ordered turned up,gave up looking for original hella smoked ones and got these for £28 delivered,not genuine but fit really well, though if anyone on here has got a good near side original hella smoked one I'll be very interested in it! eqydetu6.jpg

And finally for this week got the golf 3.5 stubby mirrors fitted as I hated the originals with a passion! Managed to buy a pair of 3.5 mirrors for not much money as they had no glass and the housings were cracked which didn't matter to me and a pair of polo 6n2 mirrors that weren't as much of a bargain! 2u7e2ybu.jpg involved a lot more trimming, filing and messing around than some of the info I found on forums about the swap would have you believe! a5e2ajan.jpgga2u2a6y.jpg

Edited by bennyk

After buying the plate my tip would be to go directly to the dvla website, at first I found it on a brokers website for £320 odd quid. Then I looked on the dvla website where it was £250 including all transfer fees and vat, a bit of a bargain I thought! A bit undecided about wheels apart from they're going to be 16's of the porsche or Mercedes variety....... I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought that I'd get started on the bits of rust on the floor pans this week, I've got 3 bits to do on the floor,one of which is the usual from what I've seen! One of the rubber drain plugs(if you know there name and what they're for I'd love to know!?) The others bits of rust need to be done from underneath and I need one of the ramps for that so that'll have to wait for a quiet Saturday at work. So got stripping out the interior in my tea breaks and lunch times. Anyway got the rear section of carpet out and found this;ujurenyq.jpg

Stripped back a bit of sound deadening to make sure it hadn't spread any further, it hadn't;

sumy8u9y.jpg Cleaned back the edges(underneath as well)cut a plate and got welding uvyju3yv.jpgbezapuny.jpgubyvabus.jpg

Ground down the welds,put a bit of primer on it then stuck a bit of sound deadening back as I had a few off cuts about.

So tomorrow's tea breaks will mostly involve cleaning the hell out of all the interior(looks like the previous owner had a dog and it spent a fair bit of time in the car!) and then putting it all back together.5ede8y3u.jpgme3y9u2a.jpgyqape5em.jpgteqa7ygu.jpg

Edited by bennyk
Good work there looks very neat. Those holes are for the production process for the dips and so that robots can get hold of the chassis.[/quote

Thanks! Got no excuse for it looking like crap, it is what I do for a living! Oh ok that makes sense,luckily none of the others seem to have gone.

Edited by bennyk

good work :) those holes are quite troublesome and if not caught early can spell for some major welding!

you cant beat a good polished red VR I must say :)

Yeah from what I've seen on other peoples threads I've got off quite lightly! There are a couple of other bits on the floor, started on this one today;y2urypev.jpgba9atyze.jpg

Not put a drop of polish near this yet,it'd be a waste of polish!! Here's a couple of reasons why; avy8y4e9.jpg9a8e5ame.jpg

But I definitely agree though,always had a thing for red cars.

Edited by bennyk

Yeah think I'll wait till i get it all painted anyway,the original idea was to keep it very original,but that idea is gradually going out the window damn you internet for putting ideas in my head!

Anyway got a bit more welding done today, I'll let the pics do the talking;7uqa6a8u.jpgtybuvuhu.jpgjudy9una.jpgavy9a3y7.jpg6ubymeze.jpg7ubu4esa.jpg

Then thought I'd pop the side skirt off to see what it was like underneath...... and the drivers wing crumbled!!!!

ny8any8e.jpg

This wasn't the idea as I was just hoping to get all the welding underneath done and start on the bodywork towards the end of the winter,but it's kind of pushing me to make a start now! On the plus side though the sill wasn't to bad.

Edited by bennyk

Thanks, didn't want it to look an old dog that has had a few patches welded on to get it through mots! I've primed,sealed, stone guarded then ill dust a bit of colour over the patches so it looks quite factory,not forgetting the cavity wax........Is that a bit OCD!? Anyway hopefully it'll last.

Got the wing whipped off today as I didn't have much choice as half of it was on the floor in a pile of rust and red paint and the sill wasn't to bad,was going to try to make a bit of a plate for it but then I found out that I could get a pattern sill for £11.50+vat!!!! ;-) I only want the section behind the wing as the rest isn't to bad,just a couple of scabs so I'm not buying genuine ones! a6yjy6yv.jpgy2u3uben.jpg

Then this turned up, so I had to try it on! Fits ok apart from it the gap along the drivers wing, can't decide if it's the way it been transported or because it's been made in Mexico! The spoiler looks like it's been smashed into every curb in America, but it wasn't that expensive so I'll make do. Unless someone on here's got a us spec spoiler that's in good nick that they want to sell?

uzu5a3em.jpgu4uhy6eq.jpgy7ygynyv.jpg

Tried the new genuine wing that was an eBay bargain at around £60 delivered which was new old stock from s&n autospares, which fits perfectly. adady7yh.jpg

Edited by bennyk

Got a bit more done this week,after cutting out all of the rust the o/s sill started off like this,zy7uhutu.jpgvaja2apa.jpg Didn't want to use the whole sill as it's a cheap pattern panel and I wasn't happy with the lines or fit of it and I'm to tight to buy genuine, so just used a section like this beseru5u.jpgaduzyhev.jpg Forgot to take more in between photos but once it was tacked in it looked like this; jynyzyre.jpgeta4ugy2.jpg Then all welded and ground down;paruveba.jpg This bit half way along the sill was where at some stage the cars had a rear quarter and whoever did it should've been shot because there was a good cm of filler at the join! And it was rusting from the inside as it hadn't been cavity waxed,so I just added this bit.py7epaje.jpg The other good news this week was these turned up;-)!! e9y9y5ej.jpg Been on the look out for a set of wheels since I bought the car and was looking at 928 flat face wheels or some 16" merc wheels but when these wintercults turned up at a good price I had to have them! There in really good condition for 20+ year old wheels,just a tiny bit of curbing and corrosion,think I'm going to refurb them in a nice silver and detail the centre caps.

Edited by bennyk

Got the passenger side all welded up this week,it seemed pretty solid when I stripped off the wing and side skirt.....I was wrong the bit of surface scabs had started going all the way through, thanks to all of the crap that had collected behind the splash guard after 17 years off driving! This is what I found after cleaning off the paint;ymade2ej.jpg Cut a bit of sill out to have a look inside and found this;4e2e4y3e.jpg Ended up cutting a lump of inner sill out and putting some thicker plate in there to strengthen the jacking point but forgot to take photos! Then just used the front section of the pattern sill as the rest of the sill is pretty solid looking from the inside and out. vy6edasa.jpgqeguqu4y.jpg9y5ebyru.jpgeryda6us.jpgytere9yt.jpg Then got a bit of primer on it and threw the wing with dent ( the 2nd one from TPS! I'm after discount now not a 3rd dented one! ) and door back on. u2ubanap.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bennyk