vr6 turbo in mk1 golf

Hello all, im currently building a berg cup mk1 golf:

IMG_1118_zps89229306.jpg

anyways, i currently have a g40 lysholm charged at about 170 bhp and hope to pull a few more ponies out!

however i have found aveeeerryy nice turbo conversion for sale and i know i can get kits to convert the mk1 to vr6, and should see 350 bhp if not more with few tweeks,

i would get a vr6 conversion kit from eurowise which will make it near bolt in, then up-rated drivetrain pack etc which will mean the engine/transmission/drivetrain will cope with power

only issue i can think off is will the chassis be okay with that sort of power, i see that plenty of others have done vrt conversions in mk1 and mk2 golfs however dunno if they have had chassis strengthening?

seems a good swap when compared with a 1.8t as there not that quick, my g40 would be similarly quick to a 1.8t but the vrt will be on a whole new level!

also looking at issues with handeling etc due to the weight, however looked at it and the vr6 is 180kg with box etc and the g40 only weighs in a little less at 160 kg, i know 20kg is alot but will it affect the car that much?

another question would be what they like 0-100 and then comapred to 100+, im only really after acceleration to 100, not bothered with going over as it probs would scare the poo outa me! with the golf being stripped and bouncing everywhere :o

obviously putting the power down will be the next issue and any tips for this would be great, ive poly bushed the whole car so far and will poly bush the engine mounts etc to help with traction, running 9j tyres upfront with good tyres should help with spinning and possibly an lsd depending on how much they are!

Thanks

any advice, critisims etc would be amazing!

• 1 month later...

hi mate im doin the same aswell n 4x4 mine il keep a eye on your thread and strength wise if you have a cage i think you should be ok maybe take some bars from the turrets to the cage aswell ? thinking of the eurowise kit have you got power steering on your mk1 already ? as i wouldn't like to drive one with out it lol 

• 2 months later...

I responded to your questions in bold, see below:

only issue i can think off is will the chassis be okay with that sort of power, i see that plenty of others have done vrt conversions in mk1 and mk2 golfs however dunno if they have had chassis strengthening?

This Conversion has been done multiple times, both with the eurowise swap and without, and has caused no issue to the structural integrity of the chassis. One of the guys giving me advice with my Supercharged Vr6 Build has a mk1 Cabriolet with a Supercharged Vr6; he has had it in for over 7 years with no problems, and he pushes it to its max!

also looking at issues with handeling etc due to the weight, however looked at it and the vr6 is 180kg with box etc and the g40 only weighs in a little less at 160 kg, i know 20kg is alot but will it affect the car that much?

It is, without a doubt, a necessity to upgrade the suspension and brakes with this conversion. There are plenty of things that you can do to shed weight off of the motor; personally, I am not running power steering or A/C and have a lightweight pulley kit along with a lightweight flywheel.All of the emmisions related items are being removed and I am not using the hydraulic clutch set up.I am shaving over 50lbs in both materials and fluids combined.

another question would be what they like 0-100 and then comapred to 100+, im only really after acceleration to 100, not bothered with going over as it probs would scare the poo outa me! with the golf being stripped and bouncing everywhere :o

This really depends on your application; N/A, Turbo, and Supercharged will all give you a different response. Personally, I like immediate throttle response and the ability to maintain control over my traction at all times; but I also wanted power gains above the N/A range. I choose to go Supercharged. If you are going to go with forced induction, I recommend a stiffer suspension and an LSD (either Pelican or Quaife) so you can put more power to the ground when needed (or wanted lol) There are a few videos with a mk1 both N/A and Turbo'd, but I have only seen one with a S/C and it isn't easy to find so I will try to share the link at the end. (it is my friend with the Cabby.)

obviously putting the power down will be the next issue and any tips for this would be great, ive poly bushed the whole car so far and will poly bush the engine mounts etc to help with traction, running 9j tyres upfront with good tyres should help with spinning and possibly an lsd depending on how much they are!

I have poly bushing all around my vehicle, coilover suspension, rear sway bar, front chassis brace, lower k bar and am looking for an upper and rear strut bar for added support. I am not looking to cage my Scirocco as I intend on using it, a cage would render the rear useless. For your application, the cage will be perfect; I would still consider a front chassis brace. A limited slip differential is essential for any real power. I recommend either Pelican or Quaife (I got a great deal on a new quaife with new ARP differential bolts, so that is what I will be running.) Looking forward to your build!

any advice, critisims etc would be amazing!

Gorgeous Build, my only advice would be to take your time and finish it the proper way. Don't cut any corners in hopes to finishing on time for a show or some sort of deadline.

Here is a video of my friends mk1 Supercharged Vr6

http://youtu.be/-RZiqA2FpUA?t=1m45s