Hoping someone can help solve my problem, my car is 1996 VR6 OBDII unmodified

Car cuts out at any speed, generally when decelerating and when engine warm, but recently happened when cold.

Problem gradually got worse, cutting out more frequently and taking longer for dash lights to come back on to enable restarting the engine.

CEL does not come on with ignition - this means ECU is not getting power, but why would it still run for up to 10-15min?

Changed the crank speed sensor and fuel pump relay to no avail, throttle body was cleaned in the summer.

Sprayed the coil pack in the dark and got few sparks at the coilpack terminals, so changed the coil pack for new, but problem still exists.

Battery is good and cleaned terminals etc. But not looked under the battery tray yet.

Strangely when engine warm, if left indicator is activated – engine cuts off. (Also happened when reverse gear was engaged, but not happened since installing new coil pack)

I’m thinking next step is to have a look at the ECU, I have a small hole in the rubber that seals over the windscreen, car was left for 3 weeks getting rained on a lot, since then problem occurred.

Any help appreciated.

Found the washer jet heater lead to left side has been cut in the past, and on the right side has not been cut but the brown cable has come loose, not sure if this is touching bare metal though, if so then the bonnet earth strap would not do it's job as it is rotten.

Anybody think of a reason to cut 1 of 2 washer heater leads?

Could this be enough to cause the engine to lose power? I've now disconnected both washer heaters and plan to fit a new earthing strap.

Also found that the right fog light is loose and not supported?

Checked grounds under battery tray, seem fine, thats as far as I got in the cold and dark last night!

Any comments please

battery tested when removed from car at 12.2V - this is low i know, but has been left in cold for few days- will test with engine running tonight.

Battery is a Bosch S4 075 - 60Ah, 540 CCA  - reading about this I believe this is slightly underrated?

Question is, can a semi-charged battery cause the random cut out i'm experiencing?

Cleaned starter earth even though looked ok. Battery reading 14.6V when engine running, charged up to 12.5V after running engine for 5min.

I have measured 0.15V from battery neg to bonnet earth strap point with engine running lights in etc, so clearly an earth fault. But really stuck as to where this earth fault is coming from?

Which earth cable are you thinking? They look fine, the one I haven’t found is earth point on the rear of the head – can anybody help explain how this can be accessed?

Pulled the ECU out and all looks fine under the rain tray.

My problem is temperature related, once warmed up and upon cutting out, it takes 10-20minutes for the car to be restarted, which is one reason I changed the coil pack, but this didn’t fix it.

I have thought about changing the coolant temp sensor but can’t see how this would cut the engine completely?

Also, I said earlier voltage between battery neg and earth point is 0.15V – this isn’t as bad as I thought and possibly quite normal and acceptable?

check your big multi plug on engine loom and check no water has got in, seen instances in the past where aux pump has leaked and corroded terminals on the plug...

I've also had a cutting out issue on my old mk3 when turning left and going over bumps.

It ended up as one of the pins on the ECU plug was loose.

Pete, this is the one multi plug i've struggled to disconnect, there is a tab thats snapped off it but I still can't twist it off, is there a trick to this? It did seem damp.

When you say pins on the ECU plug are you talking about the same thing?

I am thinking of changing the blue coolant temp sensor but played around with the existing one last night and don't see how that can be at fault, it doesn't run without it and runs fine with it!

I idled the engine for about 15min last night, puttting into reverse is ok 9/10 times but sometimes cuts it, indicating left cuts it most of the time, indicating right cuts it but not as often as indicating left, strange?

Thanks.

Ok thanks, got it off, took the plastic ring and rubber seal/ring off first and twists off a lot easier. Were 3 or 4 golden brown looking female pins, so gave them a clean.

Main finding last night was that the rear left lighting wires had been taped up in the past because about 8 wires of one loom have clean breaks around the insulation (copper is ok), as though someone has put a guillotine across them – really strange!

It’s possible that the wires are shorting with each other, the reverse light is also within this cluster, and would explain why indicating left cuts the engine more than indicating right.

Anyway after tidying things up with electrical tape, I could not get the dash lights up i.e. the ECU was dead/immobilised for hours – left overnight and tried this morning before going to work and car starts, but this is the longest it has ever taken for a restart, so I’ve found something but made it worse?

I have a Clifford alarm/immobilser - before I can crank the engine I have to press a button on console and unlock button on key at the same time to get dash lights on, but when the car dies it takes varying amount of time for this procedure to work.

Car fires fine everytime, it's this ECU timeout that I don't understand, also timeout tends to take a lot longer when engine was warm before it cut out.

Yes I get the buzzing sound - fuel pump priming?

Occasionally the ABS pump makes a lot of noise, and sometimes I get a rather loud high pressure sound coming from under the intake manifold.

The secondary water pump seems tempermental - it will some times be clicking and then come to a halt, and sometimes I can knock it and it will start ticking again.

Can I ask why you are asking, as I don't have starting issues, only cutting out when driving issues

thanks