I'm gonna take you to the clay bar

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe i spoke too soon!!

having felt it didn't do much on the mkII, i cleaned the vr6 and didn't bother using the clay bar...results, well, if you run your hand lightly over both cars and compare, the mkII is silky smooth and the vr6 feels slightly rough! will use it next time i think!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

be careful using the megs bar if your not machining after as it can mar and leave small scratches.

A better clay would be the Sonus Green clay. its a finer clay that is less harsh to the paint.

It can be used on the paint glass wheels etc etc

if you have swirls etc... try using auto glym SRP (super resin polish) this has a filler type quality. also easy for hand use. two - three coats and most swirls should be covered. then apply 2 layers of wax 24 hours apart (make sure the car is covered or something between the layers.

i just thought i would see how efective the clay bar was, i dont have damged paint or many swirls but just thought i would give it a try, found it absolutely poxy to work with and then found it marked my one unmarked paint! fooking shite idea, i just stick to elbow grease and decent polish, not a fan of Auto glym due to all the white shiiiite it leaves behind in the gaps, meguiars tech paste wax is best i find, gives a really deep shine to the paint

Clay's great. I used Sonus grey on the roof of my VR as it had little dots of white stuff that I think may have been paint, after 15 minutes work they've all come off.

If you find it's marring the paint, try using more lube. Spray the clay and the car each time.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of clay since the first time I used it.

Had no problems at all and wouldn't do without it now.

If you're unsure get a non abrasive type and use lube or soapy shampoo (which I use) to keep it slipping. The non abraisives will still grab most of the embedded rubbish and crap sitting "glued" to the surface and that's mostly what you want it for.

• 6 months later...

To be honest no hand applied polish will do a decent job on swirl marks, it'll just fill them

spotted about SRP aswell, it has got abrasives in it, as does ultra deep shine,but less. EGP is the one that has no abrasives and if you were to start layering, SRP for light colour cars, Ultra deep shine for dark cars, the layer up the EGP and carnuba, Ive done my mystik blue vr and my sis black mica scooby today and the both look resprayed using those products

just got the meguires clay kit and did a tester bit defianatly the nutz it will give a good base to wax properly shines it up like glass

i don't rate that ultra deep shine auto glym stuff mines black it didnt feel right going on and was worse taking it off still got traces of it on the paint in fiddly areas srp was a lot better imo maybe with the clay bar ill try them again see wot appens

• 2 weeks later...

clay bar then meguiars 3 stage...its the way forward..clearly ;) i only use the meguiars NXT polish and wax at the moment but as soon as the queen fills my bank account back up with money im getting the 3 stage polish kit...craig (craggsy) has converted me after i saw how gleaming his car came up with it at Billing show....even though he was still drunk he didnt do a bad job ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I took a trip to halfords over the bank holiday and got the Meguiars clay kit.

I polish my car weekly so i didn't think it would do too much but i thought i'dgive it a try anyway.

Fook me!! Its proppa quality. I was amazed at how much of a difference it makes and its really easy to do. comes off so easy and then once the wax is applied, that comes off just as easy to give a deep glossy shine. WELL IMPRESSED!!

If you havent already, TRY IT!! YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED!!!

• 1 month later...

i found that but fook me its hard work especially if you then use meguires 3 stage system and washing and drying

I must be doing something wrong then.

Quick explanation.

Spray on polish stuff

Kneed clay and rub over area

Buff with supplied cloth

????????????????????????????????? I have thrown the instructions, as usual. Who needs em :-p

I must be doing something wrong or does it not really work on Laquered finish.

i found that but fook me its hard work especially if you then use meguires 3 stage system and washing and drying

I must be doing something wrong then.

Quick explanation.

Spray on polish stuff

Kneed clay and rub over area

Buff with supplied cloth

????????????????????????????????? I have thrown the instructions' date=' as usual. Who needs em :-p

I must be doing something wrong or does it not really work on Laquered finish.

[/quote']

I think 4mobora is saying it's hard work if you include the megs 3 stage system afterwards. That's at least 6 passes over the entire car which I'm afraid I wouldn't have the stamina for in one day. :)

Claying itself is pretty easy and rather theraputic I thought. One of those "ooh look what I've been missing" moments.

If it gets dirty and the surface gets clean and slick, you're doing it right.