Hello every1. Thought I would bring something to every1s attention. Tonight i was driving my vr6 home from work. Came off the A19 at 70mph of course. Entered the next housing estate to where i live at 30mph. Tapped the brakes to slow down for the oncoming chicane, and pedal hit the floor...! some or 1 of the wheels locked up and it skidded out of control for what felt like 5-7 seconds before stopping.....! the brake pedal felt normal when i let it off and pressed it again as i pulled over... when i stopped shaking. lol. i drove it home and googled this.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/68-b5-garage/199406-brake-pad-backing-plate-separation.html

my car is this spec..factory standard. 64k. full vw history. with vw clearly on the pads. I think the above link has happened to me. Maybe Original Pads from new, over 16 yrs. Who knows??

I felt a judder at 70 a week or 2 ago. presumed i lost a weight off a wheel so was eventually gonna get them re balanced.

Ill take it in to get sorted on saturday, and report the results, but i bet the glue or epoxy or whatever they use give up the ghost, thx...! 

Blimey, talk about brown pant moment! Glad that you were not hurt though, can't say I've come across this type of thing before though, have you had chance to whip off the wheels to have a look?

Hope your not driving your car until you have investigated the issue !

I bought a Seat Toledo with the same issues, these were non genuine pads, the glue used to bond the fiction material on had caused the backing metal to rust and push off the friction material.

Citroen AX / saxo 3 stud rear drums suffer in the same way and cause the rear wheel to lock up at speed

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi and sorry for the late reply. my internet went missing and needed replacing. bit like my brake pad. I took it to bits and as i thought. 3 brake pads were present and 1 must have disintegrated. the backing was rusty to confirm the pic above. which created a few mil of space for the piston to then move out hence the pedal hitting the floor and the opposite side locking up, VW pads!. i can post a pic when i find out how., prob photo bucket. p.s tried to join tonight. i have no pay pal. is any other method of payment available thx craig