Esp A Little Overzealous?

A quick question about ESP on my Golf.

The problem occurs at roundabouts! Driving at sensible speeds, in fact even at 20mph, turn right on a roundabout and the ESP takes over, applying the brakes and illuminating the disco light on the dash, drive straight again and everything is normal.

To even things up I found a nice left hander to drive around, no lights or ESP takeover, I have scanned with VCDS and nothing shows up (except the usual HVAC flap position)

Steering position sensor is set at 0' when in the wheels are in the straight ahead position.

So, as you can imagine I am now a tad confused as everything seems to be in order, ABS sensors are clean, all wires are connected etc oh, and I am bald from all the head scratching!  So any help would be gratefully received. 

How are your bushes? Just I hard the same problem on mine and since I replaced them with poly bushes I've not had any problems.

FYI my drivers side rear wishbone bush was cracked and pushing through, maybe why it only happens on right hand bends?

following on from my issues with ESP, I have been unable to rectify the issues, so I have a few questions for you.

I am also removing the seats to replace with bucket seats, this in itself is throwing an air bag light on as the seats are removed, I guess this will also be the case when the steering wheel is replaced. I have found two more sensors under the carpets too, just by the inner sill on the seat cross member, what do these do?

So, with the above in mind here are my questions.

1, Is it possible to de activate or code out ESP?

2, Is it possible to de activate air bags without the need for resistors?

3, Can the airbag controller be removed as well as the airbags so as there is nothing that would need coding out?

Thanks for your assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

OK there has been a development, my initial problem was ESP cutting even when switched off, after a bit of fettling and internet swatting uand of course the obligatory support from Ross Tech, I have coded out the ESP part of the controller.

So heres how you do it.  This is for an MK60 controller.

Open VCDS

go to 03, ABS

Then goto Coding

In coding you will see the long number, in my case it was 0023046 you need to subtract 2048 = 20998 this number, your new number is the code,

Enter this code and hit Do It!

ESP has gone, the button no longer functions and my car corners without hinderance from ESP as the local roundabout has confirmed.

I am a happy chap to say the least emoticon-0142-happy.gif

BTW, if you try the above procedure and it goes wrong I am not responsible, this is for an MK 60 controller on a MK 4 V6 4 Motion, always remember to write down the number currently in the coding in case you need to go back to it!

Edited by Swivelonit
  • 1 month later...

Mine is definitely off after the re code with VCDS, even pressing the button on the dash now does nothing at all, no dash light, most importantly though a full four wheel slide is possible without the ESP trying to slow things down, just a simple code change to disable and re enable if the need should arise.