Bowden Cables And Heater Panel

My heater panel has finally given up - its last breath being a nasty snapping noise and a root around its guts tells me the direction control lower wheel is not being held in place any more so I can have heat on the screen but that's it

So I have got hold of another panel to replace it with (£60 from the "other corrado forum") but of course cables have been replaced in the past so my current ones are held in with some weird sealant stuff that will need trimming away.  Working on the basis that I have big hands and its all soooooo delicate behind there I have been in search of hens teeth - new cables! alas to no avail (Pete claims to have had one of the last sets in the country!)

So I spoke to www.Veedubmachine.co.uk and the chap I spoke to hadn't been brave enough to repair his own cables but was aware you could apparently use the MK3 cables - so I have some of those on the way to me from www.stevensvwspares.com (£20 inc postage for the three)

So long story short - anyone know if we can use the MK3 cables in the corrado, do i have to fiddle/fettle/adapt/botch them to get them in and has anyone got a walkthrough  for the job?  

If not........anyone need some MK3 bowden cables?