So on Saturday 14th September 2013 I sold my 2008 Vauxhall Astra VXR Nurburging as I had bought a project car a couple of months ago and thought that I’d just pile all the money I got into that and live happily ever after, in the meantime I thought my wife and I could live with one car… Oh how wrong was I… On the Sunday (Day 1 of sharing a car) we both had plans, I was going out and she was going shopping… Who gets the car?

After 5mins of talking, I decided I’m going to have to buy a runaround so started looking for a cheap fun car, I looked at a couple of Mazda MX-5’s on AutoTrader and eBay but every time I contacted the seller, they were already sold.

So I text my pal Liam and asked him to help me look, he promptly started telling me to look at other cars, pretty much 30 seconds after we had spoken he sent me a link to a Golf VR6 for £1995. I completely forgot about this little gem of a car, so I contacted the seller, guess what, sold.

This pretty much continued for the whole of Sunday (I didn’t end up going out, the wife won the chat and went shopping)…

As I was starting to give up on finding a VR6 within 1000000000000000000 miles, I stumbled across an advert on eBay, 1997 Golf VR6 full service history from new, £1100 and 10 miles away… Dropped the guy a message and waited…. And waited… and waited… Eventually he replied, its available and ready to view, Monday at 8pm. PERFECT.

So I get on the phone to Tiny87, explain all the details to him, he seems happy apart from the fact the price is so low… So we go along and view it, looks very nice, runs nice, everything is nice… There are a few things which indicate why the price is so low. It’s on budget tyres (anyone heard of Nexus?) and the rear right is nearly bald, the front left tyre valve is leaking air too… The drivers seat is very worn (I also found out quite hilariously on the way home that it was collapsed as well lol), fog lights aren’t working, heater control lights aren’t working… Basically, small niggly bits that a few hundred could sort out…

So after a quick conversation with the guy I ended up driving home my new purchase, what a purchase it seems to be too!! The power of these 2.8 VR6’s is absolutely amazing, it literally pulls from 0rpm right through until it hits the red line!!! Unfortunately as it has been raining far too much, the budget tyres are scaring the s**t out of me as the wheels are spinning through 2nd, 3rd and part of 4th gear, so I’m taking it easy.

Now that part of the essay is over, here are the pictures from the advert (no pictures from me yet as the weather is bloody awful):

1_zpse4b20957.jpg

8_zpsc5d32466.jpg

7_zpsd2d3293d.jpg

3_zps9784e232.jpg

2_zpscd5e0dfa.jpg

4_zps2033684f.jpg

My plan was not to modify it at all and just run around in it until I had finished my Mini project… Once I’d driven it home I was on eBay and VR6 forums buying A LOT of stuff to repair the broken bits and to “help” the car…

Ordered:

Front MTEC dimpled and grooved discs

Front EBC Red Stuff pads

OEM rear discs

OEM rear pads

Goodridge braided brake lines front and back

Front and back Recaro seats

RAMAIR cold air filter

FK Automotive Coilovers

Smoked front fog and indicator lights

Bright white side light bulbs

Bright white number plate bulbs

100w Mtec bright white dipped beam bulbs

100w Mtec fog light bulbs

Aero flat wiper blades

Pressed number plates

Front and rear satin black VW badge

4 x Dunlop Sport tyres

4 x 6.5inch Pioneer TSW speakers

I still need to go to VW to get the dash bulb replacement so the heater controls light up at night but that’s not important lol.

Every project I’ve ever had I’ve said “this is going to be a slow project”, this time I can confidently say that everything listed above should be fitted in about 3 weeks.

Plans:

Erm everything above LOL.

Manifold

Powerflow custom exhaust

Replace all dash bulbs

Fix/Replace headlining

Replace steering wheel (oem or other)

Refurbish BBS alloys

Replace rear view mirror (it’s very small)

Replace sun visors

Get wheel arch and sill rust sorted (summer 2014)

I think that is all my plans to be honest, no doubt I’m going to have a lot of conversations with my friends Liam, Sean and Matt about turbo’ing this thing as they know someone who has a turbo’d VR6 that’s running 400bhp on standard internals.

Current spec:

1997 ® VW Golf VR6 mk3

2792cc 2.8ltr VR6

5 door hatchback

172bhp and 173lb/ft

Top speed – 150mph

0-60 – 7.6seconds

133000miles (dead on)

MOT April 2014

TAX November 2013

Overall I’m very happy with this but also very sad I don’t have the Astra VXR anymore, it was a long and hard decision to sell it but we all have to move on and I have managed to do it and still be happy!! Oh and the sound of the engine…. WOW!!!

Not sure if I should bother saying thanks for reading as I doubt anyone will still be reading at this point LOL.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So this has happened over the last two weeks: • I became a father to a beautiful baby girl • I became the proud owner of a mk2 Golf GTi So let's skip the baby part and get onto the part you guys want

So after all that fuss of wanting to sell it, today i ordered the following:   KW V1 coilovers Eibach front and rear anti roll bars Raceland Exhaust Manifold Timing chains and tensioners Sachs clutch

All parts have arrived including the cams, so now it's time to find a weekend with my pal and get it all on the car!!

Nice starting point for any direction you want to take it. I have a cat back 1 box powerflow mid/scorpion oval backbox exhaust for sale if your interested, its cheap as the backbox entry pipe needs a couple of inches cut off and a new little bit of pipe welding on, which would only cost a few quid really.

• 3 weeks later...

So all this happened last weekend…

First up were the bonnet lifters, this went smoothly, nice and easy to do as always and the only part that was awkward was fitting the small metal retainer.

DSC_0053_zps0f988e1f.jpg

DSC_0052_zps0e8ceb6e.jpg

Quick mod number two, de-wipered the rear window.

DSC_0066_zps7fa6a51c.jpg

Another quick mod up next too, switch the old VW badges for new ones, front and rear.

DSC_0054_zps216c8ade.jpg

DSC_0067_zps73435745.jpg

While I was doing the above, my pals decided to make a start on the brakes and suspension, as mentioned before the rear shocks had collapsed.

DSC_0056_zpsa26b97c7.jpg

DSC_0055_zps727e8d42.jpg

DSC_0059_zpsab4b9f92.jpg

DSC_0061_zps32be0daa.jpg

DSC_0058_zps762e0cd9.jpg

DSC_0064_zps6c0fa7c1.jpg

While I was out in the car a few days before we started the work someone stepped out in front of me whilst I was driving in a 40mph zone, I noticed at this point that although my ABS kicked in, I wasn’t experiencing much braking power, I knew the rear pads needed replacing but it was only once the calipers were off that my pal found that both of the rear calipers were seized. Managed to fix that with a hammer and some grease (tbh I have no idea what he done to fix them, I’m just guessing lol).

While my pals were doing all the technical stuff, I was cracking on with the engine bay, pulling out the old air box and pipework and fitting the immense RAMAir filter. I’m still struggling to find a place to route the cold air feed for it as there doesn’t seem to be any space down the front by the grill as the pipework would foul the belts, which wouldn’t be good.

DSC_0063_zps25fb7b6d.jpg

DSC_0062_zpsbef7243e.jpg

Just as I finished this, my pals were ready to make a start on the front brakes and coilovers… Oh what fun we had trying to get the top nut off of one of the shocks… It was decided that we’d build the brakes up and then I’d go to a garage to get them to shock the nut… This is where the fun really began, new front discs on, new pads out the box, oh bugger they’re the wrong ones… That then leaves me with two things still wrong, I have no brakes at all as all the system is bled and no front brake pads. One whole week later ad I’m still waiting for the correct pads to arrive which has royally pi**sed me off tbh but these things happen for a reason.

Once it was decided to just put it all back together and get on with the service parts, indicators and fogs.

Got the oil drained, oil filter out, spark plugs changed, cabin filter changed, new oil in and new HT leads on. Fired it up and let it run for a bit, the sound of the RAMAir filter is absolutely amazing, I’ll get a video when I go and get the brakes fitted as it’s currently sat outside my pals house due to no brakes.

So cracked on with the indicators and fogs, when I bought the car, the kid I bought it off said the fogs weren’t plugged in, that’s why they wasn’t working, didn’t really bother me at the time but once I got the old “fogs” and indicators out, I soon noticed something very wrong….

In place of the fogs were blanking plates, again this didn’t bother me as I’d bought new ones, whipped out the indicators and that’s when I started to realize something about this car isn’t quite right…. The indicators cabling had been cut and rewired using electrical tape and what looks like a dodgy lamp adaptor on the end. The fog light cabling on the other hand had just been cut and left dangling behind the bumper.

So after a quick chat with a VW dealer, I ordered some new adaptors and new cabling for both fogs and indicators, again these will be fitted when the brake pads arrive.

So once the car was all put back together and parked outside my pals house, I went home and sulked a little bit and stumbled across some morette’s for sale, so I bought them and some HID’s.

I’ve got other bits and bobs to do like fitting my sub, new aerial, aerial adaptor and still to fit the new interior but this can all wait until the brakes and suspension are sorted as they aren’t urgent.

I’m hoping to get the brakes and suspension sorted this week or weekend and then I can crack on with the rest including a massive clean, the car is an absolute mess, the guy who I bought it off only bought it to drive across Europe with some pals and he literally never cleaned it, so as it currently stands, it hasn’t been cleaned for about a year.

Still to be done:

Front suspension

Front brakes

Sub

Morette headlights

HID headlights

Smoked indicators

Smoked fogs

Wiring for fogs and indicators

New aerial

Front and rear seats to be replaced with Recaros

Pressed plates to be fitted

Surface rust to be looked at

That is all for now I believe; no doubt I’ll update it if I have forgotten anything.

Cheers Lukey I'll look into that!

After just over a week, my red stuff pads (correct ones) arrived, dropped them to my pal last night so he can fit them one day this week for me!!

Also found the latest MOT for the car too, there's a few things that need replacing but nothing too major, front wishbones and bushes but more importantly on there as an advisory is both front sills under the arches are rusty, so going to see another pal about getting that sorted.

The exhaust was on the mot advisory page too for rattling, this will be sorted when I get my custom exhaust.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers dude, tbh I haven't really driven it, I've done 200miles in it since I got it, which was about 6 weeks ago lol.

My VXR delivered the power differently to the VR so I think the only time I'll need to get used to the power is when racing cars on the motorway, I'll have to pick my fights more carefully lol.

I'm going to get 17" alloys and front and rear anti roll bars, then I think it's pretty much done for handling for now. Then it's just power I'll be looking at, will probably go turbo but I've got a lot of research to do before I spend my money tbh.

• 4 weeks later...

Right after many a month of not having the Golf working due to either the weather or how busy we both have been, my pal and I have finally got the fat bitch moving lol.

Pretty much all of my original list is done barring a few issues, but after having it stripped to pieces and building it back up my to do list has grown extensively.

So here are my current lists:

To be done:

Recaro seats (front)

Smoked front indicators/fog units

Rewire indicators and fogs

Pressed numberplates

Carpet mats

Pollen filter

Front coilovers

Rear wheel bearing

Windscreen

Morettes

HIDs

Front and rear anti roll bars

Front wings need replacing

Side skirts need replacing

Alloys & tyres

Front wishbones need replacing

Turbo

263 cams (stealth racing)

Remap (stealth racing)

HiSpec big brake kit

Heater control light bulb

Wheels spacers

Arches rolled

Sub

Roof lining to be re-glued

Done:

Sidelights

Windscreen wipers

Goodridge braided brake hoses

Rear discs and pads

EBC red stuff brake pads (front)

Mtec drilled and grooved discs (front)

Numberplate bulb housing

Numberplate bulbs

Mtec headlight bulbs

Side repeater housing

Mtec fog light bulbs

RamAir Cold Air Filter

FK Coilovers

Gloss black VW badge (front and rear)

Bonnet lifters

Rear wheel bearing kit

Oil filter

HT leads

Fuchs Titan Sintofluid oil

Numberplate lenses

Smoked side repeaters

NGK iridium spark plugs

Hammerite silver paint (callipers)

Motul DOT5.1 brake fluid

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so here's the current situation....

My pal Liam and I have been struggling to get one top mount nut undone. It seems as if it has fused itself with rust to the strut and wasn't coming out no matter how hard we tried. So in the end Liam decided it was time for us to give up and for me to find a garage with a impact gun and ask them to shock it off, now I've done this before and spent a whole day looking for one to do the same with my VXR Burg so i knew it wasn't going to be easy. So I posted a message up on FB and asked if anyone could help, Liams mate Matt said he had an impact gun and he'd sort it for me if I could get to him in 30mins.... So I drove carefully for 30mins to get to his house where he spent an hour trying everything he could possibly think of to get the strut nut undone with his impact gun. In the end he got his flame thrower out of his work van and set fire to my car....

th_30FE45B8-98D1-49A2-8437-FAE677861F8D_

This worked really well tbh and we managed to get it undone with just hand strength after the fire.

So this week I have ordered:

New top mounts (due to fire damage lol)
One new rear wheel bearing (broke retainer clip when changing them a few weeks ago)
Gear gaiter
Hand break gaiter
Windscreen scuttle panel (due to someone picking the rubber off mine)
Side skirts (to replace rusty ones)
Armrest
Black covers for my Morettes

I have also been and spoken to a pal of mine Daniel H who works at DP&P about ordering me two new front wings and repairing some rust patches on my rear arch. Once the new wings are in and painted Daniel H is gonna book me in to fit them and repair the rear arch.

Oh I also fit my Recaro seats (picture below) and a bulb on my heater control panel (no picture as it doesnt really make a difference tbh).

0EFC65DF-8DB1-474E-B274-42A86AE1276E_zps

My pal Liam is fitting my front coilovers and the rear wheel bearing while I'm away for a long weekend next weekend and I'll fit all the new parts as and when they arrive. Haven't really done much else as I've been fixing a few niggling problems with my "daily" Ford Fiesta.

Also for all of you OCD freaks, I'm hoping I have the time to clean it this weekend as it still hasn't been cleaned since it toured Europe LOL.

So here are my current lists:

To be done:

Smoked front indicators/fog units (awaiting fitting)
Rewire indicators and fogs (awaiting fitting)
Pressed numberplates (awaiting fitting)
Carpet mats (awaiting fitting)
Pollen filter (awaiting fitting)
Front coilovers (awaiting fitting)
Rear wheel bearing (awaiting fitting)
Windscreen scuttle panel (ordered)
Morettes (awaiting fitting)
HIDs (awaiting fitting)
Front and rear anti roll bars
Front wings need replacing (ordered)
Side skirts need replacing (ordered)
Alloys & tyres