Long story short, I'm new to owning a vr6. Previously owned an Audi A3 1.8T which was remapped to 210bhp, I must say that having a turbo was fun, and as it was only my second car it felt quick enough. But now I'm trying to decided whether with the vr6 I'm going to focus on power or stance. I like having the power, but again without any modifications power isn't exactly something the 2.8 lacks at all, so I'm thinking, getting it to at least 200bhp and leaving at that.

About the car: it's a M reg, mk3 golf, 5 doors in mystic blue, full leather interior, but has suffered majorly from rust as it has been sat idle on the previous owners drive for over 2 years now. The car itself is in good condition, no dents or scratches, but the bumpers seemed to have faded quite a lot so are now a light grey colour.

I guess the car is what you can call a modification virgin, completely untouched just as the factory has made it, still sitting on the original bbs that it came with. Perfect for the beginning of a project.

What I can't decide is that although alloys with no particular colour look good against the blue, I kind of want some sort of colour to make the wheels stand out, what I'm struggling with is finding a colour that sits nicely with the rest of the car.

The bumpers will be resprayed and the rust will be sorted. The car will quickly be put to rest on a set of coil overs to reduce the arch gap, but apart from that I don't know where else to go, I'm thinking of possibly changing the front lights, and maybe smoking the rears but not sure yet. Also I will change the exhaust to give it a bit of a different sound.

I just want a car that's practical but looks good while its there, a car that looks like its well looked after but not something that struggles to drive on the standard uk road.

So I'm all open for suggestions, ideas and even insights as to what other people have done to theirs.

Personally I think that wheels that are nice and shiny look awesome against the nice dark blue, and that either mk4 style lights with blacked out interiors or hella quad style lights give the look you describe, not lairy but it looks looked after and something more special than a normal mk3.

Also when going for an exhaust if you don't want it to be boomy, take it from me, don't get a scorpion system lol.