1/4 mile - What am I doing wrong?

Most recently 13.88 at 104 mph at Santa pod, 0-60ft 2.3 seconds.

She pulls strong in every gear, its a stage 3 vortech V3 with methanol, 17" rims yoko parada tyres. She needs cams and slicks, but where will that get me? We built her as a track car and we do track her, but there is something very seductive (and expensive) about getting down the strip quicker than last time.

I was expecting 13.5 this year and conditions were near perfect. Is late 13's the best I can get with a stripped out 300hp mk3? What are your tactics when traction is an issue on start and under boost?

Not to be offensive but in my experience parada spec2's are crap, get them swapped for some federal 595rsr's and your times are sure to fall. Camskill sell them for £106 for 215/40/17 so there a bargain as far as track tyres go. A LSD will also help you out in the traction department.

Also check your your tracking. This can make a huge diffrence. On friday all jake could get out of nee naw was 13.5 sec run after we fitted the coilovers which was crap.

We then lowered the tyres pressures from 15psi to 9psi and adjust camber to slightly positive and he got the times down to consistent low 12s 12.05 and 11.6 sec runs

You can put as much power in there as you want but if it ain't gonna grip your just wasting money.

Get a set of slicks and you will never look back, your ET is made in the 1st 60ft, your gonna struggle getting some slicks for 17" wheels though, as its 13"s or 15"s which are the popular choice. Some 24"/8"/15 will work well and drop a second of your Et.

I know of some 22.5"/8"/15 for sale, there not the perfect size for your setup, probably a bit small sidewall but as a trial the might be worth it, he's after £200 used. Or a new set is gonna cost you about 380-450.

One of the VWDRC guys was running 12.9's on some AVON track slicks (230hp mk1 golf). He had my old very very worn slicks and dropped to 12.3 best £20 he ever spent! But it proved a point and he's now getting some new ones

• 3 weeks later...

Yup, slicks for the win, or R888's if road tyres. Also launch in second gear and feather the throttle up to the end of 2nd, you'll always lose the time here which affects it up top so it's a case of balancing.

Also, jack the rear of the car up and have the rear suspension much firmer, maybe swap to solid rear suspension for the strip, this will place more weight on the front for more traction.