what kind of car kicks a VR6s' arse?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly the kinda point we trying to make evil! i saw a reliant kitten with gsxr 1100 in it absolutely anhialate a full field of cossies, evos and scoobys at castle coombe two seasons ago. funniest bit of track action i ever did see! i have to admit my 106 handled like it was on rails, but dead in the water against my vr after 80!

Hey Mark, my golf is same colour as yours, you find it difficult to get body styling painted to look the same? Thinking about getting the bump strips down the sides painted in body colour. But don't want it looking crap.

I basically had a full respray on my car and everything got painted at the same time, but due to difference body material (plastics) some bits are VERY slight different colours, not a prob... I'm having some odd bits painted seperatly now, so shall have to wait n see how they come out.. not to hard thought to be honest trusting the guy making your paint is good.... Silver doesn't fade luckily!

I hate this sort of post but I've got to get involved now. I'll agree that a standard VTS would keep up with a standard VR6 up to 80 or so mph, but after that, not a chance.

I thought the strangest part of your post was this though Mark:

I've been in many' date=' even driven many working for VW, Polo GTi's give them a run for their money which my mate was loving, MK3 8v and 16v's keep up with them[/quote']

WTF? I can't comment on the Polo GTI thing so I won't. But a standard VR6 will show a clean set of heels to a 16v and a will drive past a very highly modified 8v like it's standing still.

You just can't compare a 20VT against the VR

You can. It's true that putting a 1.8T in your car will ultimately make it go faster, but if it was that clear-cut there wouldn't even be a debate, which you plainly admit there is.

i think there is always going to be at least one of these debates on a forum like this. as long as it doesn't get personal everyone has their own opinion! i think that anyone who has owned and lived with a vr will be the first to say they're not lazy or slow unless you want them to be! as for the 20v vs vr debate, i think if you are comparing power achieved to money spent then the turbo would win, but then big bhp doesn't equal reliability and for the money spent i'd rather see it still working this time next year than have to keep spending money on it to keep it reliable!

Tried a 106 on many occasions' date=' love to drive it, but wouldn't want to admit owning one![/quote']

my thoughts exactly...they are serious fun, but no way could i live with one everday!

back to the saxo debate, i've schecked the performance figures on fasthatchbacks.com and the vts is about 0.7sec slower to sixty...so if you drag one, make sure you get off the line cleanly, or you're gonna feel very small!

i would be intersted to compare lap times round a track tho, i think i'd put my money on the saxo, sorry.

but then again, how many saxo drivers can actually drive...not many!

but as a complete car, a vr6 is leagues ahead.

Don't knock em til you've tried em.. which I don't think the MAJORITY of you have..

Don't remind me! My ex used to have a bright yellow 106 GTI, was bloody lethal, I nearly crashed everytime I drove it and tried to wind down the leccy windows at the same time, as anyone whose ever driven one will tell you they are in the most stupid place! You have to take your eyes right off the road and lean forward to operate them!

( they are located in the centre between the gear stick and the handbrake, great french design enginuity for ya!) It did handle relatively well, but feck speeding in the thing, as you'd be fecked if you hit anything!

Is the EVO much much better than the VR6;power,drivability,performance-when both in standard form?

When the VR6 has been:1.s/c

2.turboed

3.exhaust,chip,cams,schrick inlet manifold.

Does the evo come out on top on the twisties,straight line speed,top end power?

an evo will destroy a vr6, even a tuned one i would say! you're gonna need over 300bhp to even stand a chance on the road. they are one of the most awesome complete packages i have driven. dont even think of messing with a modded one! speak to mina about whether he has spanked one or not! he has the most powerfull one on here!

I've still yet to meet an Evo on the road. TBH it would destroy me from a standing start and on the twisties. In a straight line I'd definitely give it something to think about - especially from 40mph onwards - not sure what their top speed is, but then again not many cars can go off a 160mph clock....

wont need a can opener' date=' just a good fart on the side trim will be enough to ripple the roof and blow the dorrs off! we can all jump up and down on it then and watch it fold up like my daughters pram![/quote']

Top work dubloke, had me in stitches...

me too :P

Whilst we're on the subject of the rally specials, the guy who sold me the VR did so to fund his purchase of a P1 Scooby. I met up with him 6 months later. His verdict? It's a bit faster, and it does handle better, but he does miss the refinement of the VR. Think he regretted selling it a little.

Hi gents thought i would post a thread concerning evolutions

i have just sold my 6 as needed the capital and they are soooo expensive to keep on the road i only used it at the weekends and that was bad enough they have high running costs ie servicing every 4500 mls £10 of shell optimax approx 25 to 30 miles but beleive me they will blow you away on the pick up and the handling is something else

I have had a few performance cars in my time dont get me wrong im not minted im just love quick cars and this is one car i would have again (when i can afford it again) mine was running 330 bhp but they can run to a healthy 400 and beyond which is awesome

They are just totally mad but not a car you could use every day or long runs and the build qaulity isnt the best but hey you cant have everything (remember it is jap built)

im happy with my VR as a good alround car and its nice to park it up and you know it will be there when you get back

any way take care

cheers nathan

[ Edited Tue Apr 06 2004, 06:35PM ]