Hi I've recently purchased a red 5 door vr6 with the hopes of turboing it I'm looking to go around 400 bhp with standard internals with arp studs ect just need some help on the configuration of parts I.e what turbo can I use witch intercooler injectors decompression plate and so on any help will be appreciated thanks in advance phil

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally got the engine back few more bits and it can go in :-)

Boost pipes are all cut and made ready to go on not much left now :-)

I'll throw a few pics up of what has been done :-) And that is how it's sits waiting for paint :-)

Posted Images

Unitedmotorsport software setup w/Bosch 440cc and a journal bearing Precision 6262 T4 0.68 housing. UM 8' date='5:1 spacer or a 9:1 spacer.

Stiffer engine mounts, LSD diff and a decent clutch.

[/quote']

This is spot on though I'd run a 0.82 AR turbo but that's personal preference I suppose :)

Budget would help us steer you in the right direction, for example I had a limited budget but decided to get proper garrett gt3582r and tail 38mm waste gate as intercooler, bov, pipework could be upgraded at a later date but it would be a massive expense to buy a turbo twice or ruen a motor because of a crapy seized waste gate.Also arp hardware is not needed in 400bhp and less applications, some disagree but that's my experience .

Garrett GT3076R T3 1.06 is also a great 400whp turbo. Bullseye S362 is also cool for the price. Garrett T04S T4 0.81 or something in that area. The UM setup will run perfect. AND i almost forgot a inline fuel pump. Bosch 044 and so on... Bosch F3cs sparkplugs right from the box works nice on motronic OBD2.

It can be done for £1000 as him potter showed us all but the reality is if you are planning on keeping the car for a long time about £3000 should secure you some quality components eg.

Fueling kit (injectors,maf,chip) £750

Garrett GT3582r £1000

Tail wastegate £200

Large universal intercooler £100

Recirculating bov £100

Down pipe stainless parts £150

Oil lines and water £50

Intercooler piping and clamps £200

Head spacer with MLS gasket £100

Standard head bolts£20

Fuel pump £125

eBay ATP style manifold £100

Maybe Sri £250

I just saved up and bought each bit when I had the spare cash. May have missed something but gives you a rough idea.

Add £1000 to that for LSD and gearbox rebuild or else you'll be wasting your money on the other stuff

I had lots of good fun for years without LSD and keep it under on/under 400bhp and gearbox should be fine. Although clutch is needed with much over 300bhp.

Ok want to get the turbo side of things done with an uprated clutch then ill start with the gearbox and LSD just after some percific parts for the build ie injectors with what pump and turbo manifold size of intercooler ect ect I know there's lots of combinations been done but what is best for me in the 400 bhp bracket thanks

I wouldn't push your standard box anymore than 300-350 max. Matty has given you a fair list there and prices to match! I myself have just started buying again for the same job lol. Its a never ending shopping list! I have had lots of people ring me for gearboxes over the years and the story goes! "I was running 350bhp on a standard clutch and it was fine for 6 months, then I upgraded the clutch and my gearbox went pop". This seems to be a common issue seems a shame to do all the work and destroy your fun so early on! Get the turbo in run very low boost until you have the transmission to handle it. This is just may opinion and what I plan to do with mine. Anyway good luck with the build and please start a thread for us to follow..

Unitedmotorsport software setup w/Bosch 440cc and a journal bearing Precision 6262 T4 0.68 housing. UM 8' date='5:1 spacer or a 9:1 spacer.

Stiffer engine mounts, LSD diff and a decent clutch.

[/quote']

This is spot on though I'd run a 0.82 AR turbo but that's personal preference I suppose :)

0.82 T4 will be quite laggy. 0.82 T3 is just about right on the GT35R though :)

That list isn't spot on for me. I'd lose the obsolete and crap Bosch 440s and UM tune in favour of Denso 500cc RX8 injectors (the best atomisation bar none, better even than EV14) and a proper custom dyno tune.

I read this thread with interest, I have my V6 4 Motion MK4, it is a 2.8 litre and has only done a mere 47K miles since 2002, I am keeping it looking as standard as possible and de badging it too!

I plan to turbo the motor with a maximum of 400bhp, running fairly low boost, I see the shopping list above and wonder what you can get away with if not pushing for the absolute maximum power achievable from the 2.8.

So, not wanting to get shot for sticking my head above the trench, what do you guys think of this I have seen on flea bay,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400244286322?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I understand it might be suspect for maximum tune scenarios but for a low pressure turbo upgrade I think it might be ok, what do you think?

Hi mate. A few people have ran eBay turbo setups on here, you get what you pay for...

Jim potter had a turbo setup for under 1k... Well known thread on here detailing how ;)

But there was a chap at our rolling road a couple weeks back who had an eBay turbo knocking out 270, not to be sniffed at, but unsure what the lifespan on these turbos are!

All depends what your budget, but would like to see someone brave enough to take the plunge and give one of these ago and provide some feedback, got to be better than one of these electric super chargers though ;) lol

I might well be the the first then, a newbie and a guinea pig too! My plans for the Fo Mo are the odd track day and a weekend toy, so not a daily drive, these budget kits might well be ok for what I want, some extra oomph on the track and no need to chase all the mods through the car, I don't want to end up in a never ending upgrade from engine through to brakes, clutch, tyres, injectors, FMIC and so on, I will have a chat tomorrow with my VW expert mate and of course if the project blue touch paper gets lit, I will run a build thread.