Exterior door handle issue

I can't believe how difficult it's been to locate these things new -if even at all.

Mine stopped working: you pull and nothing happens. I understand this is a common problem as the striker bar breaks over time. I'm waiting on my mechanic to remove the old one so he can tell me what's wrong with it. He said that 'something cracked'. But the door handle looks intact from the outside. I'm willing to bet that it's the striker bar issue, and that I just need to replace it with a new-and-improved (steel) one. I'll try that first. But I LOST THE LINK FOR THESE -can someone repost?

HOWEVER:

If that isn't the issue and I need a NEW set of door handles, here's my other option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Passat-Door-Handle-Conversion-for-Corrado-G60-VR6-SLC-/170590698170

You would buy this kit, but you need a set of Passat handles first. You can take your old Corrado lock cover, and use it instead of the one on the Passat so you can still lock your damn car.

Am I right?

I'm willing to do this if I CAN'T find a set of actual Corrado door handles. If I don't want to mess with it and want a NEW set of Corrado exterior door handles, does anyone know where I can find some?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure brand new handles are "obsolete" as far as VW are concerned.

You'll not need them anyway as it's only ever the striker that breaks. You'll find a kit on eBay again..

Or there is a guy called Daves16v on the Corrado Forum who makes kits. I've used 2 of his kits in the past and they worked a treat. Removing and refitting the arm is a little tricky. Best use a vice to hold the handle whilst you work on it.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=10426&page=76&highlight=handle

Passat rear handles. You'll find them new on eBay for not much. Someone in Poland is making them. Again, I've used these and they're also ok. But make sure you have a key for your boot, otherwise a flat battery will lock you out of the car. If memory serves, you'll also need the Passat lock mechanism from the door shut. I wouldn't bother personally.