2.8 auto gearbox on a 2.9 engine

Hi guys,

I've had my golf fitted with a 2.9 engine which was from a manual corrado so the ecu is for manual. I have this mated to a 2.8 auto gearbox from a golf. The trouble is, the gearbox seems to get confused and will hold gear after kick down and not change up or down properly on occasion. The electrician who did it says he knew from the start it wouldn't work properly.

I've scanned it with Vagcom and it seems to come up with speed sensor faults and a few short to ground faults on the transmission side.

Do you guys see any reason why they shouldn't work together or is there a fix to this? Could it work or should I think about swapping my engine and ecu out to a 2.8 golf auto engine and ecu?

Cheers,

Ollie

Used to have an auto vr6 passat and the gearbox pooped its pants so i wanted to go the other way and fit a manual, and the ecu had to be changed as it was specific for autos so I'm thinking you may need the ecu to mate up to it, not wanting to shift you to another site when I say this but there's a lot of info on vw vortex as the autos are in big numbers in the states so its been covered loads of times

The autobox has its own ecu under the rear seat for programming the gearbox settings as it learns the way you want to drive if the car was auto to start with then there is no reason why it wouldn't work with a 2.9 engine. Have you tried servicing the gearbox.

the gearbox has been serviced yeah. The auto and manual corrado share the same ecu on later models. 2004 onwards i think so my ecu should be ok. The gearbox ecu may be from a later golf. I think I might need to find a corrado auto tcu and gearbox loom