• 1 month later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm just using ebc black pads and haven't crashed so far lol

Try and clean out the holes as much as possible as they'll be full of dirt and tap the key in with a hammer to make sure of a good seat, a dose of WD40 at the joint to the carrier and time to sit coul

The screw is just for holding it lined up with the bolt holes

Right... Been a while but im still here! 

The vr has now got a fully rebuilt front end, and the oil leak appears to have been fixed :) happy days. 

Booked in it for its MOT on monday...Will see how badly she fails.  With a bit of luck wont be too bad... haha. 

• 2 weeks later...

Im back. And ive got bad news on the ol girl. Took it too be MOTed the other day just too see how much work ive got to do on her. Lets say the list is long. Some bits are easy too do like new lights and tyres. Other bits are hard like fixing the holes in the floor and the sills.  Other bits are stupid like the previous owner had cut the front springs to lower it. So ive now got to spend more fixing it than i intended. 

In other news, found out why the battery kept dying on me, and had too remove the whole front end to sort it now. 

IMG_20131009_133608_353_zpscf6b8517.jpg

I also saw you guys at GTI festival. whoever owns the black corrdy with blue ht leads and some blue piping, I really did like it, was a lovely example!

I was on the IOC stand with my mk2 ibiza.

Hope you all had a good day considering the shit weather.

Cheers.  

• 4 weeks later...

Well thats the dying battery fixed. Next issue is too get the standard lights on. Although I think i need new bulbs as the ones out of the projectors do not in the new light holders. Joy of Joys.  

In other news, going to the welders on monday to get the holes covered hopefully. 

Shall keep it all updated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Car has now got no holes in the floor! Bonus. Getting a Mk3 Golf Haynes manual shortly so i can start to take apart the brakes and suspension to clean/replace.  This is now getting somewhere... 

Any tips on how to take apart and clean the brakes would be much appreciated.  

• 2 weeks later...

So, looked at cleaning the brakes up today to try and see if they worked. Decided not to bother as the front discs look as if they have no miles left of life and the pads are nearly gone. So im going to get some new brakes for it.

Question over it though, As stupid as it sounds, but is there any difference between front and rear discs/pads? 

The other question i got is about grooved and drilled discs?  Im guessing drilled discs are for weight saving? But is there any other benefits or negatives about them or should i just stuck with normal discs?

Thanks all.

Drilled discs are for heat dissipation and grooves are for clearing the pads. Sure yet look cool but I don't think they're particularly necessary and they up the price a lot. Drilled discs can crack and groove discs can squeal too. My philosophy is pretty much a disc is a disc, buy some cheap gsf ones and concentrate on the pads. But other people's views may differ from mine.

The fronts and rears are different yea, also the fronts are different from OBD1 (280mm) to OBD2 (288mm)

Drilled discs are for heat dissipation and grooves are for clearing the pads. Sure yet look cool but I don't think they're particularly necessary and they up the price a lot. Drilled discs can crack and groove discs can squeal too. My philosophy is pretty much a disc is a disc, buy some cheap gsf ones and concentrate on the pads. But other people's views may differ from mine.

The fronts and rears are different yea, also the fronts are different from OBD1 (280mm) to OBD2 (288mm)

"Disc is a disc"  That works for me :) And anything too keep the cost as low as possible while still getting good parts. 

Ok, thanks. I know now that mine is OBD2. I am hoping that i should be able too keep the rear discs but if i find a deal ill probably get the full set. 

Thanks again. 

@Ickyketseddie:

I have a PDF copy somewhere, I could a email it if you like. As they can be hard to find.

Any chance I could have a copy of this? Pretty pleeeeeaasse?

I've got both the Haynes manual (for Mk3 Golf generally) and an engine manual by "Peter Russek" (specifically for VR6 engines) - the latter is highly recommended. An ideal stocking filler for any self-respecting VR6 owner :-)

However, judging by previous posts the Bentley manual is the daddy. So if I could scrounge it that would be great...I'm not doing anything to dispel the tight-fisted Scotsman stereotype.