my mk2 vr6 supercharged show car to track toy (PIC HEAVY)

Hi Guys

I thought I would do a bit of an update. Obviously the car got through mapping fine which allowed me to really start opening up on the road. Even managed to have a play with a B7 RS4 and had the legs on it, I don't think he was too impressed!!! I got her 4 wheel aligned in preparation to RWYB at santa pod and then disaster happened....

Top end of 3rd and something just didn't sound right. I was hoping it might be nothing serious so i got it home and started inspecting. It didn't take me long to find the problem

20160422_134053.jpg

20160422_134312.jpg

20160422_132934.jpg

Needless to say I wasn't very happy. I have sent of an email to schimmel to see what they are going to do about the situation, clearly this sort of thing shouldn't happen!!! I haven't started stripping the engine down any more yet, I'm really hoping that no internal damage has been ocurred. 

It has been all quite devastating after all the problems I have has with this engine. It was so annoying as the engine was running so strong and I feel as if there was nothing that I could have done to have stopped this from happening. what a freak event!!!

Well that's it for now. I will keep you posted when I hear a reply from the supplier

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi Guys thought i best do an update on this thread as its been so long. So basically i came home 5 weeks ago to have an operation on my shoulder. it has put me out of action for a few weeks but i have

Alright guys Its been ages since i last updated this thread. Well what can I say, things didn't go too well after the last engine build  I managed to complete 1200 run-in miles and then took it t

Hello all. been a while since I last updated my thread. Last time I had posted was when I had just got it on the road after it had just decided to go bang after an oil pump failure. Well after just un

On 4/24/2016 at 10:13 AM, VR6Pete said:

Wow. That's very rare for that to happen and can only assume it was badly cast.

assuming you've removed the bearing caps just to make sure everything looks fine there?

Gutted for you mate. But hopefully no lasting damage 

I have removed all the cam bearing caps and they are showing signs of slight wear. I am just waiting on a bore mic to check they are still within spec. Other than that I am just working on borrowing a leak down tester to make sure I haven't done any lasting damage to the cylinders. Just crossing fingers and toes that I can just throw a new cam in it and it will be all good. Worst case scenario it has scrapped the block and the head, if thats happened i think I will be calling it a day!!!

You most probably don't want to read or hear this, but it's worth knowing.... 

I would check the small oil holes, on bottom of the camshaft bearing (which are called the camshalfs saddle I believe) 

Each camshaft saddle should have it's own oil feed hole, with the two either end of the cylinder head having grooves. One of these could have become blocked from the debbry from the old broken con rod bearing, or other junk and crap. 

VR6's (plus many other cars) run on these 'plane' style bearings. They work by the shaft floating on a thin film of oil, using the hydroplane principle.

That is why there is no traditional bearings like on small block Chevys and some very old ford. They were done away with along time ago. 

If the film of oil is insufficient or none existent between the camshaft and it's saddle to much friction can be caused. Large amounts of friction can cause huge damage. Like camshalfs snapping. 

Either bad casting or what I just mentioned are the only two reasons I can think of for a camshaft to snap like that. 

Edited by c00k
  • 3 months later...

Hi Guys

I thought I would do a bit of an update as it has been a while. Well I got the new camshaft from schimmel, fitted it and to my amazement I didn't actually clip any valves. I compression tested it and everything was fine so I boxed up the engine, checked the fluids and ran her up! Since then I have been to bug jam and ran the car down the drag strip. I managed a best time of 13.4 seconds with a terminal speed of 108mph. I am quite happy with how it ran other than struggling with traction in first gear. I am hoping by changing the wheel alignment and tyre pressures I will be able to get down to 13 seconds flat.

Here is a link to a clip of my car running down the drag strip, I hope you enjoy

Running down the drag strip @ santa pod raceway

I will update again soon when I have drove it a bit more and maybe done a few more modifications

Hi Guys
I thought I would make another video of all my runs at santa pod, so here it is!

Golf Mk2 stage 3 supercharged VR6 runs @ santa pod raceway

I hope you enjoy the video. The car has been running great lately, I'm so pleased with it. i will be going to a few shows with her and hopefully I will have it on a track in the coming weeks. I will keep you posted with how it all goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I thought I would do an update as I have found some time to do some work on the car and ive even managed to take it to a couple of shows. Because I was taking it to some shows there were a couple of things I wanted to sort out as they were letting the car down.

first of all was the rear tail lights. They have been tint sprayed red previously but the light has got them and started to turn them orange as you can see

20160804_112035.jpg

So I masked them up and re-tinted them to get them looking half decent again

20160804_112545.jpg

20160804_200415.jpg

Im pretty happy with how they came out and i think it makes the back of the car look much better

20160809_172215.jpg

Next I moved on to the rear arches. I had previously put some carbon fibre effect vinyl on the bottom of the rear arches as i was getting a lot of stone chips and I was hoping this would help stop them. however the vinyl want strong enough and I thought it looked a little crap, as you can see

20160804_131844.jpg

So I went out and bought some 3M gel coated carbon fibre vinyl that I believe has actual weave impregnated into it, I really like the way it looks and I am hoping the gel coating will help protect against stone chips. Here's how it looks on the car, I think the results are much better!

20160804_131832.jpg

20160804_202355.jpg

After completing this and giving the car a clean I then moved on to the interior. I had noticed that the paint had started to wear through in the footwells from getting in and out the car all the time, so I decided to get the black paint out and go over any areas that needed attention. I then decided to mount some floor mats in there on velcro just to make life a little easier. next I turned my attention to all the aluminium components and the rear strut brace. because the car has sat outside for so long the light had faded the powder coat on the strut brace and dulled all the polished parts. So i repainted the strut brace and got the polish out and repolished all the aluminium. i even stripped the shifter down and got that on the bench polisher to make it super bling!!!! Here are the results

P1010046.jpg

P1010045.jpg

I am very happy with how it has come out, it turns out you can polish a turd!!!! here  is a couple of shots of the car all clean

20160731_205729.jpg

P1010040.jpg

Thats all for now, but I will have a big update soon as I am currently doing some work on the car that im quite excited about!

• 2 weeks later...

Right, update time!!!

I decided to take the car off the road for a couple of weeks as one of the shocks was leaking.

I started by stripping off the suspension and wheels. I sent the shocks to GAZ to get serviced with new rods and seals and decided to send the wheels to the powder coaters as they were looking a little tired and I fancied a colour change!

20160815_131521.jpg

Whilst the car was up on stands doing nothing I thought I would spend the time rebuilding the gearbox as it was getting a little noisy and I didn't like the look of the oil that came out of the last gearbox change. So I set about removing the gearbox without pulling the whole engine. Just a not to anyone attempting to remove a gearbox without removing the engine, it is an utter ballache but if you remove the drive flanges and the gearbox mount it can be done. Here is a pic of me removing the box

20160817_133753.jpg

Once I had removed the gearbox I started to strip it down to see what condition it was in. There was a lot of metallic sludge in the gearbox so I decided it would be best to build a different set of gear in to the box. Luckily I had a spare gearbox kicking about so i commenced stripping the gear sets out of the spare one.

20160803_194842.jpg

20160817_173144.jpg

After stripping both gearboxes I now just needed to fit all the new bearings to the spare gear sets clean everything up and put them back together. I made a bit of a cleaning area and commenced cleaning everything and fitting the new bearings

20160818_122838.jpg

20160819_114509.jpg

After fitting all the bearings and making sure everything was clean, it was then on to the task of completing all the preload checks on each shaft. Using the correct specs and a DTI I was able to measure what preload each shaft was under. Its not exactly done how the VW manual states but it still worked out the same.

20160818_152454.jpg

Prebuild checks completed, it was time to put the gearbox back together for the final time.

20160819_114820.jpg

20160819_120227.jpg

20160819_121402.jpg

20160822_164955.jpg

All rebuilt I then just had the small task of refitting it. Luckily not too much bad language was said as I managed to get it in to place without too much difficulty.

The next major tasks was to upgrade the brakes. I had been sitting on a set of wilwwod superlites for a few years but I had never got around to fitting them. i started by stripping the old paint off the calipers

20160821_172628.jpg

Next I painted them and then remade new link pipes for them.

20160824_170910.jpg

I thought it would be a nice touch to make the writing stand out a bit more so i painted in the letters white. This took me a very long time as it turns out I dont have a very steady hand and I kept getting white over run in the red and then when I would touch up the red I would end up getting it in the white!!!! but after about 5 attempts I finally managed to get something that looked like it actually said wilwood :)

20160825_105619.jpg

Once completed I then commenced fitting them on to the car. i had already worked out what offsets I needed to make them mount up properly. I ended up using a 312mm disc originally of an audi tt or golf mk4. I spent a little extra and got some brembo drilled discs that I think look pretty decent. I also machining the caliper carrier 8mm to try and get the disc to sit central within the caliper. heres the final result

20160825_184034.jpg

My suspension arrived back from Gaz, so i decided to do what I always do. I covered the threads in graphite sspray and the wrapped them in cling film to stop them corroding.

20160825_150450.jpg

20160825_164729.jpg

I received my wheels back from the powder coaters and im very happy with how they came out

20160824_134102.jpg

received_1438601449489648.jpeg

20160826_075813.jpg

And i'm afraid that's all for now. 'Im hoping to get some track days done and a couple of sessions down at santa pod so I wont be doing anything other than maintenance probably for a little while. i hope you like the progress anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I have just got back from my first ever track day in the Golf. I ended up going to Oulton Park and I had an amazing time. The car performed really well as I was very worried that it wouldn't go around a corner well at all. It turns out it handles really quite well and the engine seemed strong for the whole day. I am planning on doing another track day next week, so im going to try and sort the few minor issues I do have. I am having some fueling issues which im going to try and chase out but other than that the car seemed really good.

Here is a link to a couple of laps at Oulton Park, I hope you enjoy

Oulton Park trackday