my mk2 vr6 supercharged show car to track toy (PIC HEAVY)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi Guys thought i best do an update on this thread as its been so long. So basically i came home 5 weeks ago to have an operation on my shoulder. it has put me out of action for a few weeks but i have

Alright guys Its been ages since i last updated this thread. Well what can I say, things didn't go too well after the last engine build  I managed to complete 1200 run-in miles and then took it t

Hello all. been a while since I last updated my thread. Last time I had posted was when I had just got it on the road after it had just decided to go bang after an oil pump failure. Well after just un

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Alright guys

Its been ages since i last updated this thread. Well what can I say, things didn't go too well after the last engine build :( I managed to complete 1200 run-in miles and then took it to stealth for some mapping where it decided to give up on me, on the rollers!!! After a little bit of an investigation it was found that I had spun another big end bearing, due to not cleaning out the pressure relief valve on the oil pump. I wasn't happy to say the least!!!

Well that was that for nearly a year. Work commitments and other things left me with very little time to work on the car. However i managed to find some time in January to rebuild and fit the engine. I also managed to to take a video of the engine being fitted. I have posted a link to the video below

Mk2 Golf supercharged VR6 engine install

I have managed to get the car up and running again, although i have an idle issue which i'm currently chasing. I'm afraid i haven't got much else to update at the moment as i have gone away on work again. I am hoping to be back home in just over a week, then i can complete the run in miles and hopefully get some good videos of her finally on WOT :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Last time I left you I had got the engine in and running but it wasn't running that well. I finally finished the job I was away on and i have managed to get some hours in on the golf! After scratching my head for a while I decided that the idle issue must have been caused by either a boost/vacuum leak or a dodgy ISV.

I decided to start by checking for boost leaks on the inlet track as I wanted to be sure that there were no leaks anyway. I knew this was going to be a bit of a pain as the engine was in and all timed up so at least one valve would be open which would mean it would try and pressurise the whole engine. i managed to get around this by pulling the crank case breather pipe off the oil catch can and plugging it. I then turned the aluminium pipe by the supercharger and fitted a metal plug that had an air line fitting welded to it. Then using one of those crappy electric compressors that you blow your tyres up with i was able to pressurise the inlet track. Using water and fairy liquid in a spray bottle I was able to spray any mating faces/pipes and checks for leaks. It was a good thing I did too as I found a leak on the ISV pipework, a leak on a vaccum line that fed the fuel pressure regulator and a massive leak on the dump valve. The valve head of the dump valve wasn't seating properly on its seat so it was just passing air all the time. I was able to lap the valve head back in to the seat which re-introduced the seal. After fixing all the leaks I then refitted the aluminium elbow and started the car. She ran better but still had the same idle issue. Here are a couple of pictures of the setup I used to check for boost leaks. I was very happy with how well it worked as now I can be sure that I will have no boost leaks that could cause a loss in power, and we don't want that!!!:D 

20160311_141517.jpg

20160311_141522.jpg

After fixing the leaks and not getting rid of the idle issue I was pretty sure that the ISV would be the cause of my problems. I removed the ISV and put 12V to it to check that the flap opened, It didn't! Because I didn't have a spare and couldn't get hold of one quickly I decided to see whether I could fix it myself. I had read on the net that you could put carb cleaner or electrical contact cleaner in them and some times it got them working again. i tried this but it didn't work. I decided to pull it apart so i filed the pressed tabs off the top of the ISV where the power supply connects. I removed the cap which gave me access to the internal working of the ISV. I was then able to tap the centre shaft out of the ISV and this is where the problem was found. When I removed the shaft there was a load of hard brown crap on it. Using some fine emery tape i cleaned up the shaft and fitted the ISV back together. I then put some power to it and boom, The flap opened!!! I refitted the ISV in to the car, started her up and she ran sweet.

I am now completing the run in miles on the engine. Hopefully in the next few days I will be able to put up some videos of her being fully opened up.

Speak soon

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, matty.vrt said:

Yeh, spill the beans?

I never went further than stage 2 with my vortech, interested in knowing the gains the charge cooler and other bits have added.

Im not going to lie I was a little disappointed with the figures. I managed 293BHP @ 6770 RPM and 230 ft/lb of torque @ 6030 RPM. Its only managed to gain 4BHP with the charge cooler setup. I have a 12 psi pulley that I am thinking of using to get the  figures to over the 300BHP that I wanted but we shall see. Im hoping I might be able to eek out a few more horse power just with a few tweaks

8 hours ago, VR6Pete said:

Looking at the oil feed pipe going into the charger, there looks to be a secondary 90 degree fitting ?

What is this for ?

Honestly I have been asking myself this same question for a long time. It goes to a braided line that runs around the supercharger and in to the pressure side of the charger housinf. I will see if i can find a picture that better shows you

22 hours ago, dom.joy said:

Shame about the engine troubles but good job in keeping going.

What diameter pulley are you using?And what psi?

I cant remember the pulley diameter off hand, but its the 8psi pulley. I am however not making 8 psi, from what i can see from the digital boost gauge I am making just over 6.5psi. I believe this is because I have increased the volume in the inlet and the supercharger cant push that amount of volume at the same pressure. I am thinking of machining the pulley down slightly to increase the RPM on the supercharger and therefore increase boost pressure. I have a 12psi pulley kicking about but I am apprehensive to use this as I would probably have to use a decompression plate.

1 hour ago, johan238 said:

I cant remember the pulley diameter off hand, but its the 8psi pulley. I am however not making 8 psi, from what i can see from the digital boost gauge I am making just over 6.5psi. I believe this is because I have increased the volume in the inlet and the supercharger cant push that amount of volume at the same pressure. I am thinking of machining the pulley down slightly to increase the RPM on the supercharger and therefore increase boost pressure. I have a 12psi pulley kicking about but I am apprehensive to use this as I would probably have to use a decompression plate.

Ah okay. If you do get the chance to stick a ruler or caliper accross it let me know. I'm looking to get mapped to 8psi soon

On 4/6/2016 at 11:50 AM, johan238 said:

I have ran 11psi on my turbo'd setup without a decomp plate, so with the pressure losses you are experiencing I think you would be ok.