my mk2 vr6 supercharged show car to track toy (PIC HEAVY)

Hi

I have been meaning to do a diary on my mk2 vr6 project for years but i have only just got round to it. I have owned the car for just over 5 years and has gone through a few transformations. this is originally what the car looked like when i bought it ( a bit of a scrapper) I had bought it off a mate and it had already had the vr6 lump transpanted into it, but it was a bit bodged so i thought i would split it all apart again and try and clean it up a bit.

P170508_1617.jpg

I then proceeded to fully strip the interior and exterior and rebuild it. I started by pulling out then engine and cleaning and painting the front and rear subframes. I replaced the old bushes with power flex bushes throughout as you can see from the photos. I fitted eibach anti roll bars front and rear. I also stripped all the brakes and sent them to be powdercoated. The colour scheme for the car was black and red as you will be able to tell. i built the brakes back up with new grooved discs, omp pads and goodridge braided lines. I also replaced the tired coilovers with GAZ gold height and damper adjustable items.

P040108_1432.jpg

P240309_1259.jpg

P200309_1718.jpg

Once i had put the subframes back on the car and got it back to a rolling shell i then sent it off to my local painters and had the whole car painted. I got them to smooth parts of the bay and weld up all the holes that attached the bump strips and arches. I wanted to leave the arches off so i also got them to weld in bigger arches so it kept the stance that the plastic arches gave. I also got them to weld up the window wiper holes as i was going single wiper on the front and no wiper on the back. I got the arial hole welded up also, the front and rear bumpers smoothed and the recess for the rear number plate shortened.

P070609_2012.jpg

P040108_1728.jpg

Once i got it back from the painters it was on to the engine. I had the engine fully rebuilt with all new seals, timing chains, guides etc for piece of mind that when i ran it she was going to be good. I also fitted a set of piper 263 cams, a lightened flywheel, techniclutch fast road clutch, a decent set of plugs and leads and a BMC carbon induction kit. I also had the throttle body ported and polished and sent the injectors away to be ultrasonically cleaned. I fitted a 6 branch manifold, milltek de-cat and a powerflow exhaust system for good measure. When id did get it on the road n/a it achieved 212bhp with stealth racing which i thought was a healthy result. I also fitted some red silicone coolant hoses, an omp strut brace and the slam panel rocker cover and inlet manifold powder coated just to tart the bay up a little bit.

P130409_1935.jpg

Now on to the interior. I decided to sound deaden everything. I literally done from bulkhead to boot fully sound deadened, it was a mission.

DSCN3093.jpg

I then fitted the carpets and managed to get hold of some lovely red and black leather seats. However the doorcards that i got with this interior were shagged and i didn't want to use them. luckily my mate had got some awesome M&J interiors door cards that i bought off him for a pretty penny.

DSCN3075.jpg

DSCN3076.jpg

DSCN3077.jpg

I wanted to do something a bit different with the dashboard and didn't much like the original mk2 dash. so i got hold of a corrado dash and chopped it a bit to make it fit. After i had achieved a good fit it then got sent to central blast cleaning where they flocked it for me. I think it looks awesome. I also fitted corrado clocks to go with the corrado dash and an omp steering wheel for good measure.

DSCN3074.jpg

There was probably loads of other stuff that i did to it but im trying to remember how it was four years ago and i dont really have that many photos to jog my memory. I finished it off with a set of Borbet A wheels and also fitted a set of HID's a debadged grill, colour coded door handles with no locks as i was running a toad alarm and thats about all i can remember. This is what it looked like.

P290809_1823.jpg

P070609_2012.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi Guys thought i best do an update on this thread as its been so long. So basically i came home 5 weeks ago to have an operation on my shoulder. it has put me out of action for a few weeks but i have

Alright guys Its been ages since i last updated this thread. Well what can I say, things didn't go too well after the last engine build  I managed to complete 1200 run-in miles and then took it t

Hello all. been a while since I last updated my thread. Last time I had posted was when I had just got it on the road after it had just decided to go bang after an oil pump failure. Well after just un

I probably ran the above setup for about 6 months until idecide that i needed more power :) I the set about aquiring a supercharger kit. I decided on a vf engineering stage 2 supercharger setup that i picked up second hand. I also decide that i would also strip the engine down again and get some more bits powder coated in the process to make the engine bay look a bit better. I had the gearbox, and pretty much all the ancilleries and brackets powdercoated to give it the look that i was going for. I also bought a polished aluminium crack pipe and a mocal oil cooler kit for good measure. The supercharger setup ran a 8 psi pulley red top injectors and a ran a colder set of iridium plugs just to be on the safe side. Here are some build pics of the engine and the final fitting of the engine.

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

P010310_1843.jpg

P010310_1842.jpg

P010310_2059.jpg

I didnt bother running the engine on the chip supplied as i wanted to take it back to stealth racing for a decent map. The car achieved 289 BHP which i was pretty happy with. Vince however did say that the piper 268 cams were no good with a supercharger setup so i ordered and fitted as set of schimmel 263 cams. I never got the car mapped again after getting these cams but i would have though it was producing around 300 BHP. I also decide to go for a bit of a wheel change as i had got bored of the Borbet A's. I decided on a set of staggered 16" image wheels. the were 8.5" up front and 9.5" on the rear. I sent the wheels off to my local powder coaters to have the centres done gloss black and the baskets done in red, i just polished the dishes and the bolts. This is what the motor looked like, it was a right head turner.

wheels.jpg

DSCN2637.jpg

DSCN2635.jpg

i ran the car like this for a few months and also took it to santapod raceway and ran it down the strip. I found that the car was wheel spinning an awful lot so i decided to fit a pelquin lsd. here is a pic of me fitting the lsd. My mate told me that i would most probably blow the box up after fitting it, but how wrong he was :)

DSC00011.jpg

I took the car back to santapod after fitting the lsd and managed to achieve a much better time. i think if i had played about with the wheel alignment a bit i would have probably achieved an even better time. I think i achieved a high 12 second quarter mile but i can't actually remember. I have the times at home but i am currently away so will update with a time when i get home. I never ended up going back there as plans changed and the car ended up going off the road for a couple of years due to my next setup of the car :) i work away a lot so progress on the car has been slow.

Right, the final transformation of my car :) I started this about two years ago. As i said i work away a lot so progress has been really slow. it all started because one of my mates somehow managed to persuade me to by some carbon fibre goodies from performance trim just before it went bankrupt. I bought a full carbon fibre bonnet (internal and external skin) a full carbon fibre boot carbon fibre door cards and a carbon fibre roof. After sheeling out so much for carbon fibre goodies i decided to go for more of a motorsport orientated look for my mk2 and set it up for track and drag use. Here are a few pics of the parts i got from performance trim.

P1000179.jpg

P1000181.jpg

P1000182.jpg

P1000183.jpg

P1000190.jpg

P1000192.jpg

P1000193.jpg

After getting the parts from performance trim i decided that i wanted a bit more carbon fibre in my life so i bought these border carbon fibre bucket seats

P1000184.jpg

I then proceeded to once again strip everything out of my car to get ready for taking the grinder to the shell. I started by stripping out the interior and realised that if i was going to save weight i needed to take out all the sound deadening that i had spent so long putting on. it turns out it takes 10 times longer to remove the stuff than it does to put on. Once i had pain stakingly taken every ounce of sound deadening from the floor pan i decided that it would be best to paint the interior so it didn't rot out. I used acid 8 etch primer then top coated it with some durable gloss black i found at my local hardware store. I got the grinder out and cut out the front seat supports and the rear bench supports to save me a little more weight. then it came to the point of taking the grinder to my beloved roof. I cut out the roof leaving a couple of inches around the outside to give the roof something to bond too. This is the finished result.

P1000325.jpg

P1000329.jpg

P1000330.jpg

After painting the interior then came to the point of needing to get the car sealed again. So using some high strength sealent me and my mates fitted the carbon fibre roof

P1000331.jpg

We then trial fitted the carbon fibre roof and boot. I also bought a full set of polycarbonate windows to add to the weight saving.

P1000404.jpg

P1000405.jpg

The car then sat for almost a year as i was so busy working away with work. After returning at the back end of september last year i found that the car had started to rot out in a few places. So for the following couple of weeks i spent some time cutting out the rot and welding new plates in. i then etch primed, painted and under sealed the underneath of the car and all the arch wells.

20130205_124838.jpg

20130205_124651.jpg

just to note the hole has had a plate welded in to it, i just never took a picture of it, lol.

Whilst i had use of a welder and a man that could weld i thought i would also do something that i had been meaning to for years. When i bought the car off the previous owner, instead of cutting a nice neet hole for the clutch master cylinder they had just cut a massive hole which was letting water in to the drivers side floor pan. We cut a square out of the bulkhead and welded in a plate to tidy up the mess he had made.

20130205_124719.jpg

With the engine being out to have to weld the bulkhead i thought i would partially strip down the engine again just to give it a good clean. I also set about trying to get a bit more power out of the engine. Beacuse i have done pretty much everything i can do with the engine and supercharger i decided the only way to get more power would be to run a charge cooler system. A set about getting hold of a schimmel short runner intake manifold, a pwr charge cooler, high flow water pump and a decent radiator to cool the water. Here are some pics of the engine build with the short runner intake. I also polished up a few bits whilst i was at it.

20130329_182158.jpg

20130327_204040.jpg

20130402_121424.jpg

Before i fitted the engine again i thought i would paint the engine bay because it was looking a bit tired. I flatted the bay back and then painted it. Here are a few pics of the engine bay and of the engine being fitted. The engine is not quite finished yet as i am struggling getting custom boost pipework and silicone couplers made up.

20130331_154659.jpg

20130331_202502.jpg

20130402_120524.jpg

20130402_185540.jpg

20130420_133945.jpg

I will update in a little bit the rest of the things that i have done to the car

Right, the last update until i get home and get to do some more work on the motor.

Once i had fitted the engine back into the car it was then the mission of trying to fit the radiator and fan setup. Because i had gone to a short runner intake it left me with a little bit less room upfront. That coupled with the fact that i had to fit another radiator for the charge cooler system made it quite a feet. I started by purchasing some slime line fans to help utalise the limited space i had. I then mounted the charge cooler rad and engine coolant rad together as close as i could. I then went and bought a sheet of aluminium and set about making a new fan housing for my two slimline fans. After mounting everything together i found that i still didn't have enough space to mount the radiators behind the slam panel without hitting the engine. It was decided that i would have to cut out quite a large portion of the slam panel then mount the radiators into the slam panel to retain the rigdity after cutting so much out. Here are a few pics of the finished result. Im well happy with it although it took quite a few days to do.

20130405_150109.jpg

20130405_150128.jpg

The rad setup is however going to change slightly as i have bought two 7" fans to mount at the bottom of the charge cooler rad (behind the front bumper) just to try and keep the charge water as cold as possible. These will be mounted on a flick switch so i can run them constantly.

Next, my attention turned to the fuel system. I had ditched the original vr6 tank that i had previously been using as i had wanted to go with an after market plastic fuel cell and a decent fuel pump setup. After a bit of trawling on the internet i decided upon a 20 litre fuel cell, 2 litre surge tank, facet red top lift pump and bosch 044 fuel pump. This setup is capable of running a 600BHP engine so it is more than enough for what i am running. I also decided that i wanted to run braided fuel lines throughout to give it that real motorsport look. I opted for running the fuel feed and return inside the car (either side of the exhaust tunnel) just cus it had cost me so dam much in braided line and fuel fittings i though i might aswell show them off, lol. After multiple trips to earls and graham goods to buy the excessively over priced fuel fittings i finally managed to finsh piping in the fuel system. Here are a few pics of the fuel cell and pump setup. It is all mounted where the rear bench would be. I didn't however get any pictures of the lines running either side of the exhaust tunnel and through the bulk head. I will update with a few more pics the next time i am home and get a chance

20130419_154540.jpg

Im afraid that is all the pics i have of the car. I have however also fitted a braille race battery in the passenger side of the boot and ran the power cable through the car. I have also had my mate weld in the seat supports for the carbon fibre bucket seats and had the eyebolt anchors welded into the car. The custom alloy boost pipes, we ended up buying some universal bits and cutting the to suit and got them welded up by a local company that deals with aluminium fabrication. I was well happy with the result and will post up a pics off the pipes when i get a chance. the car is now in a position where the only thing stopping it being fired up is some fuel and a custom silicone coupler that i need making up.

There is still a vast to do list though.

I kept going through front top mounts so i have found a company in Poland that make a lovely set of adjustable top mounts. I have bought a pair that i have been informed have arrived at my house a couple of days ago. I will let everyone if they are any good. When i set about fitting the top mounts i am also going to change the GAZ springs for some heavier ones as i was having problems with the front end bogging down when it was last on the road. I will also change the drop links, track rod ends, steering gaiters and ball joints whilst i am there just for good meaure. All the parts are there i just need the time to fit them, lol. i may also send the front subframe to my local powder coaters to get it coated, just because i have brush painted it a couple of times now and it never seems to last. I am also tempted to get the rear and gearbox engine mount uprated. I have a vibra technics front engine mount but i think it would be best to upgrade the other 2.

There are many other things that need doing also, i literally have 2 A4 sheets full of stuff that i need to do before i can put it on the road. I will update again when i have some fresh pics and have done some more work on it.

And I was impressed at your other thread, this has blown me away, some time and effort has gone into this mate, loving the carbon roof skin too. Bet its a total animal on the road! You 100% need to bring this to our rolling road day!

How does it drive on the road? Got any more plans for it?

im away on work atm and should be back at the tail end of this month. im hoping I will just about have enough time to get the car on the road before the rolling road day, fingers crossed :) if I cant make it in the mk2 I will pop up anyway just to see everyone as I only live a few miles away from stealth.

the fuel fittings really did cost me a small fortune. I had quite a few to start with but ended up needing another 25 which was a bit frustrating, I think it was worth the money though.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, cant wait to get back home now and get stuck in to it :)

im away on work atm and should be back at the tail end of this month. im hoping I will just about have enough time to get the car on the road before the rolling road day' date=' fingers crossed :) if I cant make it in the mk2 I will pop up anyway just to see everyone as I only live a few miles away from stealth.

the fuel fittings really did cost me a small fortune. I had quite a few to start with but ended up needing another 25 which was a bit frustrating, I think it was worth the money though.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, cant wait to get back home now and get stuck in to it :)

[/quote']

Be good if you can :) Don't forget to register via the forum link - http://vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?503491.post

you may well be up for a trophy if your the highest charged car on the day ;) unless anyone else is up for the challenge? :D

Hello all

I thought I would do a bit of an update. As you may know I have been away on work but I managed to get home for a couple of days. Although I didn't actually get a chance to do any work on the car I did manage to get some pictures of the progress you haven't seen.

First I will start with a few pics of some of the parts I have ordered for the motor. here are a few service parts and a few goodies too. I actually got that bores at work 1 night that I priced up how much everything had cost me for this build on an excel spreadsheet, lol. The answer definitely gave me a bit of a shock :/

20130517_091615.jpg

a few service parts, my harnesses, new springs for the front, some bome boost clamps, a couple of fans for the charge cooler, rad, a length of battery cable and conduit and some p clips for the wiring and fuel lines

20130517_092557.jpg

steering wheel with snap off boss kit

20130517_092328.jpg

the boost pipes we fabricated

20130517_090744.jpg

some good quality looking adjustable top mounts cus I always seemed to be going through standard top mounts, it was doing my head in

20130517_090931.jpg

some tiny f1 style carbon fibre mirrors.

Right now for the progress report. I will start with the mirrors. the mirrors I have bought are going to have to be attached lower down on the door if they are going to look any good. This meant having to make a blank to cover the hole where the original mirrors went. These are the blanks that I made up for them. They will be covered in a sticky backed genuine carbon fibre film when im finished. The only reason that I haven't stuck this on yet is that I have just received some new window seals so I will need to fit them first.

20130517_090528.jpg

After fitting the carbon fibre roof I found it to be quite wobbly as there was no support there. I decide to use some strips of aluminium and bond them in place for support. This didn't quite work aswell as I had hoped as it still wasn't that rigid. On the middle brace I decided to bond another bit of curved aluminium to it but vertically instead of horizontally. this has really done the trick and I am very pleased with how it looks and how rigid the roof is.

20130517_090427.jpg

Next onto the seat mounts. I decided to chop out the existing seat support and make my own. I also decide to make my own seat side mounts as it was quite expensive to buy aluminium ones. I am trying to keep everything as light as possible so I am usinf aluminium wherever I can.

20130517_090300.jpg

20130517_090253-1.jpg

20130517_091213.jpg

I have also bought a washer jet bag which I mounted in the boot. It seems to bit better than the original bottle which is good. I have ran the washer jet feed up the c pillar, through the roof support and down the a pillar to hide it a bit better.

20130517_090335.jpg

Next onto the battery. I have ran the battery in the boot and have managed to get hold of a braille race battery for a reasonable price. I also got hold of some quick release battery terminals and some decent battery cable. I am well happy with the result.

20130517_092131.jpg

I didn't really know what to door about door pulls now that I have carbon door cards. I didn't really like any of the stuff that I had seen on the internet. In the end I decide to utilise the window winder mech as a door pull because I cant actually use the mech to wind the windows down as it will knacker the Perspex. Its not the best but it does the job and they are more than strong enough to deal with my brutal mates slamming the door, lol.

20130517_090449.jpg

I had some harness eyebolt plates welded into the floor pan to secure my harnesses too. They still need prepping back but they are more than man enough for the job, I f you are wondering what they tray in the middle is it is what holds my fuel cell. I have stripped everything back out of the car for safe keeping whilst i am away.

20130517_090511.jpg

I thought I would take some more pics of the engine bay as it stands at the moment with the boost pipes in place. I have also re-routed the fuel lines to the fpr slightly as I think it looks a little better. I have also put some heat shielding around the charge cooler as it is sat right above the exhaust

20130517_090234.jpg

20130517_090224.jpg

20130517_090219-1.jpg

20130517_092250.jpg

And im afraid that is about all I have to update. I should be back in a couple of weeks and I should be getting a little while off then. I an hoping during this time I can get it finished and back on the road.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys

Its been a while but i have been super busy with work and havent really had any time at home to continue witht the build. i have managed to have the last 3 weeks at home which i was hoping to spend on the mk2. However I ended up just going out and enjoying myself instead of getting stuck in to the build. I did manage to get a bit of work done on the motor though :)

20130725_175939.jpg

Managed to get her on the driveway to start getting fluids in the engine ready for the first sart in 2 years. I also treated myself to a new car :) it was a bit of a present to myself after the hectic few months i have had working away

20130803_121951.jpg

I managed to get hold of the last alloy bend i needed to finish off the intake pipe work. It has since been sent away and welded up and its now sitting pretty in my bay. I am well happy witht the finished result. You can also see that i have fitted the adjustable top mounts. I am well happy with these as i bought them on a bit of a whim and didn't really know how well they would work. They are a class bit of kit though and cheap considering the amount of machinig it takes to produce them.

20130803_122007.jpg

20130803_122022.jpg

Next, i moved on to the interior and ran all my interior loom wiring. I wrapped it in conduit and p clipped it in place. i also p clipped all the fuel lines. i am really happy with the result and i think it looks quite clean whilst maintaining the motorsport look i am going for.

20130808_144433.jpg

I also treated myslef to this little beauty. Its a CAE racing shifter tower. It has limited throw make the changes between gears very short and also raises the shifter up so it is only about 3 inches away from the steering wheel. Its an absolute pig to set up, but i am well happy with it. It still needs a bit of fine tuning but i can get all of the gears. At the moment its just a bit of a pain to find 1st and reverse.

20130820_201009.jpg

Next i set about fitting the charge cooler fans. I wanted to keep the charge cooler radiator as cool as possible so i have opted for a quad fan setup. there are 2 12" fans that are inside the engine bay that pull the air through the 2 radiators, these are wired into the normal fan control module so are only working when the engine gets hot. I wasn't happy with how much the front bumper restricts airflow to the front charge cooler radiator so i opted to put 2, 7" fans at the bottom of the charge cooler rad to improve airflow where the front bumper sits. These fans are hooked up to a flick switch in the cabin so i plan on running these pretty much all the time. I am very happy with the result even if they are a bit tight when the front bumper is on.

Finally i decided to bite the bullet and try and start the beast. I filled the engine with all its vital fluids and turned the key. to my amazement it actually started first time with almost no hesitation. I was really surprised as she hasn't ran in over 2 years and i was certain that i would have forgotten to wire something in. Here are a couple of vids of it running, hopefully they work

th_20130813_155713.jpg

th_20130813_163341.jpg

And im afraid that is all the progress i have manged to make. I have had to go away on work again, this time for 2 months. So im afraid there wont be much progress until November/December time. I am hoping it will be finished before christmas, fingers crossed :)

• 5 months later...

hello all

Good news I have finally finished the build on the golf. Well 99% anyway, she is back on the road. had a few problems though. About a day from being completed the engine decided to go bang so I ended up spending the following week rebuilding it. But after a lot of hours and money she is finally back on the road. here are a few pics of the final build

I will start with the engine bay

This is a pic of when me and my mate were refitting the engine

20140207_143543.jpg

This is a pic of the finished bay, polished everything when it was out aswell

20140207_143533.jpg

I shall now move on to the interior. I spent a while fitting the dash and seats and then spent a lot of time working on the centre console to fit the flick switches and fuse holder. I am very happy with the outcome. just need to fit the bottom trays now and put some gauges in them

20140216_140024.jpg

20140216_135951.jpg

20140213_151757.jpg

I have also fitted the carbon fibre front door cards, and after a major ballache in getting them to fit properly with the door handles I am very happy with the outcome. The black ball is what I am using to close the doors, lol

20140126_134528.jpg

I am afraid that's all the pics I have for now. I will try and give her a clean tomorrow and get a few pics of the exterior with the new carbon fibre door mirrors, etc

Hope you like it

• 3 months later...

Hello all.

been a while since I last updated my thread. Last time I had posted was when I had just got it on the road after it had just decided to go bang after an oil pump failure. Well after just under 1000 miles it has decided to go pop again :( I nearly through the towel in to be honest but it has cost me way to much time and money to stop now. Basically it started to knock after I ran it down the strip a few times at pod. Turns out it destroyed a big end and was also running lean by the looks of it.

This is what I found when I took the sump off

20140421_182023.jpg

20140421_171656.jpg

After crying uncontrollably for a few days I thought I better sort it out, so I done what I know this car loves, spent a wad load if cash on it. This is what I bought, I am still waiting on a few parts to arrive

20140523_141539.jpg

in here we have, a brand new block and pistons, every seal, balanced rods, balanced crank, all new sensors, new leads, lightened pulleys including an extortionately expensive harmonic damping crank pulley from america, build lube, run in oil, engine oil, gear oil, new alternator, new oil pump, new water pump, arp head and rod bolts, all new bearings and filters and some very expensive electronic gauges to monitor the engine. There is probably some other stuff that I got for it but I just cant remember, lol

I then moved on to building up the new engine. I have done everything I can to make sure this is built to a high tolerance. Everything has been sized and greased pre assembly. Here are a few pics of the build so far

20140524_201015.jpg

20140524_205554.jpg

20140524_201029.jpg

20140524_201021.jpg

20140525_150043.jpg

and im afraid thats pretty much as far as I have got at the moment. Im hoping I will have a very strong engine when it is finished. Will update with more photos soon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys, much appreciated. Its been a proper labour of love. Just cant wait to get back home and get it finished now.

I fix nuclear power stations for a living. I do love my job but entails working away for long periods of time doing 11 hours a day, 7 days a week with only 1 weekend off a month. This is why progress has been so slow. I will be home for a few months from mid august though, so im hoping to get her completed then

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

hi Guys

thought i best do an update on this thread as its been so long. So basically i came home 5 weeks ago to have an operation on my shoulder. it has put me out of action for a few weeks but i have still managed to get a lot of work done on the car thanks to some good friends. 

the last time i posted on here i had spun a big end bearing on my freshly built engine :( I had since been out and spent a small fortune on new parts to build a pretty much brand spanking new engine. I was about half way through the engine build when i last left you.

Well i have finally finished building the engine and i am very happy with how it has came out. I managed to do a few things to make it a bit cleaner when i built it this time. Mainly the isv  and pipework as i wasnt happy with the way it was leaking when i pressure tested the inlet. i have since removed the filter pot and gone for red silicone pipework. I am very happy with the outcome

Here are a few pics of the finished engine

20140827_165749.jpg

20140827_165718.jpg

20140827_165759.jpg

20140827_165808.jpg

Once completing the final build on the engine i gave the bay a good clean up in preparation for fitting. Whilst i was in there i thought i would have a go at a MAF relocation as the car wasn't liking coming off WOT to idle, it kept trying to stall itself. I had heard that its because the MAF is to close to the dump valve pipework so moving it further away greatly reduces the chances of stalling the vehicle. i bought some 3" pipe, bends and a holesaw and set about making the pipework. 

This is the result. I am very happy with the outcome, especially because i havent had any idling issues since

20140918_173331.jpg

20140918_173326.jpg

20140921_163518.jpg

Basically i holesawed the passenger side chassis leg so the pipework could come back up through in to the bay. I used 2 90 degree bends and one straight piece to direct the air from the filter to the charger via the underneath of the cross member. It has turned out to be a strong solution to an ongoing problem that i was having.

Next i moved on to the fuel pump setup that i was running. I wasn't 100% happy with the fuel pump cradles so i set about making a new onee. I also replaced the pumps and filter just to be safe. this was the outcome, i think it is a lot better than the first attempt

20140904_165649.jpg

From here i moved on to the engine. Fitting the engine was a doddle, because i have done it so many times. the only problem was this time i had bought a load of new high tech sensors to keep an eye on the engine so i had to fit and wire all of them in. It was a ballache but was so worth it because now i van see everything that the engine is doing. Here are a few pics with the engine fittied and the sensors and control modules being wired in. For anyone that is interested they are plx devices gauges and they are very good. You can link all the modules together and then using the touch screen gauge flick through all the different readings

20140919_163242.jpg

20140921_163542.jpg

The final thing i wanted to do was clean up all the charge cooler pipework. Previously it had been done in a bit of a rush as i could get hold of the parts i wanted. This time round i spent the money on a load of fittings and braided line and set about making it look a lot tidier. It was a massive pain in the arse to get right but i think it makes the bay look so much cleaner. It should also help stop the water getting too warm in the system. I used AN12 fittings and braid so its pretty meaty stuff. heres what it looks like all fitted with the new reservoir

20140921_135720-1.jpg

20140921_163502.jpg

20140921_163518.jpg

Other than that i have just tinkered with a few things trying to make the bay and cockpit a bit tidier aswell as trying to get the run in miles done on the engine. so far i have done just over 200 miles. I am hoping to have the rest of the run in miles done within the week so i can start thrashing it and seeing what this baby can do. If i get a chance i will upload a video of the gauges and one of the car running aswell as any other little bits that i will inevitably do.

Peace out for now!