Anything to look for when buying a Sharan VR6/V6?

I've been moaning for over a year now to SWMBO about missing my VR6.

She's just started learning to drive and we will need a second car for when she passes.

The only car we have at the moment is a 1.9tdi passat. Obviously, the Golf is still a no no. She has said though, that in the next few months......I can have a VR6, albeit, a Sharan. Words cannot describe how chuffed I am.

Obviously, I'm sure some of the regulars that know me will ask why the hell a sharan?. I'm expecting some ribbing.

Are there any owners of the Manual VR6 Sharans on here that could spill the beans on any of their repairs, specific to the Sharan?. Any flaws or things to look out for?.

Cheers :)

Cheers guys.

Be interesting to see what the Sharans are like. I've watched lots of YouTube videos on them. Not exactly quick, but they weigh an extra 300kg so that's fine. Ties in quite well with my daughter on the way, so I can have plenty of room and plenty of noise ;)

They are somewhat different though aren't they?. Cams?

Just needed to know if they suffered with any common faults being an Mpv.

I thought the engine was pretty much the same ? There was a AAA version and an AMY engine code, not sure what AMY actually is :)

I'm sure there are a few things you can do to make up for the extra 30KG in weight...... Perspex windows, throw out some seats etc ;)

Suppose with anything "modern" its going to be the electrics and general mechanical / wear and tear items like ball joints, track rods, bushes etc...

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a VR6 Sharan Automatic today and am quite impressed. I have a modded golf vr6 but I have to say the Sharan was smoother and better than I thought it would be, even managed 26mpg at one point, then I put my foot down and it went down to 24mpg average. They weigh in at 1700kgs I believe but as the seats come out when not in use you can loose a small amount from that. The cams are diiferent from what I have heard. Mine was very cheap so comes with loads of little issues, but nothing that cant be fixed, the biggie for me is the gearbox so if you go for a manual you shoudl have no problems.

• 1 month later...

The engines are slightly different there is extra veins in the cylinder head for extra cooling as they suffer terribly with overheating. I have had a few dea ones through the yard! Worth it though if you need to drive a family bus it may as well be that one.

Thanks for that information d@ver6. :)

Went and looked at a 2001 V6 carat earlier, been sat for a month or more. Covered 98k. 2k price.

Engine was sweet and so was the gearbox. Test drove her and fell in love with the noise and pull.

However, the front had lots of knocks , pulled to the right all the time, 4 ditch finder tyres on 1.6mm and the discs were being eaten by bare pads. Mot runs out next month, tax today.

Offered them my 2005 Passat estate tdi with 125 on the clock as a swap. Told porkies all the way through, made out that my car was worth only 1000 if I was lucky. When I said forget it and went to drive off, suddenly, their boss told them that a swap would be fine and the 3 of them started waving at me frantically as I pulled away.

Passat would get sold between 3.5 - 4k, (i know this) yet they refused to give me any tax, mot or fuel.

Told them not to bother. On the way home, I had a voice mail from the main guy saying he would ring me on Monday after speaking with his boss to sort out a better deal (yeah, right). It would seem they want rid of the car or want a more sellable vehicle, after ignoring the lies and crud they were spewing, it would seem their tactic of trying to get me to beg or be out of pocket, backfired.

I hope they do ring on Monday. Tax, mot and fuel offered, I'd take it. I have 500 to throw at a few suspension components. :D

• 1 year later...

Well, I'm bumping this back up. 

Desperately need a people carrier now. The right ones havn't popped up in what, 2 years nearly. Sprog number four and a vasectomy on the way in June.

I've been doing some more research on the Sharan/Galaxy Mk 1 VR6's.

The mk2 204bhp engines use Duel Mass Flywheels and at a cost per unit of £600, I'm saying NOOOOOOOOO.

The mk1s are aging but they keep popping up for sale near 100k miles at around £900. The AMY codes are the same in power as the AAA engines and I know my way round the engines very well.

The only issue I have is with the age. Older the car, the older the safety ratings. Obviously I don't wish to find out how they fair in an accident with all of us (family), in it.

The other problem is the tight engine bay. Make it harder for F/I without chassis mods.

Either way, I'll be sporting a Sharan soon-ish. 

Unfortunately, there seem to be less mods available. However, I'd buy the SE version and order bits slowly for it.... seats and alloys for example.

Hope to be among you all back at the pod again.  :)

• 4 months later...

Bit of a thread resurrection but did you get a Sharan VR?

I've just collected a 1997 Carat model in white with a manual box for £650. Its got 137k on it but the body is in amazingly good condition and the interior looks more like 60k! Had 12months MOT on it too so worth a risk at that.

I'm already falling in love with it, such a big, strange looking thing but it goes well and is extremely comfy for an 18 year old car.

Should be ideal for towing the Polo VR to the Pod

• 3 weeks later...

Nope.

Still looking. There have been no VR6 sharans for sale for quite some time now.

Baby number 4 is here and has been for a few months. The Mrs keeps babbling on about all sorts of motors, mainly high milage diesel MPVs with a value exceeding that of a golden toilet. My opinion is that the next car/MPV we own, we will own it until it dies, so I'm not throwing this only opportunity away to astronomical milage priced dervs.

I want a mk1 sharan VR6 but there are none anywhere.

There are several overpriced V6 Galaxys out there. One on AT now for 600 over the book price. I suppose I'm being a miser but I don't want to part with money/reliable car on a snotter with a high price tag and a crud P/X.

Checked out VR6 sharan on YT. That noise. :D

• 1 month later...

Took long enough.

Last week, well the Friday prior to that, I spotted a new V6 up for sale. Calls were made strait away and questions asked. Car sounded good.

Drove 2 bazillion miles to Leicester on the Monday as soon as the trader opened his doors. Looked around her. She has a squashed rear N/S sill that I actually missed whilst probing her deepest darkest areas, no idea how I missed it though.

Took her for a test drive. Whilst leaving the garage, she started a slight pull to the left but I put a 50/50 chance on a sticky handbrake. Chap took me to a duel carriageway as the engine had reached operating temperature and said "go on then, floor her". Second gear at 25 all the way up to 60. I couldn't contain the smirk breaking through and the giggle that burst forth, reminded the guy of Alvin and the chipmunks, cheers "Dave" said I.

Anyway, I paid and took the keys to my Ford Galaxy V6 GHIA, yes, that's correct, I said FORD. Drove home and played on the way with the rev range. 

She is an AYL engine sat at 79,000 miles. She has a clean and almost immaculate interior. The engine had the chains, guides and tensioners all changed at 75k. She was looked after very well by the previous owner. Spent £££'s and sometimes over 1k.

Gone over her thoroughly today and yesterday and have a large list of items needing attention, including a couple of upgrades. 

* Clutch and DMF, soon-ish.

* Wishbones/balljoints

* New shocks and G max 35mm lowering springs

* New anti roll bar bushes

* New track rod ends

* New cat back exhaust

* Possibly a new intake filter

* New double din unit and fascia to replace the factory cassette 1.5 din rubbish.

* New coolant this week to replace the old/lost coolant from several coolant pipe replacements that are about to begin.

* Four new good quality tyres.

Also looking soon at re directing the intake pipe. The intake pipe from the filter to the throttle body runs across the middle of the inlet manifold and curves around at the top of the engine. So the air effectively heat soaks 3 times. Once from the filter, once down the inlet and again inside the short and long runners of the cylinder head. May not work but it gives me some messing around time. 

I know of STYLIN. He bought the MK1 he owns a few months after I bought the last Passat. I have not spoke to him.

Modding isn't really going to happen with this bus.

She'll get an exhaust from MIJ, filter and lowered by about 35mm but nothing else really because there isn't anything on the market.

• 6 years later...

Hello all, new here, just bought a galaxy 2004 vr6 AYL, pulls amazing and so much fun, only issue is the scrappy i bought it off cut off the end of the downpipe to get the cat and now i cannot find the twin downpipe anywhere!

Anybody know of any aftermarket ones that might work? or if the mk1 AAA galaxy downpipe will work?

Thanks