getting my engine bay smartened up

While most of my engine is out, I am spending a little time cleaning all the gunk and crud from all the nooks and crannies. I have wafted some wet & dry over the manifold, the next thing is these covers (see pic)...

When I got the car it had this brown stain all over everything, I don't know what it was from, but is has coated loads of stuff in the engine bay. Maybe spilled oil that has set solid.

It will scrape off with a blade but takes forever, I managed to get one side of the HT Lead covers looking ok and black again with some wet n dry and T-cut.

I would like to get the VR6 -DOHC looking good again. I tried scraping off the brown, but now it looks worse - all scratched.

Any tips on this, I'm not brilliant with a spray can.

1364171198_12323_FT0_297465_10150335937911158_2029417602_n.jpg

To be honest mate as long as you don't lacquer it you should get a good finish with some rattle cans. I painted the plastics on my last Vr engine.

Just scratch it up with some wet and dry, plastic primer them and then just blast it in what ever colour you want. If it doesn't turn out well then just let it dry, sand it off and start again!

Get to halfords ;) it will look 100 times better if you do this.

Hi mate,

I had loads of that stuff over the engine bay of my old MK3 VR6 too, cam cover, plastics, coilpack, HT leads..... I think VW use it on coilpack as an epoxy resin sort of thing, you'll never get it off :(

Looks like someone has really gone to town on yours :) Probably would be easier to get new plastics in all honestly.