VR6 Remapping? Is it worthwhile?

I honestly don't know - mine was replaced long before I owned the motor, with one from Milltek. I had just assumed that it needed uprated on that basis (and that it's a very common mod). Quite a common first mod as well, I believe - but that might be more cosmetic / acoustic than anything performance-related. Vr(6)oooooom!

I wouldn't expect many people to still be cutting about with the original after all this time, but maybe I'm wrong...?

There's still plenty standard exhausts out there, and of course on cars that are kept standard. I knew exhausts (and air intake) are common first mods on vr6s but not sure though if there is much improvement other than sound with a new exhaust. I've noticed too milltek is a very popular choice. I've owned my vr since beginning of August and it was completely standard when I got it. Wanting to do it up but trying to work out exactly what I want to do first. So far all I've done is replace the number plates and fit holders and got new wheels which will go on complete with new tyres after the winter.

In my honest opinion its not an advisable thing to do at the minute nor is it worth it. Start with a filter then a decent exhaust. Even at this stage I wouldn't consider a remap. The reason being the next sensible mod to go for is either some tasty cams which can cause a lumpy idle depending on what type you get or forced induction and these two mods will definitely benefit from a remap. This is just my view....

Although if you can bolt on an exhaust and air filter then get a remap and hit 191BHP that is some nice figures naturally aspirated.... Throw a shrick manifold on that baby and watch the drive completely change!

The VR6 can be made to feel less sluggardly low down by combining good cams (such as the 263s) and a heap more ignition advance in the light throttle areas. The latter is VERY low (for a mild 10:1 compression engine) in the standard map.

As for exhausts, certainly the Corrado's stock system is very good.

I remember some years ago pulling off my standard system (still leak and rot free after 12 years) and fitting a SuperSprint in it's place. As a bog standard car, it made 199hp and 190 torques. With the Supersprint, it *lost* 3hp.

Maybe it's just the Golf's exhaust which isn't all that as people do seem to find a few ponies after binning it?

i would just chuck the standard golf exhaust and get a raceland 6-1 branch and a miltek/remuse/supersprint catback with a decat and centre box delete, then get either a k&n filtre or BMC CDA system then look into the remap to get the best out of the mods because on there own they dont gain might even lose without the re-mapping. but the guys are right cams are a must and the final drive in the gearbox with make it better. if you want even turbo or supercharge it :)

In terms of BHP per £££, forced induction is going to give better value for money as long as you can do a slum-dog turbo conversion. That's my theory at least.

My reasoning is that cams and a Schrick manifold are expensive pieces of kit, and with those installed (and a re-map) your N/A car is likely to get about 210 - 220 bhp max. (correct me if I'm wrong).

A cheap-ass turbo conversion where you do all the labour is going to cost about a grand (no more, I hope!), however you probably wouldn't go to all the trouble of a turbo conversion to only put out 220bhp! My personal aim is a modest 250bhp from a spartan turbo setup. Therefore, if you're spending almost a grand on fancy cams and manifolds etc., you may as well turbo the thing - In my humble opinion, of course (I'm sure this is open to debate). This is basically my plan for my relatively-standard Golf Mk.3

... so what we appear to be saying is; apart from the new exhaust, air intake, cams, manifold, final drive and some form of forced induction, just leave your car as standard! :-)

• 1 month later...

Obd2s generally kick out 185/190 bhp any way,most vr6s I've seen hav always been more than the quoted 174! As for turbos I carried one out on a highline for my cousin that made 268 without a map,he later broke the car due to the dreaded rot,I know have the kit in the garage waiting to go on mine.