Why is the Corrado raved about, and the Golf less so in terms of handling prowess ?

Surely the mk3 is a later design than the mk2/Passat based C, thus should handle at least as well ?

I have only driven a Corrado briefly, and that was years ago...so cannot really comment.

Is it simply the lower Centre of Gravity ? Both have a heavy iron blocked lump out front and weigh about the same....but to me the Golf obviously rather nose lead and soft...neither of mine have enjoyed the corners very much (std suspension)

Do they have fundamentally the same suspension setup ?

Next q would be how best to improve the Golf on a budget, without ruining the ride...but will do a search first ;-)

there is really no contest in standard form -the corrado wins hands down. I had a 16v with standard suspension and it handled amazingly, very assured and confidence inspiring!!

my vr however is a different story -the standard ride pretty much sucks ass. I can't comment on what can be done about that as I've only breifly been in a sorted one, and it wasn't been driven to its potential at the time.

If i remember rightly the corrado has mk2 gti set-up at the front and a passat rear set-up and it just works very well.

as for what to go for on a budget - koni/eibach seems to be favoured, but there are plenty on here who know better......

the reason is....the golf vr6 was designed as a autbahn cruiser, the 'rado vr6 as a sport coupe. so the emphasis was on ride quality on the golf, and driving enjoyment on the 'rado.

from what i hear, a vr with a susp kit handles very similar to a standard 'rado....however, this comes at the cost of ride quality. i can tell you that my vr6 handles incredibly, but does not ride bumps well at all....its on bilstein sprintline.

reason i went for the golf was the interior space and moderness....'rado feels more like mkII to me. oh...and i couldn't quite stretch to a 'rado vr (could only get sheddy one), and didn't want the g60.

thats debateable though....different people have different opinions on it. i still think thats too harsh, but others (like yourself i presume) like a firm ride.

only thing to do is go for a ride in various equipt cars and make up your own mind.

The Corrado handling is definately better, you have to be really, really pushing your luck to get into problems, even then its incredibly forgiving and corners with a composure that I've never experienced in a Golf. You can make a Golf handle well...at the expense of ride quality though. My thoughts have always been that the Golf is a fantastic all-round car but far more of a compromise than the Corrado which really feels like its built for driving pleasure. You are correct about the general build quality though, the Golf is better screwed together and has a much more modern feel to it. I find the few rattles in the Corrado are more than compensated for by the way it drives.

Shame that the C was hand built by Karmann (a friend has one and says they tend to have bits drop off / rattle a lot etc)...my 10yr old Golf really does feel bulletproof, as did the last one I had, I cannot stand squeaks and rattles !

Also hard to find one with a/c....another essential in my book. The Golf has just enough toys without going daft.

Otherwise I think I'd have a C...must try one anyhow...but a shame that VW stopped making them so early and never replaced it...but that's another story.

i love my golfs handling its very chuckable iv never been in a rado so cant compare

but id love the lower ratio box from a rado the gearing kills a golf

thats european and us 'rados only....uk box is same ratios as golf.

heres a thought...has anyone ever thought of putting ;rado vr6 o.e. susp on the golf? would it fit? would it handle better? interesting.

i love my golfs handling its very chuckable iv never been in a rado so cant compare

but id love the lower ratio box from a rado the gearing kills a golf

thats european and us 'rados only....uk box is same ratios as golf.

heres a thought...has anyone ever thought of putting ;rado vr6 o.e. susp on the golf? would it fit? would it handle better? interesting.

try it u know u want to ;)

• 6 months later...

I must admit, when i first got my rado the stock suspension was awful. But that was 10 years old stuff.

But now i've fitted the suspension it handles like a dream. And the ride is nice, firmed up a little but just about right.

I've only driven a golf a few times so can't really comment but the only thing i remember is that that seating position is really high. Still, might just be me.

The Corrado's handling is largely down to the different camber and castor angles it uses compared to the MK3 and also track correcting rear axle bushes. I'm not sure if the MK3 VR6 got the latter but the part numbers seem to be the same as the Corrado ones. Who knows with VW?

Another thing the C has in it's favour is lower centre of gravity as mentioned earlier. All the dead mass is lower, and that includes the occupants ;-)

A MK3 can be made to handle as well as a Corrado easily....just fit decent suspension, a fat rear ARB and 1.2 degrees negative camber.

Toe in on the front wheels greatly improves turn in and gives more grip in the corner, it does make the steering at higher speeds very twitchy though and will increase tyre wear.

Apparently in a fwd car it will also give more grip on standing starts as the wheels will be pulling forward and flexing the bushes so they will both be pointing closer to straight ahead wheras with neutral toe on a standing start the wheels will have a tendency to toe in.

Mine is set to -1.2 neg camber and +0.05 toe out. Didn't want any more than that as I use 17" F1s or SO3s and they're not cheap!

I'd also recommend vibratech mounts all round and vibratech rear wishbone bushes. Good handling is aided by keeping the engine as still as possible and also reducing wishbone lateral movement.

Toe in on the front wheels greatly improves turn in and gives more grip in the corner' date=' it does make the steering at higher speeds very twitchy though and will increase tyre wear.

Apparently in a fwd car it will also give more grip on standing starts as the wheels will be pulling forward and flexing the bushes so they will both be pointing closer to straight ahead wheras with neutral toe on a standing start the wheels will have a tendency to toe in.

[/quote']

u mean toe out??