Pulled some fault codes (ABS related)......

So, today I acquired VAGCOM and did a scan. I'm pleased to discover the car was nice and healthy apart from the following:

Address 03 -------------------------------------------------------

Controller: 3A0 907 379 E

Component: ABS/EDS ITTAE 20 GI V00

Coding: 03704

Shop #: WSC 00000

9 Faults Found:

00283 - Front Left ABS Wheel Speed Sensor (G47)

35-00 - -

00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Front Right (G45)

35-00 - -

01276 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64)

16-00 - Signal Outside Specifications

00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Rear Left (G46)

35-00 - -

04-10 - Mechanical Malfunction - Intermittent

00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Rear Left (G46)

16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent

00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Rear Right (G44)

35-10 - - - Intermittent

00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Rear Right (G44)

00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30

Now, this doesn't come as a great surprise to me, as one of the previous owners has removed the ABS light altogether, so I thought something might be up. Aside from testing/cleaning/replacing the speed sensors, what else do I need to do?

Also, where are the speed sensors located? On my e46 they were located in the hubs and were an arse to get out without snapping!

I'm not happy to just leave the ABS bulb out, I'd rather identify the problem and fix it properly!

Fronts are in with one bolt, then the backs the same but unplugs from under the rear seats. Really simple to get too. And Craggsy that module seems to be fine it said rear right so I swapped plugs over and it moved to rear left. New ones ordered. :)

Fronts are in with one bolt' date=' then the backs the same but unplugs from under the rear seats. Really simple to get too. And Craggsy that module seems to be fine it said rear right so I swapped plugs over and it moved to rear left. New ones ordered. :)

[/quote']

Cool glad ya got it sorted

Well, I cleared the faults down, which only left three (there are only two shown below, I forgot to copy the codes before I fixed and cleared them again):

Control Module Part Number: 3A0 907 379 E

Component and/or Version: ABS/EDS ITTAE 20 GI V00

Software Coding: 03704

Work Shop Code: WSC 00000

2 Faults Found:

35-00 - -

01276 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64)

16-00 - Signal Outside Specifications

So, I took the front wheels off to have a look at the sensors. I wasn't surprised to find that Stevie Wonder had also had a go at the wiring on these (no jokes, the wiring on this car has to be seen to be believed). The front left sensor had both wires cut in half, then fixed with crimp tube connectors. Except, Stevie had forgotten to crimp one end of the connectors so the wires just fell out and did nothing. Not only that but the wires were looking pretty worn anyway, so I cut the whole lot out and soldered new wire in with some heatshrink tubing to insulate it.

The front right was a similar story, except that these wires had just been worn away (possibly from rubbing on the wheel as they weren't located in the little holders properly). Again, I cut them out and re-wired them properly.

After this I went for a drive and performed a couple of brake checks at around 40 mph (I made sure there was nobody behind me :)). I found it was actually REALLY hard to make the wheels lock up, but they did. Got home, plugged vag com in and got the two error codes at the top of the page, which some googling has suggested could be a faulty ABS ECU and sensor.

TBH the repairs I've done today are only temporary, so I'll probably end up replacing all the sensors and the ECU anyway. This car has so many little niggles but I LOVE it lol.