Car : 1997 Golf VR6 OBDII

Problem : Replacing "Crackpipe" or plastic pipe which comes accross the front of the engine from the waterpump to the TStat.

Dear all,

I recently found a monumental coolant leak from the oil cooler hose from the "crack pipe". After prodding around, I managed to snap the hose tail from the crackpipe :(. So I now need to replace both the crackpipe and the small hose from this pipe to the oil cooler.

I have trawled lots of forums (most of which seem to be American) to find out the best way to do it but cannot get to a logical answer which everyone seems to agree with.

So ... can anyone lend me a hand, or point in the right direction.

I have heard that removing the intake mani is sufficient, others say that you need to remove the whole front end, others say you need to take out the rad and the fan system to gain access.

Please can you lend a fellow VR6er a hand!

Thank you in advance.

Jamie

Remove inlet manifold

Remove stat housing

Replace with new pipe and O rings

Easy Enough job m8

Ps clean up the water pump side orifice before fitting the new pipe or it may weep

pps

heres the bugger

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COOLANT-PIPE-NEW-VR6-GOLF-MK3-CORRADO-VENTO-PASSAT-TRANSPORTER-T4-2004-/390412277323?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ae662964b

Personally ,seeing as you have to completely empty the cooling system, I would take off the front end. Its easy enough, 4 bolts and whole front end comes off ,not including coolant hoses tho, unless you have aircon/climate control then take inlet off and do it that way

Agree 100% with Craig, I tried to do mine with front end uin place, looked perfect, however I didn't / couldn't see that the o ring water pump side had slid out, so after pouring half a gallon of anti freeze in the bottle, it swiftly got wasted all on the floor.

As for the fitting, simple enough to do, but the problem is trying to get the water pump side in without and problems.

Also, I presure by flicking through some of the forums, you're aware of the Stainless Steel Crack Pipe replacement. I would tell anyone to get one, you'll never need to replace it again. They are a little more to buy, but the way I see it is if the plastic can go brittle and crack before, a plastic one will go brittle and crack again.

Thank you guys for your replies. I think front end off seems to be the best way to do it. It surely cannot be 4 bolts and hey presto the front end falls off! I do not have aircon, is there a guide on here for removing the front end?

Pretty simple really.

Grill pops out with the retaining clips across the front, and 2 hidden ones under the lights.

Bumper, remove the 2 clips each side that fix the arch lining to bumper.. try not to loose the plastic inserts as you poke then through.. then there's the 3 10mm bolts you can see from above after removing the grill. There's also 4 or 5 more underneath facing upwards, where the radiator cut out is, and 1 in each little vent thing in the lower bumper.

It'll pull forwards, so unplug fog lights and indicators.

Then you have a metal bar, remove the 2 x 10mm bolts that secure the metal bar to the radiator mounting panel, then the 2 13mm bolts that attach the metal bar to the chassis.

Then just 2 10mm bolts on the top of the plastic panel, where the bolts are for the front wings really. Then its off.

Not the best description lol but dead simple when you do it.

It really is that easy

P1000579.jpg

I would echo everyone else, do it right and do it once. Get a metal crack pipe, a smear of silicone grease on o-rings and a bead of coolant resistant sealant on mating surfaces. With the front off it was actually an enjoyable job.

Pretty simple really.

Grill pops out with the retaining clips across the front' date=' and 2 hidden ones under the lights.

Bumper, remove the 2 clips each side that fix the arch lining to bumper.. try not to loose the plastic inserts as you poke then through.. then there's the 3 10mm bolts you can see from above after removing the grill. There's also 4 or 5 more underneath facing upwards, where the radiator cut out is, and 1 in each little vent thing in the lower bumper.

It'll pull forwards, so unplug fog lights and indicators.

Then you have a metal bar, remove the 2 x 10mm bolts that secure the metal bar to the radiator mounting panel, then the 2 13mm bolts that attach the metal bar to the chassis.

Then just 2 10mm bolts on the top of the plastic panel, where the bolts are for the front wings really. Then its off.

Not the best description lol but dead simple when you do it.

[/quote']

I think its even simpler and less bolts to remove than you put mate. You need to disconnect the bonnet release cable too, but that just hooks through the catch

It really is that easy

P1000579.jpg

Haha reminds me of when my mom and dad came back off holiday with my front end in the living room looking like a fireplace surround!

ha the looks i got with that in the front garden with the front-less car looking like it had been in a smash next to it when people drove past lol

Easiest way just undo the bolts that hold bumper iron on with bumper still attached as Lukey says. Bonnet release is on the drivers side wing so thats easy.

You can see the holes on Lukeys pic next to fog light where you can undo the bolts, saves faffing around with taking bumper off first

Fantastic, cheers guys, I am going to attack it this weekend/this evening. Just to clarify the "easy method", after disconnecting everything which sensibly needs to be disconnected, the 4 bolts behind the fogs will allow the whole front end to lifted out, or is there more too it than that.

Easy method, 4 13mm bolts behind lights, and 2 10mm bolts at the top where the plastic panel meets the wings almost. You'll see the 2 black bolts. Bonnet catch is self explanatory when you get to it, then its just pipes and wires.

Oh and those wheel arch clips. Just poke a screwdriver through the middle.

Oki doki, Think I am all set. I will have a good go at it tonight then. The parts are not arriving 'till Monday but that will give me enough time to get the old parts off!

If i remember (and can find my camera) I will try and make a thread on it, may be useful for someone else.

Jamie

Right, front end off thermostat off and pipe out, once the front was off, it was actually fairly straight forward. only casualty so far is a fog light clipped which I snapped off. Little worried about many connectors I took off but I am sure I will be able to find their homes. New parts arriving Monday the reconstruction will commence shortly after.

In the end I went for the OEM plastic. I thought that the previous one (unless genuine replacement) had lasted for 15 years, then another plastic one would last me for the duration of my ownership ... and it was only £15.

I am trying to find the gasket 021 121 119 A which is the TStat housing to the block, but i cannot seem to find it at the usual UK outlets.

Monday could be either a huge success of failure, fingers crossed I manage to get the replacements all in OK!