anyone got a picture of 6 branch heatwrapped?

Hope you got gloves on ;) don't notice while you're doing it, but feck me you'll be itchy later lol.

Haven't got a pic, but as a tip, I wrap my stuff wet, I put the reel in a shallow bucket of water.. makes it tighter on the metal, can pull it easier and find it easier to work with, and just dries out the same.

Hope you got gloves on ;) don't notice while you're doing it' date=' but feck me you'll be itchy later lol.

Haven't got a pic, but as a tip, I wrap my stuff wet, I put the reel in a shallow bucket of water.. makes it tighter on the metal, can pull it easier and find it easier to work with, and just dries out the same.

[/quote']

its a pain in the arse so far to wrap!

As a bit of a caution as I can see side cutters in the picture... DO NOT cut the metal cable ties as you go along.. found this out myself, put hand round back of pipe to feel for heat wrap, and there was a sharp bit there, naturally I snatched my hand back and cought the super sharp point of a metal tie that I had already cut.

So unless you want stitches across all 4 fingers right on the bends and blood all over the exhaust, leave em till the end ;)

Think the camera is making the stainless cable ties look like gaps mate.. but yea agree with the 50% overlap, makes in nice and easy with the wider heat wrap

Just noticed in the pic too you have no gloves on :o

Hope you haven't itched your face, or arms, or worse been to the toilet!! Itchy night ahead if you have lol

Here is a guide a mate of mine wrote and some info about heat wrap. enjoy

Always Use the best possible heat wrap you can afford and if its done properly it lasts for years.

Guide to heat wrapping.

I have used all the heat wraps I have come across over many years but so far I am settled on DEI wrap because the thermal properties are as good as anything else I have found and better than most. It also has good service life when properly applied. It is close weave so there are no holes when streached. It has a stitch down each side to act as a guide to overlap so it is easy to use and because there is less excessive wrapping, more economical in use.

Heat wrapping is not difficult if you follow these instructions but you cannot expect to achieve a professional standard on your first heat wrap operation unless you follow these instructions carefully.

Because of the cost of heat wrap ties I only use stainless steel tie wire and generally the more ties the better the job.

To use tie wire it is best to have a set of tie wire pliers/ lock wire pliers which makes twisting the tie wire that much easier.

As a rule of thumb I run a length of wrap along the component to be wrapped and then measure off X 6. This works quite well on downpipes, tubular header runners, uppipes and so forth. On a straight length I multiply by 5.

Following the stitch overlap is important to get the best economy of wrap material but check regularly to avoid skips/bare patches on sections you cannot see. Avoid over wrapping. There is nothing to gain and it is wasteful. Following the stitching on the inside of tight bends is not possible.

The wrap should be applied damp but not wet. There are chemicals in the wrap to help it bind and these should not be diluted out. You can use a house plant leaf sprayer or any other water aerosol/spray to dampen the wrap or set a sink tap to a very fine trickle and run the wrap through the trickle quite quickly. In a few minutes the water will have spread evenly throughout the weave. Do not let the impregnated chemicals run out. Keep away from foodstuff.

Wrap from the bottom to the top with the appropriate overlay.

Keep the wrap as tight as possible.

If you want to change direction that is easily achieved by turning the wrap over through 180 degrees. This is useful where there is a change of diameter for instance and helps keep the wrap tight.

Remember that the wrap on the outside of a bend requires more material and therefore the corresponding inside of the bend will have big overlaps and on a tight bend this can be almost 100%.

Do not cut the wrap in to short lengths but try to apply in continuous lengths and certainly 15 feet at a time. Wrapping a section with a single length of wrap results in a neater job.

Tie at the end and then every 3 inches but on curves or corners you can increase the number of ties.

The tie must be applied while the wrap is still damp.

Cut off any strands and loose ends.

When put on the car first there will be a lot of moisture released from the wrap. Do not be alarmed.

On damp and humid days the wrap will absorb moisture so again there will be a lot of steam.

It is quite normal for the wrap to smell for three weeks after applying as it dries through thoroughly.

Wrapped properly it can last for years.

Happy wrapping.