Intermittant starting problems - usually after after a couple of hours of mway driving

Hi,

Having had my trusty VR6 Highline for over 12 yrs, just before Christmas and since have a pesky intermittent starting problem. It happens when coming to start the car after stopping at m/way services after a couple hours of driving.

The starter does it stuff but the engine doesn't fire. Waiting about 10 - 15 minutes and then the engine starts (not sure if it is the wait which solves it, or the imminent arrival of the AA, who have just been called!)

Have read a number of posts on similar issues experienced by other drivers, wondering if anyone has had the same problem and found a solution.

Appreciate thoughts and comments.

I'd say crank sensor. One of my old ones did exactly the same. I have one knocking about you could have tried if you were closer. I'd get it on vagcom first but if you do decide to buy a new crank sensor make sure its a genuine one.

I'd say crank sensor. One of my old ones did exactly the same. I have one knocking about you could have tried if you were closer. I'd get it on vagcom first but if you do decide to buy a new crank sensor make sure its a genuine one.

Why does everyone bang on about genuine crank sensors? I changed mine whilst trying to eliminate a miss fire. Mines s non gen gsf one. I've had no issues of any sort with it so far.......

+1 for crank sensor, had the same on my old VR, to begin with just wouldnt start sometimes when hot then eventually started cutting out on me. Replaced a good few parts befor i got to the crank sensor, HT leads, temp sensor, etc. Right nightmare of a fault as your never sure its fixed till it breaks down again :( Had a few embarrassing breakdowns in mine before i got it fixed.