Non starting VR6 after battery replacement

My car was running fine, then due to being unused for a while the battery went flat. I jumped started it and run round in it for a day and it was fine.

To make sure the battery had a decent charge in it, I removed it and gave it a good charge. When I put the battery back on it wouldn't start... It turns over fine but wont fire up.

I checked the fuel pump relay and fuse and they're fine.

An auto-electrician has looked at it and was convinced it was the transponder reader. He's replaced that and it's still not right.

If the battery is disconnected then reconnected it will start. If you turn it off then try again it just turns over and wont start.

The auto-electrician now suspects that my ECU has had it, but I don't want to shell out on one without being certain it will resolve the problem.

Has anybody else seen anything similar? F@*%ing thing's driving me mad!

you can check if its the immobiliser thats lost its code by disconnecting battery for 15 mins it should start one time and run if it is ,as immobiliser is reset after 15mins and locked on engine shut down , mine did the same i had to take it to vw to reset the code in immobiliser the code reader i had wouldnt do it only the vw one could reset it