Ive been thinking about doing the same thing, car body filler is ok to use- thats what a bodysop would use cos its only a thin line. A friend whos really good with bodywork stuf told me that id need to drill holes along the indented lip though, so when you fill it the filler plugs up into the holes so you make it stick and stop it from cracking when it flexes....

yeah, if your smothing the swage line alont the bumper id get some elasticiser mixed into the filler, as it will help it flex and not crack, and if you want to fill the indicators/fogs, id have a go at making some kind of metal blank plate to rivet on, then use fibreglass to fill it out, then a skim of filler to smooth it over. then a good few layers of primer and a lot of correctional sanding. then paint.

bit if you went to a professional body shop, they may have a go at plastic welding the line and a plastic plate into the indicator/fog recess, then a coa of filler, as this would be a lot neater and stronger.

[ Edited Sun Mar 20 2005, 10:45AM ]

I am just smoothing out the lines, goonna be getting some smooth bumpers from a scrappy so I dont have to rub down the plastic first, and i can work on them off the car. A good bit of advice about the drilling, wouldnt have thought of that!

i have a pair of brand new,detextured,primered bumpers for a k.3 golf ready to be sold on due to a change of plans. not vw but excellent quality either way. looking for around 80 tokens the pair, still wrapped! save havint to repair and rub down any s;h bumpers you find!

well just for info, i called paynes for a quote on a few things, and for front bumpers completely smoothed, £450, and rear bumper with number plate recess, £280. so i think ill do it myself, lol. also got quotes for a few other things like flared arches, between £100- 300 per corner, and audi A6 handles £650 a pair. so im not too happy now as im gonna have to have a go myself.

so you're looking at 1800 tokens min just for arch flaring,a6 handles, smooth bumpers? and that is without the rest of the car being touched? seems alot to me, i know he's good there, but christ, i know of bodyshops that will do as good a job round my way for less! a featured name, is apparently, worth its weight in gold!