Well the car failed it's MOT today....

Apparently the front wheels were put on the wrong way as the tyres are directional..NOT by me I might add, second the handbrake cable is shot, needs a newun, Third the nearside sidelight is poor...might have something to do with cracked lens and water ingress...not bad so far.......Fourth...emissions failed....this is the problem now....despite what we tried, the emissions just wouldn't come down....not sure what to do now.......

Like above.... there are a few options to look at. Cheaper to more expensive as always.

All filter changes and cleaned

check/change Oil

check/change Plugs

check/change Lambda

and a good thrash and a sustained steady run on a motorway at normal motorway speed for 30mins or so to clean out the pipes systems etc (on decent fuel)

Then kick - sorry look at the CAT and injector cleaning.

After that........

Get a loan and charge/turbo it or purchase an R32. (mine ran very low emmissions once F.I.)

:D

Bottle of red x injector cleaner and a good blast ;) loads of cars fail at my place on CO, I'd imagine that if this was the case, expect to see a CO reading of between 0.5 and 1.0, normally it won't take long to get it under the 0.2 limit.

Get them to hold the revs up at 4k if its still failing to get the cat super hot, then when it drops into the green, drop the revs to between the 2.5k and 3k limits. Works 9/10 times from my experience

What were the readouts on the emmissions printout, can usually get a good idea from that whats up?

CO reading up to about 0.8 or 0.9 % is usually a nakered cat, can sometimes be fixed as above with some fuel additive an a good thrash.

Anything above that an more likley a 02 sensor or MAF or plugs etc.

If it failed on the lambda reading its usually just a small leak in the exhaust somewhere.

Have a look on the printout and post up the readouts.

• 3 months later...

What were the readouts on the emmissions printout' date=' can usually get a good idea from that whats up?

CO reading up to about 0.8 or 0.9 % is usually a nakered cat, can sometimes be fixed as above with some fuel additive an a good thrash.

Anything above that an more likley a 02 sensor or MAF or plugs etc.

If it failed on the lambda reading its usually just a small leak in the exhaust somewhere.

Have a look on the printout and post up the readouts.

[/quote']

my vr6 is 0.80 co with a de-cat if that sounds right??