Hi all,

just got a charger for my car which came with a remapped ECU. Also got the immo black box and a chip from the key, so I've got the whole system. My question is, do I really need to swap the black box too - ie is it 'hard-wired' to only accept the original chip from the key. I've got VAGCOM and know that a new ECU can be 'introduced' to the system using the Immobilizer Group.

It would help a lot if I don't have to swap the box - it's a MK2 conversion, done by previous owner and I can't see the box anywhere obvious - ie behind carpets, by centre console, behind dash etc. Don't really want to have to take out the dash unless ABSOLUTELY necessary!

The engine is a '96 OBD2 and the new ECU is from a '98.

Cheers if anyone knows!

ECU Swapping

Prerequisites:

Battery voltage at least 12.0 V.

[select]

[25 - Immobilizer]

WHEN YOU READ THIS WITH VAGCOM. YOUR LOOKING FOR A 5 DIGIT NUMBER , DISPLAYED LIKE THIS

CODING: 09600 . WHEN YOU LOGIN, USE THAT CODE! 09600 IS WHAT MINE SAID, YOURS MAY BE DIFFERENT!

[Login - 11]

*TYPE YOUR CODING NUMBER THAT YOU GAINED FROM THE ABOVE STEP*

[OK]

VAG-COM will validate the data you have entered and return you to the Login screen, where the Login Code will show as "XXXXX".

[Do it!]

[Adaptation - 10]

Channel 000

[Read]

[save]

[Done, Go Back]

[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

Switch OFF the ignition and after 5 seconds switch it ON again.

Make sure NOT to start the car within the next 2 minutes. After that, try starting the engine.

hope this helps :)