After much thought the vr is no more. After getting it resprayed last year I came to the decision that doing 12thousand miles a year in a 15 year old car was far from practical. I was so paranoid about rust I was jet washing it 2/3 times a week during the last snowy period. Here's a pic anyway

IMAG0256.jpg

So I recently came to the decision I needed something newer and it was between a 02/03 plate wrx or a 4mo. The scooby's were nice but didn't see them as much of a challenge and too shouty to look at so I went and picked this up today with 60k on the clock :-d

IMAG0261.jpg

Heard this mod adds atleast 10hp

IMAG0259.jpg

Took the 4mo and v6 badges off as I like the idea of it looking like a sensible 5 door mk4. Have to admit it doesn't sound as raw as the mk3 but can't wait to start unlocking the bags of potential this car has. Got a good idea of what direction I want to take this car in. If i can stop it from looking like a lot of modified mk4's I see kicking around my way (you know the ones) I know im on the right track.

• 1 year later...

Haven't updated in ages! The last 14 months of ownership I haven't had funds to do what I want to the car. Instead just been maintaining her with everything she needs. So far in 14 months it's had:

2 services including haldex filter and oil

New rear discs and pads

4 new Avon zv5's all round

2 new front wishbones

C.v boot kit.

I've had the bonnet and front bumper resprayed so no stone chips on the front and now and had the rear bumper done aswell as it had quite a bad scuff.

Just finished my apprenticeship now and have more money now, so I'm starting to buy things. Picked up a bmc this week to kick things off!

20130111_195545_zps38164c89.jpg

Got this fitted now but still need to figure out what to do with the cold air feed as it doesn't quite fit with the bmc in place.

Picked up a milltek non res cat back today. Wasn't keen on the custom exhaust I had made so decided to go with the milltek option.

20130118_165253_zpsecb70a65.jpg

20130118_180441_zps4e8ca263.jpg

Car is booked in to get a decat fabricated and fitted next Wednesday. Been quoted 120 for the job which I thought was reasonable considering how difficult it is to

Source an off the shelf item for the 4mo.

Got it booked into stealth this friday to get a remap done for the new parts and cancel the management light should it come on after the decat. I'll post up the rolling road figures when it's all done.

Couple pictures of the bmc and milltek in place. Managed to squeeze the cold air feed in to where the old snorkel was fitted by the headlight.

20130125_144110_zpsb0564134.jpg

20130125_144139_zps5af32c2b.jpg

Decat was fabricated and fitted on Wednesday so its now a full stainless system from the exhaust manifold onwards.

Just got back from stealth today after getting a remap. Vince cleared the fault for the decat and also raised the limiter to 7100rpm.

After a handful of runs and some tweaking, the car saw 225bhp at the flywheel. Vince also ironed out a flat spot that came in at the top end.

20130125_145036_zps63d86b83.jpg

Already got some weitec coilovers for the car, just getting funds together for some wheels.

• 2 months later...

New wheels ordered today! 2/3 week lead time as they are made to order at the moment and the design has literally only just been re-released as new alloy wheel for purchase..absolute nightmare as a couple websites "claim" to sell them in the size I want but ended up getting them from a well respected ford tuning company :-)

Good figures there mate. Bet it drives totally different now :)

It goes nicely, and the noise it's making when I take it to 7000rpm with the miltek, decat and bmc is unreal..just reminds me why I stuck with the "V" engine. Driven my mates standard r32 and dont think there was any real noticeble difference.

Once my wheels arrive and I've fitted my weitec's I'll start collecting turbo bits and do a few "odd jobs" on the interior/exterior.

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing as all my discs and pads were shot...I took advantage of the nice weather today and went ahead and fitted new discs and pads all round. I went for pagid discs with "yellowstuff" pads. I was looking at big brake kit options but would rather spend the money on other bits for the time being as I don't intend on tracking the car or anything. Doing a brake fluid change tomorrow and fitting o.e.m spark plugs I bought a few weeks back.

20130420_121847.jpg

20130420_143628.jpg

Still waiting on the call for when my new wheels are ready so I can crack on with fitting them and finally put the weitec's on.

• 2 weeks later...

Payday treat! Been wanting a double din stereo for a while so picked up this Alpine today. Square buttons...very nineties interior :-d .

Anyone got any tips to remove the c.d changer in the mk4's? Haven't had a good look yet.

20130430_195913-1.jpg

More goodies to follow over the next couple weeks :-d

I bought a 4 mo to tide me over for the few weeks my MK3 VR was getting repainted. Just wondering how you find the comparison? I much prefer my mk3 if I am honest the power is delivered completely differently. The 4mo is a little more refined imho.

I think out the box the 4mo is a great daily driver. I loved the noise my mk3 made...but now the 4mo has a decat and non-res milltek I definitely prefer the noise of the 4mo. As for power delivery, I had my limiter raised to 7100 when I got it mapped and it gives you the extra time through the gears that you "miss" when used to driving mk3's. Everything considered I prefer the mk4 as a car but probably would prefer to be seen driving a mk3 lol.

Double din fitted, and spent the past week painting the wooden centre trim in BMW graphite grey with a satin lacquer.

20130506_101725.jpg

20130506_115121.jpg

20130506_172732.jpg

20130506_175359.jpg

Still need to do the handles and will give the gearknob a try but will probably get an R-Line gearknob if it doesn't work.

• 3 weeks later...

Compomotive thv2 18x8. Purchased from reyland motorsport who I believe are currently the only supplier in the u.k to offer them in 18's. Thanks to reyland for supplying these beauties.

20130524_213951.jpg

20130524_214021.jpg

20130524_214556.jpg

Will be sorting the rubber later next week.