4motion head gasket problems??

my head gasket seems to have gone my 4mo (creamy goo, white smoke etc)

i was just thinking about replacing the whole engine, ive been quoted £500+ for the gasket job,

but ive found a engine for £400 and its £200 to have it fitted.

which one would you go for??

any advice would be appreciated. thanks

head gasket replacement....

how do you know the HG wont go on the new engine in X miles time? At least if you get the HG replaced on your current engine, you know where you are...

Personally, might be worth dropping Tony a message on here, im sure he will quote you happy for the work...

Pete

I did the H/G on my 4mo and it gives you the chance to check the condition of everything at the same time giving you peace of mind. The head gasket itself is £65 and all the other bits and pieces bring it up to over £100 in consumables but worthwhile.

as said,,, but its the other bits and how far do you go???

Is it just the gasket? Did you stop straight away is there any warpin' on the head and by how much do want to skim?

I would always suggest if you do this and whilst the head is off and engine is in bits.. do other stuff whilst there.. clutch/chains/etc/etc...

As said. the other engine may be perfectly fine... and you know yours..BUT do the fix right first time otherwise it'll cost ya again... and the other engine may have been okay..

If you go for the other engine

what warranty comes with it and can you go and see it before hand?

can you hear it run now??

Plus how long can you be without the car? If you get the 2nd engine you could then keep this one and rebuild ready for TURBO POWER!!!!!! and just drop it in when ready :D

i stopped the car right away it dident overheat, i was only thinking of buying the engine because my freind who is doing the work asked iff id want to because cost and work wise it seemed easyer. however you do make a point about the other engine that it could also go, im going to have to have a think first before i do anything,

I had a similar thing where i got oil in my water and water in my oil, found some broken down o rings and have replaced them, its nearly done. Needs some other o rings before i get a run but its been sat with oil in the water system for 18 months now and im not sure i could trust the engine (has the oil eaten any more rubber o rings or seals??)... Im on the look for another engine just to get it back on the road then ill probably rebuild this engine with my ultimate goal of forced induction in mind :)

was you still using your car as you noticed the oil in the water? if so was your car smoking aswell like they do iff the gaskets gone? but i know a person who breakes 4motions im buying my engine off him so ill see iff hes getting another in or iff he has another engine if you cant get one.

No it wasnt smoking just started making drity brown mayo sludge in the water & getting water in the sump. I

If he has a sub 90/95k mile BDE engine in for a good price i could well be interested, even better if it is up manchester way as i can get good rates on TNT from most NW postcodes :)

• 2 months later...

thanks to everyone for their comment and advice, however i bought the engine put it in and its been great, runs and drives miles better then my old one, i think my old engine was just a dog it never seemed to be right. but all's well with the 4mo now, thanks again people. also if anyone would like to buy my old engine for any reason just drop me a msg.