My VR6 Engine Rebuild Project

Hi all, Well I've been on here a while now and thought it was time I started a project thread about my engine rebuild. So the story so far . . .

I bought this nice golf gti with a 2.9 coraddo VR6 engine (98k miles on it) already fitted as a weekend/track car as I have a puma'd fiesta zetec s for getting to work and back. It came with loads of paperwork and I was pretty happy with my purchase :)

VR6-1.jpg

VR6-2.jpg

VR6-3.jpg

After two happy months of ownership I was driving along doing 40 then . . BANG!!!! Engine cuts out and I slowly roll to a stop. In my head I already had a pretty good idea what was wrong. So got it towed home and started stripping the engine down the next day to find that I was right in thinking it was the timing chain that had went.

Image266.jpg

Image307-1.jpg

Image302.jpg

Bent and snapped valves :(

Image414.jpg

So I decided that I would rebuild it and maybe go down the turbo route once its rebuilt. I took the engine and gearbox out and put the block on an engine stand to strip it right down. Then I cleaned and brushed down the block and gave it a few coats of black hammerite.

BlockPainted2.jpg

BlockPainted1.jpg

I managed to get hold of a new cylinder head that had been skimmed with new guides and seats re-ground. So I decided I would take all the valves out it to clean and polish them.

Image402.jpg

Then I set about cleaning all the pistons, the block face and the head after I refitted the valves.

Image407.jpg

Image409.jpg

Image412.jpg

Then a few days later all the parts I ordered arrived in the post.

Image398.jpg

And thats it for now, I will be updating this as I go from now on so keep an eye out ;) feel free to let me know what you think.

Cheers :)

• 1 month later...

Well thought I would post an update with what I've done so far. Got the new headgasket on and the timing chains with tensioners all fitted and timed up. Also fitted a couple of bits I got back from the powder coaters.

Image453.jpg

Image455.jpg

Image461.jpg

And here are some other parts just back from the powder coaters

Image460.jpg

Image458.jpg

Gotta love kawasaki green lol, Any comments welcome

• 3 years later...