My Corrado. going 24v!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guys, i realy needed this to work out with the amount of time iv put into it and it has, i can see why unfinsihed projects come up for sale but iv stuck through it, still loads of stuff to do but seeing it like this is motivation enough, i'll get some better pics once its out the shed but that wont be for another 3 weeks atleast,

right thought idd best tackle the rust repair on the tailgate as it needs welding and thats easier to do off the car rather then risk welding splatter on fresh paint, 2 main areas which need attention,

below number plate light surface rust has cracked the paint and bare metal is exposed also has a big nasty hole in the bottome right corner,

tailgaterepair1.jpg

tailgaterepair2.jpg

tailgaterepair3.jpg

tailgaterepair4.jpg

i did grind out the rust below the number plate light and treated it then skimed the whole are with filler but i forgot to take a pic,

tailgaterepair5.jpg

i was originaly planning on removeing the screen and properly deleting the wiper hole but due to how long the corrado has already taken me im not goin to bother for what its worth, i wanna drive it this year lol

block sanded the primer back, i used off cuts of cable ties to pack the window seal up so the paint goes underneith,

tailgatesealup.jpg

turned out alwite considering i was rushed and i didnt remove the glass,

tailgatepainted.jpg

also did these, all red rears, should make a huge improvment, was surprisingly easy to do aswell!

allredrears.jpg

allredrears2.jpg

also got the boot lid and sunroof fitted, so its actualy looking like a car!

still gona need to wetsand {2000} the bonnet also tidey up the doors and wings but everything from now on should be straight forward,

DSC00705.jpg got quoted £150 to install my windscreen ! so thats being done DIY or should i say D.I.M { doing it Myself!}

its a bonded screen, trouble is being from the channel islands they are the only place that does windscreens where i live, so its either them or diy!

i have a prety good idea on how to install it also have the bentley corrado workshop manual with instructions so its not to bad.

ah buisy sunday! got around to cleaning up my bumper gave it a machine polish,fitting tail lights and a few other bits n bobs! tomo gona get some cavity wax for the shutz gun and wax the crap out of the archs from inside then start assembleing the interior,

DSC00708.jpg

my bits n bobs from vw

DSC00710.jpg

DSC00713.jpg

DSC00712.jpg

DSC00711.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

thanks to the help of friends we got the windscreen fitted and the wireing looms through the bootlid and wired up,

screen fitting imo deffinatly a 2 man job, wasnt hard but it wasnt easy, its just a case of measure twice cut once, just had to dry fit the screen with the trims and seals and adjust the wedges along the bottom edge till its in , then remove the screen and apply adhesive then refit up against the wedges,

windscreenapplyingglue.jpg

windscreengoingin.jpg

windscreenfitted2.jpg

windcsreenfitted.jpg

got it outside today for the first time in months! let it get up to temp,

was abit smokey had water around the tail pipe , {condensation?}

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

still loads of little bits to do! but its now driveable!! and iv taken out a months temp insurance starting from tomo!! hehehe!!

cheers bud, yea i know what you mean black seems to be quite rare,a few pop up on ebay from time to time, infact this corrado used to be white!

but if it wasnt black i wouldnt of brought it, had no idea i'dd be doing this to it when i brought it though..

• 4 weeks later...

ill get some pics up as and when but details so far..

rubjonny is makeing me the loom up for £100 http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=234432

getting united motorsports to delete the immo and switch immisions off on the ecu {£100}, the down pipe needs attention, i figure i could use the top half of the 24v and then fab the bottom of the 12v to it? dont know until i start but thats the plan for that, front mount needs a spacer between the bolt and engine, useing the 12v water houseings, useing corrado pas with 24v pully with a none air con belt, my friend rick whos and audi technician recons we can get it done over a weekend, just waiting on my engine to arrive so i can send off the ecu and by then hopefully i will have my loom ready,

• 4 weeks later...

yea useing the 02a vr box,

havent been able to do anything except clean the engine up ,as i found out last month that the guy doing my loom

cant do anything untill june!! and he has 15 other looms to do before mine!,

so iv found another guy that can do it mid april, but hes never done a 24v into mk3/mk2 before but he is a vw/audi tech that specializes in g60's and has been given all the relevant info from john to do it, http://www.onlychargeddubs.co.uk/ so shouldnt be a problem,

iv sourced a 24v dp for £25.00 deliverd! and also have a spare 12v dp to play with aswell :)

should have my ecu back from united motorsports some time this comming week too!

so glad i didnt start stripping the front off the corrado! so anybody even thinking about doing an engine conversion

get your loom sorted and in your hands before you strip out your old motor! unless your circumstances arent like mine,

in the mean time my doors need painting , iv allways had a fancy for audi door handles so why not!

brought some draper chains for engine cranes but wasnt big enough :(

so i made up something useing a 2ft scaffold pole ,x2 wishbone bolts, and the draper crane chain cut in half ,

just tapped a thread for the wishbone bolt to hold the chain.

DSC00775.jpg

bit of strapping , which i doubled up and welded together

DSC00776.jpg

and voila! well chuffed with it! just tapp it with a hammer until its centered :)

DSC00782.jpg

so far , new water pump {plastic impeller to metal} , valve cover gasket, and thats about it,

DSC00780.jpg

hello A6 door handles :)

DSC00792.jpg

i even have a key for the drivers barrel, but have come to the conclusion that you cant get it to work

as for it to clear the window half of the barrel needs to go! gutted :(

DSC00791.jpg

this is prety much what the linkage will look like , iv got it working on my m8s old knackerd door,

DSC00818.jpg

and this is prety much the finished position of it, had a spirit level along the bottom edge of the handle {not the metal edge cut out which isnt square with anything} and its perfectly square with the lower swage line on the door so im happy with that,

DSC00817.jpg

should have this welded in soon!

DSC00786.jpg

DSC00827.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

u pol 2k 3:1 highbuild primer

DSC00831.jpg

solvent basecoat LC9Z with a 2k clearcoat

DSC00839.jpg

DSC00840.jpg

DSC00848.jpg

DSC00849.jpg

heres the linkage, i tryed useing bent wire but it flexed to much

DSC00846.jpg

DSC00832.jpg

DSC00833.jpg

DSC00837.jpg

still need to do drivers side but i'll drive it for a few weeks before i tackle that side.