Cabrio project - VR6 3.5 street built

so yesterday 10/09/11, i drove 600 miles, used £60 diesel and bought this....

IMG-20110910-00350.jpg

My new project - mk3.5 cabby.... she's a 2.0 8v (the GTi engine) electric everything 150k on the clock with full srvice history and had a recent cambelt and full service done prior to collection, BBS 2 piece splits (can't remember the name) :)

the body work is mint, few scratches here and there, but the car is booked in for the respray this week and a vento front end swap.

anyway, a quick wash and this is how it came out :)

Hood up...

IMG-20110911-00352.jpg

IMG-20110911-00355.jpg

IMG-20110911-00354.jpg

And down....

IMG-20110911-00356.jpg

IMG-20110911-00357.jpg

IMG-20110911-00359.jpg

The 2 piece.... deffo need a refurb :(

IMG-20110911-00358.jpg

so plan.... deffo doing - color change, vr6 motor, gonna get my jag rims fitted on to the cabby from the T4

thats it for a bit lol

:)

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep the thread going with loads of pics showing progress........what colour you going to?

Nice looking motor though.......

it's the bronze color of the new T5.... i love it was going to have my t4 sprayed... but as thats a daily i can't be bothered....

so my mk3 cab is gonna be my pride n joy.... i've not done a VR6 conversion before.... so i'm a litte scared to be honest... i have heard it's failry straight forward..... plug n play......

If you get any problems mate let me know and I'll talk you through it

I did mine in a day pretty much

Also it's much easier just to swap the engine and subframe all in 1 go then you can use all the vr hubs brakes etc

Have a look in my build thread mate I took a few pics when i did mine

I'm a auto sparky so it was pretty simple lol

Do you have a complete vr donor car

I just swapped the complete loom over but I had to mod the headlight loom and washer bottle plug

To do the subframe swap disconnect the front end (rad front panel etc) and remove it all

The disconnect the exhaust, water pipes to heater matrix, gear linkage etc

Disconnect the front brake lines and top mounts

The the steering rack u joint to the steering column

Then hook your engine crane up to the engine remove the front cross member (4 bolts, 2 eaither side at the front)

Then the 8 bolts that hold the main subframe on (under the car)

That's it took me just over a hour and a half

This way you don't have to play with the drive shafts etc

You will also need to swap the gear linkage as the vr is cable and the 1.6 is rods (just swap the hole lot 3 bolts job done)

You can make the rears 5 stud by just swapping the disks over

You will also need to mod the radiator panel to fit the vr6 one

Good luck mate

I'm a auto sparky so it was pretty simple lol

Do you have a complete vr donor car

I just swapped the complete loom over but I had to mod the headlight loom and washer bottle plug

To do the subframe swap disconnect the front end (rad front panel etc) and remove it all

The disconnect the exhaust' date=' water pipes to heater matrix, gear linkage etc

Disconnect the front brake lines and top mounts

The the steering rack u joint to the steering column

Then hook your engine crane up to the engine remove the front cross member (4 bolts, 2 eaither side at the front)

Then the 8 bolts that hold the main subframe on (under the car)

That's it took me just over a hour and a half

This way you don't have to play with the drive shafts etc

You will also need to swap the gear linkage as the vr is cable and the 1.6 is rods (just swap the hole lot 3 bolts job done)

You can make the rears 5 stud by just swapping the disks over

You will also need to mod the radiator panel to fit the vr6 one

Good luck mate

[/quote']

i will be looking for a complete VR donar car as thimgs would be a dam sight easier!!!

my car isn't a 1.6 she's a 2.0 8v matey, maybe make things alot easier possibly????

i think the loom will be the tricliest part... as i havnt gone this far into an engine conversion before!!!!

looking forward to the challenge tho!

Lovely project ahead dude!!

Keep us updated please!?!

One small thing as was mentioned.. U have a mk4 front end and could probably sell that to a mk3 bod on hear easily enough, but why go to vento when with the mk4 front setup you could look at a bora...? ;)

Don't think a bora would work as the front end is a mix of mk3 and mk4 parts

Bonnet: is mk3 but with washer jets removed and differnt cut outs for mk4 headlights

Wings: mk3 with mk4 headlight cut outs and longer on the bottom than a standard mk3 wing

Bumper: looks like a mk4 but different dimensions

So bora wont be a stright swap

The only thing that will swap stright onto a mk4 is the headlights everything else is differnt