STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST ON A VR6 .... ?

i HAVE A MILTEK EXHAUST SYSTEM AND HAVE JUST PUT A DECAT PIPE ON, BUT I STILL WANTED A BETTER NOISE... NOTHING BETTER THAN A REAL GRUNTING VR6 ENGINE. MY CAR IS A 1998 MK 3 VR6 GOLF. MY QUESTION IS.... CAN I TAKE THE MIDDLE BOX OUT AND HAVE JUST A BACK BOX ON ? OR WILL THIS COMPLETELY RUIN THE PERFORMANCE AND ENGINE ? PLEASE SOMEONE ANSWER. photo.php?fbid=10150194831776270&set=a.10150194830691270.311138.518016269&type=1&theater

Buy some ear plugs and depending on your local plod, be prepared to be pulled regularly.

Id also look up on an S59 that you could get issued.

Only giving advice. Mine was decat strait through for a year. Louder and better at higher revs... im sure it lost a small bit of low range pulling power though.

This is the issue. Stock exhausts have more grunt at lower revs and lower on the speedo.

Bigger exhausts with no boxes lose the lower end pull but unlock the higher end power... supposedly.

It is noticable, the power gains are higher up in each gear but like it has been said, you generally forfeit torque.

Mine was put on a rolling road with a stock aftermarket exhaust and had 183 bhp and 206 f/lbs torque.

I should imagine a strait through would put the bhp into the 190s and bring the torque into the 190s too.

I could be wrong.

Buy some ear plugs and depending on your local plod' date=' be prepared to be pulled regularly.

Id also look up on an S59 that you could get issued.

Only giving advice. Mine was decat strait through for a year. Louder and better at higher revs... im sure it lost a small bit of low range pulling power though.

[/quote']

But was it worth it ? Were u grinning everywhere you drove ? Lol

You've got to do these things once to try it...... my only advice on that is - don't chuck he standard exhaust in the bin! ;-)

You'll get better results with a nice system, like a Jetex 2.5". It'll give you more top end flow but without the horrendous racket to go with it!

You were already shouting,....be prepared to do lots more. A friend runs a de-catted tiny single box system on his he got from another friends old turbo and to say it is raucus is an understatement. I run a cat and a large rear box on a 2.5" system and its a nice compromise,you can still hear both the induction and the exhaust but also the radio/passengers

Kev, totally agree. My son fitted a 2 box Jetex to his Corrado VR6 and it was wonderful. Extremely civlised at tickover, low revs, not caning it, magical noise on full chat at upper end of rev range.

If you want a smile, fit a BMC CDA. My boy had a green cotton with the Jetex.....hairy, hairy noise when peddle to the metal.

i had a 3" system on mine with just a small back box in it and it was VERY loud .... just ask anyone who convoyed with me to any show .... gave me head achs but did make me laugh when u scared the pee put of other drivers and boy racers ....

LOL, you soon grow out of exhaust droning when you have to do a 2 or 3 hour journey on a motorway :-)

I've been around in this VW lark for many years and I've yet to see a substantial improvement in power over the stock exhaust. The Corrado's standard system in particular is rather good indeed.

Turbos and boost, different kettle of fish, but n'asp... small pipes for torque....big pipes for top end :-)