Hello all!!!

OK need some advice here to either stop me paranoid or start to prepare for big bills.........

This is what im planning to get done;

Tappets- they are quite noisy- not unbearable just not smooth like they should be.

Valve stem seals- occasionally if i put the car in 5th for say 15 - 20 minutes and suddenly drop to third and floor it a get a little blue smoke.

Im going to get both these problems sorted very soon and at the same time to cut down on labour costs.

Now the main thing that bothers me is this; if i suddenly plant the throttle in second (it seems most prominent in this gear cos of wind noise etc) at about 3.5 -4.5rpm i get a much louder tapping noise that does not sound right!! its coming from the drivers side of the engine. Its been like it for ages now. My VR has 68k on it 3 previous owners.... so not really high mileage, and the car now drive fairly sweet. What could it be???

1. just tappets but possibly 1 or more particularly fooked ones (which is what im hoping!)

2. Possible start of a timing chain issue?

3. Sticking piston ring?

4. something else

ANSWERS ON THE BACK OF A POSTCARD.......

Any ideas guys/ girls??? As usual any advice/ help is always greatly appreciated :-)

Yep just worked that one out by reading an issue of the golf while on the throne earlier :-p and noticed a cut away model of the 24v version.... thanks anyway hiten.... still will a sticking piston ring make a racket like this? Or would it be likely to constantly chuck out smoke if it was a ring? Im hoping its just a seriously faulty tappet.... Anyone else got any ideas????