Ok so im new to this vr6 stuff having just bought my first one, a mk3 and i have to say loving this car and looking forward to making a few changes although i havnt decided what yet;-) having a couple of small seething problems though i have a flat spot at around 4000 rpm and it idles low would that have anything to do with it, any help would be appreciated

thanks

Hello mate

thanks for the reply to my post, good to know that they idle low mine also sits at 500rpm when she's warm as for the flat spot I've cured that, after a good look round when i was fitting my induction kit yesterday i found a split hose coming from the air box replaced that and all seems fine now.

thanks again

Well the pipe i found that was split was on the air flow system i havnt really driven it since sorting the problem so i can't say if my fuel consumption has improved any but ill let you know when i know but on the short drive i took it for yesterday the vr is defo running better

Hope you solve your problem mate if i think of anything else ill let you know

L3 onp, well I've been driving my vr for the past 2 days and now that the leeky hose has been sorted my fuel consumption has improved so at a guess your problem may also be with the airflow system, hope you manage to get it sorted

L3 onp' date=' well I've been driving my vr for the past 2 days and now that the leeky hose has been sorted my fuel consumption has improved so at a guess your problem may also be with the airflow system, hope you manage to get it sorted

[/quote']

how many miles you getting to a tank then now?

Hi guys I'm all new to this vr6 stuff! Only owned it 3 days now and like said above ive got a flat spot in the rev range. Now this could be a very stupid thing im about to say but you said earlier about checking for a air leak, just bin to look at mine and the only air pipes i can see are the fat one coming off the air filter then a 30mm or so thick pipe coming off tht but tht disappears straight into the engine. please pity me if that is a silly comment to make but only bin used to a vw badge with 4 cylinders up until now! cheers

Sedge, the 30mm pipe your on about is the one i had that was split and since replacing it my vr has improved greatly but im not an expert on these cars as this is my first one and I've not had it for long, I've also changed my spark plugs since and its running great at the moment but im thinking about a new set of plug leads aswel as im not overly confident with the ones on the car as the number 5 one doesn't clip to the plug right and occasionally pops off. i hope you find your problem and get it sorted

Paceo, i can't tell you how much im gettin to a full tank as i don't usually fill it i just put in what n when i need as i debt like giving the government any more than i have to as they're robbing b***ards but i put £30 in the other day and im using it to get to work which in total for a week is around 130 miles so ill let you know when i need to fill again

Sedge' date=' the 30mm pipe your on about is the one i had that was split and since replacing it my vr has improved greatly but im not an expert on these cars as this is my first one and I've not had it for long, I've also changed my spark plugs since and its running great at the moment but im thinking about a new set of plug leads aswel as im not overly confident with the ones on the car as the number 5 one doesn't clip to the plug right and occasionally pops off. i hope you find your problem and get it sorted

[/quote']

a note for future. G3 16V coils fit a dizzy VR6 ( you need to change the bolts ) with no noticible lose of performance. they may give a shorter service life but are a fraction of the price.

Sedge' date=' the 30mm pipe your on about is the one i had that was split and since replacing it my vr has improved greatly but im not an expert on these cars as this is my first one and I've not had it for long, I've also changed my spark plugs since and its running great at the moment but im thinking about a new set of plug leads aswel as im not overly confident with the ones on the car as the number 5 one doesn't clip to the plug right and occasionally pops off. i hope you find your problem and get it sorted

[/quote']

Cheers for the reply! its a plastic pipe with sort of a corrugation to it? thats the best way i can describe it! did you manage to pick one up new or have to find a second hand one? yeah was thinking of replacing plugs too just because i dont have much history with the engine so thought a good service cant do it any harm :)

Hello again sedge i just got a bit of pipe from a local car parts supplier and put it on and it seems to be doing the job but if you want to replace it with a proper bit of hose then tour might have to go to vw or a decent vehicle dismantler

I thinkin im gonna go the same way as you, called in at vw today just to ask and they only sell the pipe as part of a kit with the bigger pipe that goes between the filter and the throttle body. And you can have that for the bargin price of.... £110!!!!! Think I'll be giving that one a miss! did you just replace it from after the electrical plug near the throttle body? cheers for your help :)

That is worth remembering! anything to save a few pennies if it can be done :) Right sorry to drag this back up but the bit ive circled in red, this is what im replacing right? Beth did you get rid of the bigger plastic bit in the middle of that pipe too or just replace the bit above it?

2011-08-15170002.jpg

Thanks again * I am a bit hopeless at times*

Now that's a different set up to mine i just replaced the bit of pipe which appears to be under your main air pipe,my vr has an alloy main air intake pipe with a short piece of goes going to the plastic housing for the sensor and i just replaced the short bit between the alloy intake pipe and the sensor. don't worry about it im new to alot of this vr stuff aswel i can just help when.I've done the job myself:-P hope you manage to get it sorted though