what mods for a 2.9l

Hi all

I am new here and to owning a corrado vr6 and have a few questions. I plan to use my car for track days mainly and at the weekends so I plan to do a few mods to the engine. I was hoping someone can give me some advice. The mods I plan are as follows:

Megasquirt ecu

Motorbike throttle bodies

Upgraded cams( newman or cat?)

6 branch manifold

decat pipe(I have heard you lose power doing this though and it is required for an mot?

I also plan to fit a 3.6 FD or swap the box completely for a v5 box with lightened flywheel.

Is there anything there that won't work or has anyone any advice

Thanks

Ryan

welcomes mate, why not do the basic mods or go balls out!

either turbo or charger, you'll save alot more cash by doing either one of them , to do up a vr6 motor NA , you going to splutter out cash that could have been saved for the vr turbo...

just change your final drive to that of the G60 and uprate your braking system..

Cams - piper does good on a vr esp 268's or even 276's ( i have a set for sale by the way)

the motorbike throttles won't give you much, better to go with a short manifold.... increases rpm's but takes some away from the torque.

the other boys will give you a more detailed run down ;)

nope. OBD2 conversions are quite popular as it will make the engine run / drive that much smooother, as it has all the later stuff like MAF, throttlebody, lambda, ECU, inlet manifold etc... usually gives more low end torque.... too, will be doing mine in a month or so on the C.

Pete

nope. OBD2 conversions are quite popular as it will make the engine run / drive that much smooother' date=' as it has all the later stuff like MAF, throttlebody, lambda, ECU, inlet manifold etc... usually gives more low end torque.... too, will be doing mine in a month or so on the C.

Pete

[/quote']

ok, thanks for clearing that up for me.... silly me thought the C and early vr motors are the same.....

Yeah the OBD2's extra torque comes from the smaller bore throttle body and smaller intake plenum. It doesn't quite have the top end pull of the 2.9 Corrado engine, but in the real world you'd be hard pressed to seperate the two......

OBD2 has much better software too. VAG / Bosch's mapping usually consists of seperate maps for just about every conceivable driving scenario. In OBD1, I think it has 16 if I remember right. OBD2 has something like 64, although quite a few of those will be the throttle controller maps, but all in all, it is a much better ECU, especially for boost :-)

So whats required to do the obd 2 conversion...Is it the inlet manifold, throttle body, wiring loom and ecu? I take it that it's from a later model vr6 as I have the early 2.9 vr6 engine from what I can gather.

I do fancy going turbocharged but it is the hassle of stripping down the engine to change the pistons etc.

Ryan

i would definatley avoid taking out a 2.9 to put a 2.8 in. i couldnt warrant taking one out and not putting a 24V in. have it vagcommed and rolling roaded before you do anything i know people with pretty standard obd1's that run 190ish bhp and my obd2 only made 174 - no faults on vagcom serviced about a month before. at the end of the day why swap a running 15+ year old block for a mystery obd2 15+year old block? and if the 2.9s are no good how come the demand for them is huge? go figure.

i would definatley avoid taking out a 2.9 to put a 2.8 in. i couldnt warrant taking one out and not putting a 24V in. have it vagcommed and rolling roaded before you do anything i know people with pretty standard obd1's that run 190ish bhp and my obd2 only made 174 - no faults on vagcom serviced about a month before. at the end of the day why swap a running 15+ year old block for a mystery obd2 15+year old block? and if the 2.9s are no good how come the demand for them is huge? go figure.

You would only be swapping the few bits off the top of the engine, not the whole engine!

So whats required to do the obd 2 conversion...Is it the inlet manifold' date=' throttle body, wiring loom and ecu? I take it that it's from a later model vr6 as I have the early 2.9 vr6 engine from what I can gather.

I do fancy going turbocharged but it is the hassle of stripping down the engine to change the pistons etc.

Ryan

[/quote']

Loom, ECU, Throttle body, MAF & lambda are the biggies. You'll need to send your ECU off to C2 or Stealth if you don't want the immobiliser, otherwise you'll need to get the key, coil reader & transponder from the donor car too.

People fit the OBD2 inlet manifold because the throttle bolt spacings are different, but you could get an adapter plate made if you wanted to keep the 2.9 manifold, or just cut and shut the OBD2 flange on :-)

If the car in question is a Corrado, then it's a bit of a faff getting the loom in. There's a wiki guide for it on the Corrado forum. If it's in a MK3 Golf, then it's pretty much plug and play.

I plan on using my own megasquirt ECU anyway so all I would need is the loom, inlet manifold and throttle body along with the lambda sensor.

what is the differences between my original manifold and throttle body? is mines a larger diameter?

Also I plan to use a decat pipe once the car has been through its MOT but will it make any noticeable difference?

Ryan

• 3 weeks later...

i would recomend getting a miltek exhaust with decat pipe,made a massive difference compared to the drain pipe fitted by a previous owner, made it very smooth and tightened up the throtle response in the lower rev range, sounds good to :)