Hello all, ain't been on for a couple of weeks, its good to be back. Glas to see the RR day went well.

Still lookin for a highline. Looked at one 2day, not sure so it would be good to see what other think.

Every thing was fine with the car in general, a few blemishes on the paint work (it happens) Interior mint. FSH inc receipts. Lowered, stainles exhaust with serbring backbox.

The worry - the original engine had blown up on the guy, apparently it had the wrong oil put in which had caused the engine to do this.

A new engine had been fitted which had come from a crashed VR with 30K on the clock. He had a receipt for just under 3K which listed everything that had been changed, engine, belts, gaskets etc, also a new clutch had been put in.

It drove really well, don't get me wrong it went like shit off a shovel.

If it passes an RAC or AA check and the HPI it can't be too bad right?

Binliner, have you seen the MK3 golf in colchester with an RSi badge on the back?

the basic AA check is pretty poor - basically a walk round the car which you could do yourself!!

the most expensive one (think there is 3 different checks to choose from) has the car on ramps etc and driven... probably as good as the RAC one... not sure of cost though - £200????

As for a car with a new engine.... you may find that it will cost less than another VR6 with the initial engine... Ok, so something went wrong in the past, but if the work was done, and preferably at a good garage, then I can't see any problems. When was the engine replaced? If it was in the last year you may have some warranty left on the work....

Mike

No havent seen that mk3... but have seen a lot of golfs & rados around town lately

As has been said do the Hpi & rac checks and as long as everything necessary has been replaced properly shouldnt be any probs... did you see where the work was done?

the basic AA check is pretty poor - basically a walk round the car which you could do yourself!!

the most expensive one (think there is 3 different checks to choose from) has the car on ramps etc and driven... probably as good as the RAC one... not sure of cost though - £200????

As for a car with a new engine.... you may find that it will cost less than another VR6 with the initial engine... Ok' date=' so something went wrong in the past, but if the work was done, and preferably at a good garage, then I can't see any problems. When was the engine replaced? If it was in the last year you may have some warranty left on the work....

Mike[/quote']

Doh, ain't quite mastered this quote business yet.

The work was done in the last 4-5 months so there should be some warranty left, i didn't think of asking. As stated all the receipts are there and the guy came accross as genuine. He bought the car for his wife but liked it so much he drove it himself and bought his wife an A class, he now drives a 5 series BMW, also the neighbourhood looked ok.

Think i'm gonna get the check done.

I thought tho, i've often seen in max power and such of people blowin engines on a regular occurance, so as you say, as long as the work has been done well and all checks out then if luck is on my side there shouldn't be a problem.

Good point steve, i'll get on the blower to the guy and see if he's got it, i'm far to trusting you know!

Been checkin out the inspections available, bloody hell, expensive.

Anyone had or know anyone thats had any experiance of greenflag inspections. I am a member of greenflag so would probably get a discount.

From the looks of the best RAC to the middle RAC is that they don't check so much of the interior stuff mainly door fittings and seals and interior sills for 150 quid less.

My wife drives a Shogun 2001 3.5 V6 PETROL!! and I had the AA do the top check which cost 280UKP,expensive,yes,but when the report comes back and reades like a book and you get an initial call from the engineer on compleation giving you a verbal report.the engineer could tell me that the car has the original paint due to the constant level of paint thickness (as specified by the manufacture) on every pannel,so no resprays here!!

I needed It done properly as my wife and daughter use the car every day,the engineer report was very detailed and I now have peace of mind when my family uses the car!

Hope this helps,

Mike.

Spoke to the RAC today and they will only let me do the top check anyway due to the age of the car being borderline 7 years old.

Mike, did you do the top check with 3 month warranty, if so its cone up to £324/334 non member/member.

Spoke to the RAC today and they will only let me do the top check anyway due to the age of the car being borderline 7 years old.

Mike' date=' did you do the top check with 3 month warranty, if so its cone up to £324/334 non member/member.[/quote']

Remember I went with the AA and I wasn't a member but thinking about it now the price was closer to the 320 mark!!

Mike

Money well spent tho i'd guess, peace of mind and a safe car are the most important definately.

Without the warranty thing the AA and RAC are pretty similar.

The RAC were pretty good today tho cos they offered me the members price even tho i'm with greenflag, sweet :)